To expect a 5 year old not to bite me.

(66 Posts)
Cravey Fri 28-Feb-14 12:06:14

A five year old dog yh I could accept. Wouldn't be happy of course but maybe understand. A five year old child though. Aibu in expecting his parent to at least tell him off. Not laugh and say oh he's so bad tempered. He bit my bloody hand so hard it drew blood and I think I might want a tetanus. I knew there was a reason I don't like children. This is one of them. Really though to be serious I'm not wrong to expect him to be disciplined am I ? Oh and the reason for the bite. Because he wanted a camera to play with. A four hundred pound camera that doesn't belong to me. I said no. He bit me. I should add I've known this little boy for all his life and I don't think he has any special needs. Although if he had I'm not saying he should be able to go round biting people. That's him struck off the xmas list.

brokenhearted55a Sun 02-Mar-14 14:37:19

To draw blood that wasnt just a nip. He must have dug his teeth in hard for a fair amount of time.

The hell with the parents as a reflex I probably would have hit him good and bloody hard to make him let go. Then I would have thrown them all out of my house.

Chippednailvarnish Sat 01-Mar-14 21:44:26

She sounds like the sort of mother who you see on the news saying "he's a good boy really" after the DS has violently murdered someone!
Good riddance.

Cravey Sat 01-Mar-14 21:04:01

She bought him into the bar today with a bunch of flowers. Which I accepted happily and even gave him a glass of juice. She still thinks it was ok though. She made it clear the flowers were because I seemed upset, not because he bit me. I showed him my hand and said how much he had hurt me and he seemed to grasp it. I also told him nice kids don't bite. She asked if I would reserve her a table for tomorrow afternoon. It's a bar thing. We have music every Sunday afternoon and food and stuff. I told her no sorry all gone. She will see they haven't if she's in early enough tomorrow, but I don't care it's not my problem. She seems to have no concept of what is wrong or right. I cannot be doing with her. No more coffes at mine. And no more tables saved at the front. Her perogotive not to discipline her child. Mine not to save her a table. Childish but satisfying.

finallydelurking Sat 01-Mar-14 15:06:31

Wow just WOW. A 5 year old child that doesn't have any SEN that still goes around biting is so far beyond normal and acceptable behaviour it's not true. The parents attitude shows you exactly why he behaves like that and I feel very sorry for him, he will not do well in the school system.

Any normal parent would have apologised profusely.

Hope your hand is better soon. I know how much they hurt, i had one who was a very prolific biter as a toddler, but even she only ever bit me

Also he's not a relative. But I don't see what difference that would have made to be honest.

It shouldn't make any difference. But from your description of the parents non reaction, I wondered whether this was a case of familiarity breeding contempt, and whether they'd have tripped over themselves to apologise to a friend/stranger.

Obviously since established this is not the case.

DraggingDownDownDown Sat 01-Mar-14 14:44:32

Take photos of the bite incase any more comes of it in the future eg them spreading rumours about you to try and ruin your business or reputation

Brilliant-well done.

TheGreatHunt Sat 01-Mar-14 07:24:30

This is shocking but also the parents sound like loons. If my kid bit you I would be mortified and more than apologetic.

Tell the mum to join MN and start and AIBU.

Oh my god! Only a nip?! Seriously, you must be well more restrained than me!! Only a nip!!!!! I'd have gone absolutely crazy!
Even if it was 'only a nip', children aged 5 should not be doing that!!! My three year old has never bitten anybody and I would be mortified if she did!
What a family! You are well rid!!

