To think that the NHS should know that people with epilesy can drown in the bath

(34 Posts)
everydayisabluesday Wed 26-Feb-14 11:23:29

Connor Sparrowhawk was just 18 when he drowned in the bath in a Southern Heath NHS Unit. They knew he had epilepsy, and they failed to monitor him.

The Report has unsurprising found his death was preventable. This simply should not have happened.

HadABadDay2014 Wed 26-Feb-14 21:14:52

www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/alarms-and-safety-aids

Pixel Wed 26-Feb-14 21:29:58

My sister was epileptic and Dad took the lock off the bathroom door just to make sure. She would have her bath alone (teenagers don't want people watching them) but our bathroom was downstairs in a tiny house and we could call regularly from the kitchen or living room to check she was ok. If we hadn't got an answer at least we could have gone straight into the bathroom without worrying about breaking down doors.

Funnily enough there is no lock on the bathroom door of the house we are currently renting (which is a blessing really as ds would lock himself in) and it was ages before I even noticed, whereas other people think it is unusual.

VelvetDuvet Wed 26-Feb-14 21:31:07

I once had a seizure in the bath when I was about 15. My mum had come by to knock & check but got no reply. The thing that bothered me most about it as a 15 year old was the fact her boyfriend got me out and I hated him. blush.

MrsDeVere Wed 26-Feb-14 22:02:49

Sparkles you have just reminded me!
We obviously spent a lot of time in hospital when DD had cancer. she started having siezures about a month into her treatment.
So the next time we were admitted I asked for some bed sides
After a bit of faffing about this nurse came back with one.
She asked what side I wanted it on and looked surprised when I said BOTH hmm

Spartak of course you are not all uncaring bastards! I have a great deal of regard for nurses and doctors. Unfortunately it is your less than with it/rude/uncaring colleagues who tend to stick in the mind.
10 years on I can still remember the ones who were horrible to me or DD. Every inch of them.

emptychair Wed 26-Feb-14 22:09:35

That's so, so sad. My friend's mum had epilepsy and drowned in her bath when my friend was 15. Such a tragedy and common sense that this poor boy should have been cared for/monitored better.

Dogsmom Wed 26-Feb-14 22:34:29

I lost a friend of mine in the same way when he was in his early 20's, a known epileptic who had a fit and drowned in the bath whilst in hospital.
Awful tragedy.

Latara Wed 26-Feb-14 22:43:03

Hmm, I have epilepsy and I go in the bath, don't really think about it tbh. My epilepsy is fairly (not 100%) well controlled.

My sister doesn't like me going swimming alone when I'm on holiday with her but I don't like being restricted really; I can understand her worrying because the flickering sunlight causes fits.

Latara Wed 26-Feb-14 22:53:32

I'm actually a nurse too so obviously I know to be careful with patients who have epilepsy, if it's not well controlled they have cotsides and an observation bed, also we have showers in our ward not baths anyway. Also I make sure they get meds strictly on time, not something I always bother with for myself but I know I should.

To be fair I'm a lot more careful with my patients than I ever am with myself. When you have epilepsy you can get blasé about it like with many conditions and I probably am a bit too laid back. But with patients I treat them like I would want my family treated.

sparklesandbling Thu 27-Feb-14 10:45:34

Stanley yes DD got blue badge as she gets HR mobility on DLA due to her epilepsy and other associated issues.

Does your DD get HR mobility in their DLA? If not then some councils will give blue badge if epilepsy causes issues with walking which it would as unless seizures controlled u never know when one is going to happen.

The epilepsy nurse just doesn't have a clue and when DD got the badge I felt like sending a little thank you for her kind help (NOT!)

Sorry to hear that Hemlock, sad tragic loss of a life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now