Camping with 14 month old...HELP!!!

(19 Posts)
McNickenChuggets Thu 27-Feb-14 14:45:51

Posted this here too as it gets a lot of views... no IANBU!!! smile

Ok, so I'm not new to camping, have done it many a time so I know what to expect getting pissed waking up in a field grin

However me and DP are taking our ds who will be 14 months old at Easter camping for the first time (in North Wales).

My problem is that even in the height of summer, those British nights can be feckin' freezing!!!

I am a softie so have a big double inflatable airbed for me and DP...but what on earth does my son sleep in/on? Obviously sleeping bags and quilts are a must but does anyone have any advice on keeping him warm enough at night without 1) overheating and 2)being able to wriggle free (presumably he will be walking unaided in a couple of months as he already walks with his baby walker). Has anyone any experience of a 'Ready Bed' for camping. I am mostly bothered about the cold.

The other thing....we will be staying on a campsite with all the facilities (shower block etc). DS has never had a shower in his life, always baths....what do I do in this situation? There is a heated pool....could always chuck him in there wink!

All/any advice welcome!

tomverlaine Thu 27-Feb-14 14:57:23

We used a ready bed on a camping mat (i forget they were called)- to insulate a bit more - then maybe extra blanket/duvet as well - I was more concerned re the floor being cold and I think we've ended up with blankets under neath as well.
That said we use a camping mat ourselves.
A lot of campsites have baths. Or you sit him on the floor of the shower and plug it- or use a washing up bowl and give him a wash

Blueuggboots Thu 27-Feb-14 14:59:54

Kampa make a junior bed that has a raised area so the LO doesn't fall out whilst asleep.
junior bed

Blueuggboots Thu 27-Feb-14 15:01:28

You can buy junior sleeping bags too. We bought my DS one and he slept all night and was cosy.
sleeping bag

littledrummergirl Thu 27-Feb-14 15:04:30

We have a big high tent. We took the travel cot, sleeping bag and warm sleepware and vests for the night.
We had electric hook up available so I put a fan heater into the sleeping compartment so that it was warm when they went to bed.

gruber Thu 27-Feb-14 15:09:04

Watching for tips as going in May when DS will be 15 months.. The Kampa bed looks brilliant! I'd assrd we'd have to take a travel cot and cram squeeze it in car somehow.

Tupperwife Thu 27-Feb-14 15:11:36

Hats! We also took thermals for sleeping in, and for some reason being allowed to keep socks on for sleeping is a real treat for both my DSs. We reckon that if we have lots of warm things under them then they will be OK. They usually end up sleeping with us, which keeps them warm as well.

We don't really bother washing them when we're camping for a few nights, obviously bums in nappies have to be clean but the rest of them is either hidden under clothes or rubbed with a flannel. Can you tell that I was a Brownie?

McNickenChuggets Thu 27-Feb-14 15:13:50

We must be mad gruber having our babies sleep out in the cold haha. Those kampa beds do look brill. These are the Ready-Beds I was referring to:

Ready bed

Wibblypiglikesbananas Thu 27-Feb-14 15:15:59

I did this with DC1 aged 22 months at 33 weeks PG. It was fun, but hard work! We took a travel cot and zipped her into a 2.5 tog sleep sack. She couldn't climb out of the travel cot (she was already in a bed at home) and we added blankets as appropriate, both underneath her for insulation and on top. She was fine. We also had the shower dilemma but she found it fun, especially as there was a shower block and lots of other children on the site she'd befriended were there around the same time. Have fun!

McNickenChuggets Thu 27-Feb-14 15:16:24

Oh and the other thing...we will be camping for about a week so I'm afraid he will be a bit pongy by the end of it if I dont find a way to at least wash him down. Wipes are good but I have a feeling that by the end of a couple of days camping I will be itching to put him in a bath!! OCD kicks in

gruber Thu 27-Feb-14 15:27:29

Just remembered that when we camped last summer (DS about 6 months) we bathed him in a plastic box. Took everything out of it, filled with warm water from kettle & hey presto a baby bath... Mind you it was warmer then!! Maybe worth taking, you could always take it to shower block & if he isn't keen on shower just fill box up & put on shower floor?

Another good idea we saw in the summer: big peg in the ground. Reins on toddler. Dog lead (the extending kind that you can make a certain length) set long enough for toddler to walk/explore but short so he can't crawl off... We thought it was brilliant, may not be to your taste!!

(Yes, we must be mad, voluntarily taking out children camping!!)

gruber Thu 27-Feb-14 15:28:36

Sorry should explain dog lead is tether between child & peg in ground!

OryxCrake Thu 27-Feb-14 15:28:56

I did this when my youngest was 18mo and took a travel cot, which was brilliant as it doubled up as a playpen when necessary. It was well worth the extra space it took up in the car.

fourcorneredcircle Thu 27-Feb-14 15:29:21

I have definite memories of my parents bedding my youngest brother down in a small inflatable children's dingy (couldn't roll out and had an inflated bottom too) cocooned in blankets and a sleeping bag. Whilst I'm sure it's unsafe to put a small baby to sleep on effectively a rubber mat with no ventilation, it could work well for a toddler as a bed. Then, and this is the genius bit, come shower day they took said dingy to the pot wash area on warm days to bathe him and on cooler days into the shower block and filled using the shower heads/buckets.

fourcorneredcircle Thu 27-Feb-14 15:30:32

Having looked at the Kampa link someone was clearly camping next to us with an eagle eye... Dad should have parented it...

McNickenChuggets Thu 27-Feb-14 15:31:59

Haha great minds gruber, I actually thought of 'pegging' ds to somewhere so he can't toddle off. Is your ds walking yet. I've a feeling my lad isn't far off and that DOES worry me! Yup, the reins will defo be coming along on our trip. And I can always sit him in the buggy when we're cooking, making hot drinks etc.

A box for the shower block is beginning to sound like a good idea, we will probably be hitting the beach and we all know how sand gets everywhere and multiplies

Blueuggboots Thu 27-Feb-14 15:32:25

We stayed in caravan and camping club sites and most have a lockable family bathroom with a bath and lots have a baby bath too. Usually disabled friendly too!! smile

Rowgtfc72 Thu 27-Feb-14 16:23:38

Camped with dd at this age and we used a travel cot with blanket over the top as tents let in the light very well to wake a sleeping toddler.
Laundry room had a baby bath but we used to play in the family shower convincing her it was rain!

littledrummergirl Thu 27-Feb-14 16:26:36

Swimming at the end of the day if there is a pool or middle if the week in neares pool if not. Otherwise I used to take mine in the shower with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now