To feel weird about mat replacement being given a job?

(53 Posts)
BraveLilBear Thu 27-Feb-14 08:33:39

I'm back to work in a couple of weeks after 8 months on maternity leave.

It seems I'm returning to a department in disarray - we have no line manager after the last, incompetent one, was sent on her way; and the wider department is full of temps and apparently warring factions.

My team was made up of me, same level equivalent in different role (pt) and the manager.

Currently there is my replacement, same level equivalent is doing an extra day and is defacto boss, and there's a ft temp.

I found out yesterday through a colleague from the wider office that my mat replacement has been given a job on a much longer term basis (and possibly permanent).

I feel pretty weird about this. She has some strengths but is not as experienced as me and there are fundamental elements of the job where she is reportedly quite weak.

Yet she has had a job created for her, and as things stand, we'll be at the same level - and I will be at a disadvantage as she's been there for the last 8 months.

No job was advertised, and no one has had the common courtesy to keep me informed. Is this even legal? My ego feels edged out and frankly a bit miffed. I appreciate some of this is general angst about returning to such chaos (I anticipate same-level person and I will be locked in a battle for power for quite some time) - but feel unsettled by this development.

AIBU?

BraveLilBear Fri 28-Feb-14 12:45:30

This was a bit of a dream job when I got it but it all descended into chaos a couple of months after I started when a senior consultant came in and upset a lot of the managers. We've been under or inadequately staffed since.

The reason I questioned the legality is that we have been repeatedly told we cannot create new posts due to structural issues and a budget overspend (above our heads) that has been continuing for some years. It was also my understanding that, under employment law, any new positions must be advertised. As this is an extra post, surely this counts. But I may be wrong.

I will see how the land lies when I return and hope I've not been entirely sidelined. If it's unworkable and the manager's job still hasn't been advertised, I'll be reluctantly forced to look elsewhere.

Bearbehind Fri 28-Feb-14 13:02:21

There is no law that says jobs must be advertised, internal policy might dictate that advertising is required though.

What difference does it make if they had advertised the job though, it's the same as your current job so you wouldn't have applied for it anyway?

What I don't understand, and what is making you come across badly here, is that you have been moaning about the department being under resourced yet now they have taken on someone else you are still moaning.

This person has been in the role for 8 months and has clearly done a good job otherwise she wouldn't have been retained.

It sounds very much like you expected them to discuss everything with you beforehand and that just isn't how things work, even if you'd not been on maternity leave, senior personnel can make decisions that their teams might not like.

You really do need to get a grip and go back with an open mind, not some preconceived ideas based on gossip and your vision of how you wanted things to be when you returned.

EllieQ Fri 28-Feb-14 14:30:15

OP, I work in the public sector and I'm sadly familiar with the kind of situation you describe - under-staffed, no manager, can't fill vacancies etc.

However, I noticed that you said your mat replacement was doing exactly the job she was asked to do, while you were doing your job and extra work (as so often happens), including covering for your manager. It could be that your replacement's refusal to do a huge amount of additional work has promoted management to realise that they need extra people (rare in the public sector but it does happen!).

With regard to vacancies having to be advertised, that's not always the case - following a recent restructure we've had posts that were only advertised internally. This may have happened in this case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now