To be a bit miffed with DS's school

(39 Posts)
adriennemole Thu 27-Feb-14 20:40:22

Not sure if I'm over reacting.
DS came out of school clutching an autograph from an author that had visited school today, so far fine but he then announces he needs £6 by tomorrow for the book he chose to buy ( by said author).

A bit confused I went in to speak to his teacher who said that a letter went out quite a while a go and that children could bring money in to buy a book.
I can't remember the letter and we certainly didn't receive a reminder. His teacher said that if they didn't have money that they could still order a book if they were sure their parents wouldn't mind hmm.

AIBU to be a bit annoyed that my 9 year old was allowed to make this decision and that there was no reminder?
Feel I've been put on a spot a bit, what about parents who wouldn't be able to afford the £6?
Of course this could be a kick up the ass for me to make sure I remember stuff going on at school grin

Nocomet Thu 27-Feb-14 21:44:19

I wouldn't have been happy £6 is a fair sum of money and DD2 was a horror for leaving letters in her draw.

JohnFarleysRuskin Thu 27-Feb-14 21:45:56

Exactly jingle bells!

charmschool Thu 27-Feb-14 21:46:52

It gets worse as they get older - when they don't give you letters about school trips, music exams... best to get into the habit now of making sure your son gives you all the info - regard this incident as the kick-start to a more communicative future.

adriennemole Thu 27-Feb-14 21:53:32

Charmschool- I also have a DD at secondary and as well as receiving parent mail from her school she is also completely the opposite to DS. No way would she let me forget! Will investigate more about the author tomorrow I think.

venturabay Thu 27-Feb-14 22:21:12

It sounds an absolute con. Just say no.

missingmumxox Thu 27-Feb-14 22:27:03

Yet another reason I love my boys school, they had a visiting author in year 3 she is a published author and has several children books published, all the Children got given a book free the same one but both sets of twins 1 got a different book and they where all signed with the child's name and a little message, I have no idea who paid but I got the impression it was the author who supplied them by the thank you from the school, it was a clever idea as the books where good and I have actually brought some of the other titles for friends children.

mymiraclebubba Thu 27-Feb-14 22:37:25

adriennemole chalk it up to experience! i have taken to making notes of importnant info in a notebook in my handbag, my diary, the calendar on my phone, the family calendar in the kitchen and the to do list on the fridge cos i have no hope otherwise! however, i don't think yabu to have expected a more recent reminder - even if it was just on a newsletter from school saying 'don't forget X is coming into school on Thursday and any child wanting a book will need to bring pennies in'

Yanbu op. I'm a head of English and I had a row with a publisher over this. She was cross we hadn't made enough sales at an author visit and wanted to offer ious. I refused as I felt it was unfair to parents. I love books and think author visits are great, but this kind of sales technique is outrageous.

wonderingteacher Thu 27-Feb-14 22:52:12

Op I'm with you - most children I know would say 'mum will let me' if their friends are getting one regardless of whether their parents can afford it etc.

wonderingteacher Thu 27-Feb-14 22:52:30

Op I'm with you - most children I know would say 'mum will let me' if their friends are getting one regardless of whether their parents can afford it etc.

adriennemole Thu 27-Feb-14 23:00:54

Wonderingteacher- YES that would be my DS! I think the maturity levels of 9yr olds vary quite a lot and I don't think I would trust DS to have taken that amount of money to school even if I had remembered but I would have no problem with DD doing so at that age.

Maybe a reminder is needed when it comes to children taking money in or an ordering system as mentioned below.

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Scholes34 Thu 27-Feb-14 23:22:51

It's only £6 but it's the principle of the matter.

Great way for the author to drum up sales, though. If the school takes a cut, no wonder they were happy for DS to take one on tick?

Mmmbacon Fri 28-Feb-14 00:16:01

Does your school have text a parent, all schools in this area have it, nearly all contact is via text, pt meetings, half days, non school uniform days, even reminders re mid term dates, brilliant service, much more efficient than post sent on the bottom of book bag, dd school texts to leave you know of your child didn't make out to school aswell so no chance of bunking off,

OpalQuartz Fri 28-Feb-14 07:42:37

£6 is steep for a paperback

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now