Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

to think this is NOT an unhealthy lunch

(416 Posts)
ohhifruit Mon 24-Feb-14 17:01:15

DStS's teacher (he is in Junior school) pulled me aside after school to say his lunch was deemed 'an unhealthy lunch' and their first step was to give me a 'verbal warning' before writing to me. She even said 'I'm sure you can understand why we think this.'

This is what he had -
- Small pot of home made hummus
- Large wholemeal pitta cut into strips
- A hardboiled egg
- A handful of celery sticks
- A handful of carrot sticks
- A small pot of raisins
- Matchbox sized lump of chedder (which he saved to eat on the way home)
- Satusuma
- Small yoghurt

We've given him sandwiches and he never touches them but dippy types of food are always eaten and he reports how much he enjoys them. He isn't messy, almost to a fault, so I can't see them being bothered about a 'bits and bobs' lunch making a mess.

Is this unhealthy? I am racking my mind to figure out how on earth this is unhealthy? She wouldn't specify, I expect because it wasn't her who saw his lunch but rather it was reported back via lunch time staff.
I feel really annoyed to be told off by the teacher, she was pretty sneery and it wasn't until I got home I realised I should have asked to speak to the head.

JingleMyBells Fri 28-Feb-14 12:57:10

I wish my son would eat as healthily as that.

CorusKate Fri 28-Feb-14 12:59:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CorusKate Fri 28-Feb-14 13:01:40

SchrodingersCake Fri 28-Feb-14 13:06:50

And? We're talking about the school staff quibbling about the lunch. This defo doesn't have too much sugar. It possibly has too little fat for his age yes, even with the olive oil and blah blah. I don't really care, but if you have an over analytical member of staff... I'm trying to think of reasons why this lunch might be labelled as "bad". I really do think this is mistaken identity.

CorusKate Fri 28-Feb-14 13:10:26

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 28-Feb-14 13:28:04

I read something elsewhere about a woman complaining that a unopened unheated can of soup was picked up as unacceptable,and she couldn't understand why.

I've been laughing about that for hours

SchrodingersCake Fri 28-Feb-14 13:29:04

WTF?

I scanned a bit about faggots.

Nobody said anything about faggots. The OP presented a decent lunch.

Did you give your child faggots, OP? How very dare you. Were they homemade or Mister Brains?

CorusKate Fri 28-Feb-14 13:30:09

ilovepowerhoop Fri 28-Feb-14 13:34:09

The OP clarified that it was a case of mistaken identity and that some child (not the OP's) had left over faggots in their lunch

ohhifruit Tue 25-Feb-14 14:25:59

A case of mistaken identity was correct.
I took him to the door and asked for a word about the lunch, I showed her his box (it was a similar type of food) and she agreed she couldn't point to a single problem and didn't like the policy of anyone checking.
I asked her to clarify why there was an issue yesterday and she mentioned a food item I've never eaten nor served to my children being present in the box yesterday which was problematic.
As soon as I said this and after having seen what was in his lunch for today she agreed it was likely it was a case of crossed wires with the lunch time staff.

ohhifruit Tue 25-Feb-14 18:49:54

It was left over faggots which I must admit made me laugh.
I've never had faggots, I grew up in Australia and they weren't on my radar.

SchrodingersCake Fri 28-Feb-14 13:37:59

Well, that's me told. I like to think I'm on the ball but obvs I missed this. Sincere apologies.

SchrodingersCake Fri 28-Feb-14 13:38:50

P.s. I'd bloody love it if someone presented me with faggots for lunch.

CorusKate Fri 28-Feb-14 13:40:11

ilovepowerhoop Fri 28-Feb-14 13:40:59

I have never ever had faggots. I like haggis though

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 28-Feb-14 13:47:51

hope she at least gave the kid a tin opener and a spoon. I'm picturing a small, glum child staring at her inaccessible lunch

Nope! And no idea as to why its not ok!

LtEveDallas Fri 28-Feb-14 14:47:42

Guess what I am going to make this weekend now?

Mmmm faggoty goodness...

KateMoose Fri 28-Feb-14 18:35:11

Well, someone has to like Shipton's grin otherwise it wouldn't be on the shelf. I wonder if the lunchbox patrol mind it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now