Cravey Sat 01-Mar-14 01:25:16

Well guys, they turned up tonight. Had a mini tantrum off mummy of the year because I hadn't saved her a table. She asked why. I kind of said oh sorry I've been busy in the office. Bathing my hand. You knw where your son bit me. She replied that it was only a nip. Her husband never said a word. So I told him to take my hubby's advice and get his kid a muzzle. It went over her head. It really did. She sat down and I sent them a jug of the new cocktail for tonite. Called the bite. Blood red. That did not go over her head. She had another mini tantrum. And said I was taking the piss. To which I replied that yes I was. Funnily enough they left after that. Not before I billed them haha. I don't think we will be seeing them again. And she is certainly not coming into my home again. It's sad for the little lad though. He's never going to know any boundaries. So so sad.

123caughtaflea Fri 28-Feb-14 21:08:27

A six year old in a school locally bit a member of staff hard enough to bruise, but not draw blood. He was (temporarily) excluded, predictably enough. 'It wasn't that bad' would not have saved him from the exclusion at all!!!!

mrstigs Fri 28-Feb-14 20:54:18

Christ, my two year old bit me yesterday (I got in the way of an epic tantrum), it didn't even break the skin and it still hurts like hell today. A bite from a stronger 5 year old must have seriously bloody hurt! And the reaction from the parent is just shock
Hope they turn up tonight looking suitably bashful with a proper apology op.

Hexbugsmakemeitch Fri 28-Feb-14 20:52:43

To be fair to the child it's not his fault, clearly he's suffering by being brought up by idiots.

God help them if he does it to another child at school? He 'll never have any friends, no one will want their children to play with him.

I have been bitten by (very, very small) children and it is excruciating and none them ever actually broke the skin.

How could you not just be mortified by your child doing this?

starlight1234 Fri 28-Feb-14 20:51:14

They sound delightful..Can see why you went round for coffee confused

Shocking behaviour of her husband.... Do wonder what on earth she had to be upset about ?

hoobypickypicky Fri 28-Feb-14 20:47:21

"Oh and he also mentioned that maybe the little lad needs a muzzle."

Your husband is a true hero. I think I love him.

The child's lucky. My instinctive reaction would be to strike out as I lifted my hand away. I don't think I'd feel guilty if that's what I did either.

The mother wouldn't have left my premises without tears on her part either. What a horrible, indulgent parent. Ugh.

EugenesAxe Fri 28-Feb-14 20:39:04

I'm not often shock but I really, really was at this one. I applaud these things:

1) The fact you didn't swear at him; I would certainly said 'what the fuck do you think you're doing?!'

2) The fact you didn't physically restrain him or get him off you

3) The fact you own a bar

And your DH. Again, if this was my child I would go MENTAL.

just marking place because I'm dying to know what happens tonight! )and no, he shouldn't have bitten you!)

BalloonSlayer Fri 28-Feb-14 18:38:32

If they come in, go up to them and have a tantrum and declare you want something expensive they have. Snarl a bit and get pulled away by one of your staff

Staff member could then explain that you were bitten by some sort of nasty zombie creature today and they are worried you are now turning into one yourself.

KrevlornswathoftheDeathwokClan Fri 28-Feb-14 18:32:21

Ha, YAsoNBU

I would have gone mental because that is my reaction to pain, she is lucky it wasn't me!

Honestly?! I think you should pat yourself on the back for staying so calm! I am never one to tell off someone else's child but had a child bitten me so hard to draw blood and a tetanus injection to be necessary I don't think I'd have been able to control the crazy in me (towards child and parent!)
Love the cocktail names grin

WilsonFrickett Fri 28-Feb-14 16:26:55

Fangs for the memories???

WilsonFrickett Fri 28-Feb-14 16:26:21

What kind of band is it? I'm sure we could help with a playlist...

Skin Deep? Cuts like a knife?

Peekingduck Fri 28-Feb-14 16:21:33
DidoTheDodo Fri 28-Feb-14 16:19:12

Cocktail names...

The Jaw Dropper
The Biting Pest
Never Darken my Door

N

Cravey Fri 28-Feb-14 16:13:39

I'm also thinking of serving jugs of a new cocktail tonight. I'm sure I can whip one up. I may well call it the muzzle. Might even send them a free jug !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now