Play date behaviour

(59 Posts)
Lastminutelizzie Tue 25-Feb-14 19:39:30

My DD had a school friend to play this evening who has deliberately used a stamper (the ink pad type) on her pale pink duvet cover. They were playing in her bedroom, where her stamping set is stored in a box - to be brought downstairs and used on the kitchen table - my DD knows this and is usually very good. I only discovered the new pattern on her duvet cover after friend had been collected. Do I now say something to the mum, a good friend, or leave it ? I haven't yet tried to wash the duvet cover and am hoping it will wash out or at least fade, or it's spoilt. I'm cross at the situation, they are both 8 and ought to know better. I feel it's probably best left, but I would want to know if my DD had done it in another home.

ll31 Tue 25-Feb-14 19:40:46

How do u know it was her friend?

Only1scoop Tue 25-Feb-14 19:42:17

How do you know it was her friend that stampedconfused
I'd probably just get the vanish out and not say anything if it were me. Are they normally good when they play?

Cigarettesandsmirnoff Tue 25-Feb-14 19:42:21

Oh yes get the mum to pay for a new duvet!! grin

Leave it for Christ sake!

CoffeeTea103 Tue 25-Feb-14 19:43:00

Are you absolutely sure it was the friend?im not really sure what you expect the mother to do anyway without seeming petty. If it was stored away the friend would only have played with it if your dd brought it out.

harriet247 Tue 25-Feb-14 19:43:02

I think the responsibility is on your dd here sorry

onepieceoflollipop Tue 25-Feb-14 19:43:42

I think you have to leave it tbh...on the basis that at 8 they are not really trustworthy and perhaps some dcs are less well behaved than yours.

(i speak from bitter experience, whend dd2 was six her friend, ds of my close friend, broke the bed, well 2 slats of it, by jumping on it)

if you do tell the other parent I kind of think what will it achieve (unless you demand money to replace the item?) She will either be embarrassed, angry or blame your dd as well as hers I would imagine.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 25-Feb-14 19:44:33

Btw in the situation I mentioned I never said a word.

bodybooboo Tue 25-Feb-14 19:44:44

I wouldn't say anything at all. it will cause a row. it might have been your dd and her friend together. kids get carried away and accidents happen.

please stop saying play date unless you are from the US.

Ifcatshadthumbs Tue 25-Feb-14 19:45:06

I wouldn't say anything more than "ooh I gave dd a right telling off when I found out they had been merrily stamping ink on her duvet cover"

Waltonswatcher1 Tue 25-Feb-14 19:45:24

Would you really risk upsetting a friendship over this?

Backtobedlam Tue 25-Feb-14 19:45:32

They sometimes get carried away when they are with friends and do silly things. I'd probably say something to both the girls, that it's not acceptable and you are very cross, but probably wouldn't speak to the other mother about it.

formerbabe Tue 25-Feb-14 19:46:06

Even if it was her dd... what's more important to you...her friendship of the cost of the duvet cover?! If it's the latter, then tell her what happened and ask her to replace it!

YoureBeingASillyBilly Tue 25-Feb-14 19:46:45

1) you really should keep that sort of thing out of reach of children when not in use.

2) you do realise duvet covers work exactly the same way with ink on them. Right?

BoiledPiss Tue 25-Feb-14 19:49:06

It wouldn't even enter my head to do anything other than bung it in the wash with vanish if necessary!

Ifcatshadthumbs Tue 25-Feb-14 19:49:38

I disagree that these things should be kept out of reach. They're 8 fgs!

YoureBeingASillyBilly Tue 25-Feb-14 19:51:58

grin

And clearly not to be trusted as today's incident proves!

phantomnamechanger Tue 25-Feb-14 19:55:52

8yo should know better, but as you do not actually know which of them did it and whether your Dd turned a blind eye/dared her friend or was dared etc etc, you can't really say anything to the parent. Have strong words with your DD though, so she knows a) that's not acceptable and b) if she is unhappy with anyones behaviour at all ever, she is to tell you and not be worried or embarrassed by doing so

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Tue 25-Feb-14 19:57:16

wow I am staggered!

Do you have OCD?

I really can't understand how a whole duvet can be ruined with a stamp.

Nealry every night my DD gets a pen mark on her duvet.

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Tue 25-Feb-14 19:58:30

My friends and I used to jump on beds all the time!

formerbabe Tue 25-Feb-14 19:58:58

I was thinking the same thing! An ink mark on my dcs duvet would not even register with me and I consider myself quite houseproud! Is your home like a show home op?

TheGreatHunt Tue 25-Feb-14 19:59:28

It might have been your dd. Kids get carried away when left to their own devices ....

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Tue 25-Feb-14 20:03:13

Just to put this into perspective, we had neighbours DC over once.

They proceeded to throw, and hurl every item out of her play house, then grabbed things and held them aloft so she couldn't reach them. and teased her....Then they went to her bedroom and literally trashed it. They pulled all her books out, took all her clothes out of the wardrobe and all her toys out of the toys boxed and some got broken as they were standing on them.

Needless to say they were never invited back!

wonderpants Tue 25-Feb-14 20:03:29

My DD and her mate got sharpie pen over a futon chair cover, white laminate floor and white wooden blinds in my spare room (sob). To be honest, I blamed myself for not being aware they had taken the pens upstairs. It was an accident. What happens with kids. I would not dream of mentioning it unless I thought it was deliberate.

Viviennemary Tue 25-Feb-14 20:08:55

Nothing you can do about it now. I wouldn't be very inclined to have the child back any time soon. Ask your DD about it and see what she has to say. At eight they know very well that this is not acceptable behaviour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now