To wonder why creosote tans, blinding white teeth, false eyelashes and BIG hair....

(223 Posts)
lazyhound444 Fri 28-Feb-14 14:57:14

became the norm? I appreciate that not all young ladies adopt this look (my own DD being one of them) but I couldn't help feeling a bit confused skiffing through my DS's Instagram last night at the endless duck face pout selfies of young ladies he goes to school with who all look exactly the same because of this current "uniform". It just made me feel a bit depressed. I'm 48 but when I was young we had a bit more diversity and of course we were au naturel. AIBU?

AngelaDaviesHair Fri 28-Feb-14 15:33:07

nobody suits a bubble perm and electric blue mascara

I'll have you know I looked magnificent in my Jheri curl perm and blue mascara. Like Steadman and the pouty girl from 5 Star, only better.

Sleepyfergus Fri 28-Feb-14 15:34:44

I work with women (30yo +) like this. Prior to our xmas team lunch, they rushed to the loos and came out with massive hair, heavily mascara laden eyes, bronzed within an inch of their lives and did all the pouty stuff in photos.

I find it a bit weird. They look a bit like plastic wags but would be horrified if anyone said that to them.

lazyhound444 Fri 28-Feb-14 15:35:17

I'm sure you did Angela. However, I have no doubt that you look so much more magnificent without it! smile

Laquitar Fri 28-Feb-14 15:35:21

Ha yes! Imagine if we had facebook those days to post our new perm!

brighteyedbusytailed Fri 28-Feb-14 15:36:20

teenagers have veneers? do they live in chelsea?

Half the teenagers round here have braces. Ruins the pout somewhat. grin

lazyhound444 Fri 28-Feb-14 15:38:51

I started the thread party because of the Instagram photos that had me really hmm but also because my DD was attending a senior school dance a few weeks ago. Her friends came round to get ready and when they left they all looked fabulous and every one was individual and differnet looking. Checking her photos of the event however was just depressing as the rest of the girls there looked like clones. It concerns me that young men find this attractive and are bypassing all these independent thinkers. Maybe I'm reading too much into this! blush

YouTheCat Fri 28-Feb-14 15:41:20

There's a mural painted on an underpass in Sunderland. It depicts people of all colours and even includes a lovely orange one, complete with exposed thong top. grin

Melonbreath Fri 28-Feb-14 15:43:13

My mum has read this over my shoulder. Although she agrees its ridiculous she points out at least they're making an effort with their appearances however misguided.

This is because in my school days my chums and I followed the grunge (what she calls tramp look) look. She doesn't get it was STILL an effort to wear a nirvana t shirt under my dad's old ripped jumpers, panda my eyes and tippex my DMs. My tights didn't artfully ladder themselves, it took ages with a carefully bitten nail. And cost a fortune to replace every time!

grin

I can't believe in urban outfitters you can buy jumpers ready grunged. At £50.

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Feb-14 15:44:31

Yes I think you're reading far too much into it to say you find it 'depressing'.

I just find it mildly amusing...just like my Mum found my teen style mildly amusing and I'm sure my Gran thought the same about hers.

If I got an approving look from my Mum before I went clubbing, I would have been tempted to go and change straight away grin

JammyPodger Fri 28-Feb-14 15:44:44

I don't understand the huge bun on top of head look. Hideous. A few of my friends do it though so can't say anything.

lazyhound444 Fri 28-Feb-14 15:46:13

I'd forgotten about the donut bun look. It's horrific.

CaptainHindsight Fri 28-Feb-14 15:47:26

"If I got an approving look from my Mum before I went clubbing, I would have been tempted to go and change straight away"

Worra grin

I used to put more "modest" tops over my actual outfit before discarding in the back garden after I had left the house.

My DF used to nod approvingly...if only he knew.

AngelaDaviesHair Fri 28-Feb-14 15:48:50

Oh lazy, you silver-tongued charmer, you!

learnasyougo Fri 28-Feb-14 15:51:54

it will date. just as perms, flicked hair date those who were teens in the 80s or 70s. the conformism is nothing new, nor is it worse now than when you were young, just that back then you were 'in it' and could see the diversity among your peers that you can't see new as an outsider. There are still a variety 'types' out there, each with their own uniform, and a few individuals here and there who don't conform. shall be ever thus.

Burma Fri 28-Feb-14 15:52:52

Oh it is our job as 48 year olds to be horrified by teens - they wouldn't be happy if we weren't outraged would they grin!

I was an avid Siouxie and The Banshees devotee and my parents' thought I'd turned into satan back when I was 16 and here I am now listening to The Archers and baking cakes for tea so I don't worry overly.

Burma Fri 28-Feb-14 15:53:55

Yes and had a perm too with a ghastly fringe and blue eyeliner! Thank god there was no FB back then...

TheBookofRuth Fri 28-Feb-14 15:56:00

I was just thinking this morning that young women do strange things to their eyebrows these days, having passed several in half an hour with very thick, dark, heavily penciled ones. Then I remembered that in my teens and early 20s I and all my friends plucked ours to oblivion, so was hardly in a position to criticise.

Virtually no brows, lashings of thick black mascara and piles and piles of loose face powder (constantly reapplied as no one would be seen dead with even a hint of a shiny t-zone). No blusher and either clear lip gloss or very dark purpley lipstick. Hair was either very long and very straight, or very short - a few of us, me included, had a pixie cut a la Winona Ryder.

We must have looked as odd to grown women as young girls do to me now, but none of us would've considered doing anything differently.

lazyhound444 Fri 28-Feb-14 15:57:00

Ladies, you've made me feel so much better. Love the different perspectives and the realisiation that it twas ever thus. Thanks!

babyheaves Fri 28-Feb-14 15:57:37

I'm sure that the cottage loaf giant hair but will date soon, but it amuses me.

No one looks good with painted of eyebrows. Ever.

lazyhound444 Fri 28-Feb-14 15:58:48

...oh and I had the Annie Lennox/Winona crop going on. Thought I was the mutt's nuts but photographic evidence may challenge this assertion.

ChubbyKitty Fri 28-Feb-14 15:58:59

Captain we must be around the same age! Sometimes I still rock the emo fringe and gunshot wound back-combed monstrosity although it's a sensible shade of blonde now grin

Still have the holes for my snakebites too. I was clearly epic, because my lip rings were rainbow metal. wink

I hope this orange duck thing passes soon. I get some right funny looks when I'm out and about for not partaking.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 28-Feb-14 15:59:22

It's not just teens though is it. It's the TOWIE look which so many women follow like sheep.

TheBookofRuth Fri 28-Feb-14 16:00:13

Ha, Melonbreath - I had to hide my carefully distressed DMs from my grandad, because every time he saw them he'd take them away and polish them to a gleaming shine! "They're good boots, them", he'd say. "Last you years if you look after them."

At the time it infuriated me. Remembering it now brings a tear to my eye to think of him lovingly cleaning and polishing them for me.

TheZeeTeam Fri 28-Feb-14 16:02:30

Are teenagers in Britain getting veneers?!! Why?!! Why not just get good braces and a good oral hygienist?!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now