To think its weird to refer to your partners parents as in-laws?

(77 Posts)
montgomerymadison Wed 26-Feb-14 00:42:09

My colleague has been with a guy for one year. They are not engaged, nor do they live together yet she refers to his parents as the in-laws. His parents also live a few hours away so it's not as if she sees them frequently.

I'd understand in more long term relationships where you've lived together and had children and for whatever reason not been married to call partners parents in laws then.

Aibu to think the first however is rather odd?

happygirl87 Sat 01-Mar-14 12:01:13

I do it. Been with DP for 7 years, lived together for 4, and getting married in Dec.Although as said up thread, I often say outlaws! He has 2 older sibling and they are both married, so we are very much seen as the three kids + three children in law when we visit- not three kids, two in law and "happy-who-is-youngest-DS's-fiancée"!

I also call his daughter DSD on here which is a massive faux pas apparently.....

I felt really honoured when my DP's Dad referred to me as his DD-In-Law, he was a lovely man and it was whilst I was helping care for him in the last stages of Cancer.

I didn't live with my DP, we are in our 40's and settled in our respective, close by, homes.

We were partners, though, in every sense of the word.

The relationship that I had with his Dad, is very significant to me and one that I feel very grateful for having.

The man I called my Grandad, lived with my Nan, all if my life, that again, is a treasured relationship.

An individual has the right to define and name what the nature of the relationship is, nothing to do with anyone else, or for anyone else to question, if they don't have a vested interest and then you have to go with their wishes, anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now