To think that Desigual clothes are unbelievably ugly?

(71 Posts)
teaandthorazine Mon 03-Mar-14 15:33:28

There's a banner ad on my screen for Desigual clothes - those weird squiggly designs make my head hurt. Their coats always look like the sartorial version of weeping clowns painted on black velvet.

Who in the name of sweet baby Jesus actually wears this stuff?

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Mon 03-Mar-14 15:36:40

I really like some of them. Dh has a shirt which is very lovely. They are made for skinny Spanish youngsters though.

Weegiemum Mon 03-Mar-14 15:38:26

My 14yo dd has a Desigual dress and she looks stunning in it. But she's tall, slender, long hair, very pretty. They wouldn't suit me! But I am always amazed how great both she and the dress look when she puts it on!

GrendelsMum Mon 03-Mar-14 15:38:52

I love them - and I'm no longer a skinny youngster!

I would have worn it as a grungy 18 year old in 1988, but now I think it's horrible.

BillyBanter Mon 03-Mar-14 15:41:06

I like them. I can't wear them, as they are very much not made to fit me, but I do quite like them.

msrisotto Mon 03-Mar-14 15:43:23

I like them too. Their skirts are very easy to wear with a plain top and look bright and colourful.

MrsBucketxx Mon 03-Mar-14 15:47:10

no fugly, not classy enough for me.

BringMeTea Mon 03-Mar-14 15:55:34

YANBU. I have a lovely friend aged around 47 who loves it and wears it a LOT. I hate the whole look anyway but I do feel it may only 'work' on youngsters.

Just no.

ElenorRigby Mon 03-Mar-14 15:55:55

YANBU
The one Desigual item I bought for DD was made of horrible thin fabric and DD wouldn't wear it.
Her new fav is Molo, colourful but fun.

aquashiv Mon 03-Mar-14 15:56:35

Some designs are bit out there but I like them I don't like the lets all adopt the safe same look.

LeslieKnope Mon 03-Mar-14 15:57:32

Cheap, nasty and eye-wateringly ugly.

I don't care how Spanish or skinny you are.

CalamitouslyWrong Mon 03-Mar-14 16:00:25

It's not really my thing. I suspect the clothes would look better somewhere sunny than they would here.

cobaltcow Mon 03-Mar-14 16:02:26

I like them.

teaandthorazine Mon 03-Mar-14 16:10:44

There was a big Desigual shop near the Barcelona hotel I stayed in a couple of years ago.

The clothes were still fugly even in Spain grin

WorraLiberty Mon 03-Mar-14 16:11:40

I saw the ad when I logged on this morning and thought someone had slipped me an acid tab.

LeslieKnope Mon 03-Mar-14 16:14:14

My sister lives in Spain and married into a Spanish family.

The women's sense of style is extremely conservative so maybe Desigual is only outlet for those who have a 'wacky' style? grin

pictish Mon 03-Mar-14 16:14:18

I almost like them, but just not quite...and the percent that I don't like them makes me think they're awful.
That doesn't make sense. What I mean is...they're just way off the mark. They could be nice...but somehow they're not.

BikeRunSki Mon 03-Mar-14 16:14:52

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I don't get Desigual, but then, I am old and boring and most of my clothes come from Sainsbury's, Gap and Boden. I am also not fashion forward enough to care that my "look" has been jeans, stripey tops and Cons or Docs for more than 20 years.
On the other hand, my sister loves them and looks good.
Each to their own.

lisac99 Mon 03-Mar-14 16:14:54

I love them, think they're amazing. Sadly their XL, which is a 16 is currently too snug on me, so I am using this as motivation to continue my weight loss.

2 Stone to go and I will go on a shopping spree and my first stop will be Desigual grin.

It's just so different from the boring stripes / dots / mundane colours you see day to day and they actually do V neck tops as well as round necks, so even if you've got a rather ample chest, they can flatter both.

teaandthorazine Mon 03-Mar-14 16:17:00

Ah you see, I know what you mean, pictish. It's as if they actively spoiled really beautiful clothes.

I've nothing against colour, or pattern (well maybe pattern, a bit). I love a coat with high collar and a nipped-in waist, but these are just Wrong.

TwinklySprout Mon 03-Mar-14 16:18:07

I love them! Well, lots of their stuff, anyway. But I love dark colours and ornate designs - my idea of sartorial hell would be a plain white blouse. Am typing this whilst wearing this top with jeans:-
lovely top

Some of it is lovely, some is just too much imo.
I love their bags, and when I can justify buying a new one it's going to be a Desigual one.

I also have a dress by them which is black with butterfly lace prints on it and absolutely gorgeous.

CalamitouslyWrong Mon 03-Mar-14 16:20:07

Most of the skirts were quite ordinary really. I was disappointed after looking at the dresses (the pixelated ones at the top of the first page of dresses are particularly loud).

Stinklebell Mon 03-Mar-14 16:49:09

Some of it I like, some of it I hate.

There's a dress I've got my eye on at the moment, I can't decide whether I like it or not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now