imagine my surprise and delight on finding

(34 Posts)
Finnbheara Thu 27-Feb-14 09:09:31

A £2 coin in the washing mashine, two mins after switching it on. It most certainly is not my £2.

Have I bee unreasonable to pop it into the 'puppy fund' jar and say no more about it? Want is correct procedure with money found in washing?

Snatchoo Thu 27-Feb-14 20:27:39

I used to give it back.

DH and I have now taken the hardline approach that anything not put away safely that we find, we can keep or do what we like with.

This is off the back of DSS saying he had put away the money and vouchers he got for Xmas (about £120) which we then found under the sofa. angry he's 13 so old enough to give a shit - he just doesn't.

Finnbheara Thu 27-Feb-14 20:21:45

Jewels, how is it going? We are a long way from a puppy yet, only started saving in January, need to find quite a few more �2 coins smile

BillyNotQuiteNoMates Thu 27-Feb-14 19:58:24

As long as you are not working in a launderette or doing someone else's washing then it's fair game. If it is in your own house, then absolutely washing rights!

Jewels234 Thu 27-Feb-14 19:41:12

I have a Puppy Fund too!

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 27-Feb-14 18:55:13

The machine once broke because dh left money in his pocket. From that time on I have always gone through his pockets and kept everything I found in there.
Sometimes I do this even when the clothes aren't going in the wash. Any money left around is fair game.

WooWooOwl Thu 27-Feb-14 18:01:28

In our house the procedure is that money found goes into the holiday change jar, which gets emptied and changed up into foreign money relevant to wherever we are going on holiday that year to be spent on ice cream and treats.

Melonbreath Thu 27-Feb-14 17:52:16

I call that my washing tip.

cathpip Thu 27-Feb-14 17:41:03

The rule for the children I nanny for is that if you leave money lying around, you obviously don't need it so it goes in the kitty wallet for day trips out. This backfired on my male boss when he left £15 on the coffee table, watching his 4 year old daughter tell him off about leaving money lying around was mightily funny. In fairness he stuck to the rule and the money went in the kitty wallet smile

ineedabodytransplant Thu 27-Feb-14 17:31:56

I thought money-laundering was illegal grin

Sukebind Thu 27-Feb-14 13:09:28

Something got knocked under the oven the other day and I had to root around under there and among the bits of dog biscuit, furry felt pens and bits of plastic toy I also found a £2 coin! Hurray. It was unexcitingly but usefully used to pay for the car parking at the park and ride on our day out to Oxford in half-term. I like to think we all benefited from the serendipitous find.

Marylou62 Thu 27-Feb-14 12:32:58

Hovis moment I know but as a young teen my job was doing washing on sat and ironing on sun. Got paid!!! My mum said if my 4 brothers or Dad left ANYTHING in their pockets I got to keep it. Didn't make a fortune but enough for the cinema once!

Finnbheara Thu 27-Feb-14 11:39:34

Redcar ha! There is only one person in this house who can pay to get anything fixed and he is the least likely to leave small change in his pockets.
The puppy fund will benefit all who want a puppy which is all. It would be a lot fuller if someone left tenners in their pockets, I can dream.

I did once find a fiver in a pair of jeans I bought in a charity shop, bargain grin

redcaryellowcar Thu 27-Feb-14 11:26:15

sorry the symbol should be a pound sign,and this is meant to be lighthearted!!

redcaryellowcar Thu 27-Feb-14 11:16:32

we had a �2 coin stuck in the drainage tube cost �50 to get repaired, i would establish who it belongs to then fine them!!

Nocomet Thu 27-Feb-14 11:15:03

All random small change goes in the car parking jar.

This money is indeed used for car parking, but also non uniform days, trips to village shop, top up dinner money.

The DDs agree that if it was theirs they often benefit from the jar so they aren't going to argue. (DH and I have always pooled everything)

CaffeinatedKitten Thu 27-Feb-14 11:11:24
CaffeinatedKitten Thu 27-Feb-14 11:09:06

Random coins end up in the cow tin. When the tin is full it gets cashed in and split three ways. The spawns usually spend their share on magazines and sweets, mine goes toward my latte habitgrin

kelper Thu 27-Feb-14 09:36:42

Except I had to let him have it back :-/ but any random tenners find their way into the housekeeping ;)

Fakebook Thu 27-Feb-14 09:36:39

Yanbu, keep it! I found a barbie pendant in my wash yesterday, not very exciting.

I did find my ring in the drier metal filter thing at the bottom whilst I was washing it out a few months ago. DH had bought it for me as a present and I thought I'd lost it. I can only think DS got hold of it and bunged it in there or something.

Finnbheara Thu 27-Feb-14 09:32:06

Kelper that really is a perk!

GinSoakedMisery Thu 27-Feb-14 09:31:25

Rule in this house:

Money found on mutual territory belongs to the finder.

Put it in the puppy fund.

firstchoice Thu 27-Feb-14 09:29:18

a grand :O
can I come and do your washing, please??? grin

kelper Thu 27-Feb-14 09:25:38

My dh sometimes has quite a lot of notes in his pockets, and occasionally I forget to check. One memorable wash yielded about a grand, and dh accused me of money laundering!

Finnbheara Thu 27-Feb-14 09:23:41

There are three likely candidates and one other unlikely one for who the money actually belongs to. Belonged to that is.

And it has made my day too stinkle

GeeinItLaldy Thu 27-Feb-14 09:21:49

Yes, laundry doers privilege in this house too. And anything I find whilst tidying is mine too. Found a £1 coin and a €1 coin this morning. The £1 will go towards the latte I'm going to treat myself to on the way into work smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now