To think that ALL smoking (cigarettes and e-cigs) should be banned in public places?!

(363 Posts)
babybearsmummy Mon 03-Mar-14 16:52:42

I've been sat in my GP waiting room with my little girl waiting for my appt and in walks a lady puffing away on an e-cig. She hasn't put it away and is just sat smoking it.

AIBU to think this is rude and that, just because it's not an actual cigarette, the same rules should apply, mainly because it's stinking the whole waiting room out!?!

LimitedEditionLady Mon 03-Mar-14 17:48:44

I smoke but i dont smoke if im in a public place unless its a smoking area like outside a pub for example.I hate walking my ds past people smoking in the street too and i dont care if thats unreasonable because thats how i feel.I dont mind ecigs but I dont think its good around children because Id rather personally that my ds didnt ask what it was.Yes pot calling kettle because I smoke but ds doesnt know I do and Im not proud of it just weak grin

If more people start campaigning for e-cigs to be banned that will confirm what I already suspected. That for a lot of people it wasn't so much about the dangers as the opportunity to be controlling.

Ledare Mon 03-Mar-14 17:50:30

Katie, so did I blush

Pubes, you're the one with the dried fish flavour, yes?

If it winds you up so much, try researching vaping. You'll soon find something else to be concerned about.

WorraLiberty Mon 03-Mar-14 17:52:34

There's not an e-cig in the world that smells like a real cigarette

OP you've just being picky and a bit judgy

Would you have started this thread if it had been her perfume you could smell?

Ledare Mon 03-Mar-14 17:55:41

It's quite encouraging really. Vaping must be a "thing" now that threads on AIBU have been started grin

Haha not really Ledaire grin

Crab e liquid exists though, I think the OP might NBU if it was crab flavour.

lilola Mon 03-Mar-14 17:56:28

An e cig that smells like a real cig?! utter bollocks

ShitOnAStick Mon 03-Mar-14 17:56:32

Well I don't really like seeing people smoking (e cig or normal) but an ecig isn't actually doing any harm to others is it?
I think in a doctors waiting room I'd have no problem with this, it can be bloody stressful waiting if you've got symptoms you're worried about. Doctors surgeries are quite anxiety provoking for some people so I think YABU. Some people smoke more when stressed.

Ledare Mon 03-Mar-14 18:00:21

Crab? <faints>

MyPreciousRing Mon 03-Mar-14 18:00:30

Can't win can we?
Social pariahs, that's us hmm

I gave up 'real' smoking three weeks ago and I feel fabulous after smoking heavily since I was fifteen.

Don't ban my ecigs too

magimedi Mon 03-Mar-14 18:01:36

I've been vaping for 18 months & use 'tobacco' flavour liquid. It smells nothing whatsoever like cigarettes of any description.

YABU

SirChenjin Mon 03-Mar-14 18:03:02

Yep, they should be banned in public. e-cigs normalise smoking, something we've fought for bloody years to stop in preventative services and they aren't odourless. Definitely a backwards step.

Ledare Mon 03-Mar-14 18:03:29

Mind you, no worse than someone who has eaten scampi and lemon crisp things or even worse, the rank aroma of those microwave Chinese cardboard meals.

BackOnlyBriefly - Yes! I find people's reactions to vaping really interesting. I've come to the conclusion that some people are just really pissed off that we're enjoying it!

This made me laugh.

Ledare Mon 03-Mar-14 18:04:47

"Non-smoker Tom Logan said: “My neighbour has a much better job than me and a far more attractive girlfriend, but as he’s a smoker I could always take comfort in the thought of him dying an agonising death"

grin

They normalise vaping not smoking.

SirChenjin Mon 03-Mar-14 18:05:27

No, they normalise smoking.

Ledare Mon 03-Mar-14 18:05:30

“I just hope there isn’t some dangerous side-effect that the manufacturers have kept secret. But I’m sure people who sell nicotine products would never do that.”

hmm Quite.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 03-Mar-14 18:06:31

I thought the same rules did apply.

Work would throw a fit if I merrily puffed away on a e-cig at my desk!

Ledare Mon 03-Mar-14 18:07:09

But not if you imbibed caffeine or used a nicotine patch?

I think we've become so anti smoking that some people think it's ok to dislike someone who used to sm

SirChenjin Mon 03-Mar-14 18:07:23

My work would too. I work in the NHS. Go figure.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 03-Mar-14 18:08:09

I've noticed lots of very young teenagers using e-cigs.

The fact they come in flavours seems to be encouraging young people to erm...become addicted to nicotine.

They're a good enough idea but I imagine there will the rules placed on them fairly shortly. A bit of regulation of that market probably wouldn't go amiss either.

ginmakesitallok Mon 03-Mar-14 18:08:44

People do realise that there is no general right to not be offended? As said above smoking indoors was banned because of public health concerns, because of the danger of second hand smoke. There is no danger with second hand vaping.

They don't normalise smoking - they normalise vaping!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now