To expect my induction on Friday to be horrific

(159 Posts)
MrsSeanBean1 Mon 24-Feb-14 05:19:31

I was 7 days overdue with my 2nd baby on Sunday. My 1st baby was 12 days overdue, went into labour naturally, back to back, ventouse, traumatic delivery etc. etc. I went to the hospital today for a sweep but it could not be done as my cervix was posterior. I have polyhydramnias (too much fluid) with this pregnancy so baby has only just dropped head down into my pelvis after being breech throughout.

I have been talking into getting booked in for an induction on Friday at 12 days only. I am petrified as I have never known anyone who has had a good induction - all have tales of days in hospital, excruciating pain and often a c section anyway.

I am starting to think I should just kick up a fuss and try to just go straight for a c section even though it's not something I would want.

I had an epidural with my 1st baby and cannot image going though all the interventions I did without one so am really scared of having to have painful procedures without adequate pain relief. I even find vaginal exams excruciating when in labour.

Any advice? I cannot sleep due to this worry. I just want it all to be over now.

buttercrumble Mon 24-Feb-14 07:16:42

My induction was fine , baby arrived 10 hours later. I don't think giving birth is a pleasant experience anyway, but the results are amazing. Good luck I'm sure you will be fine thanks

Splatt34 Mon 24-Feb-14 07:16:48

It is a LONG time till Friday. My DD1 similar to you. DD2 unsuccessful sweep at +5, further sweeps at +7 & +10. Booked for induction on the Thursday at +12, I was dreading it. With no warning I went into labour at 22:30 Wednesday night and she was here 2.5 hours later.

Get on your bounce ball, order a curry and some pineapple, go for a walk and any other methods. You may not need the induction.

ballstoit Mon 24-Feb-14 07:24:13

I was induced on due date with dc2 (reduced movements). It took a while to get started, but that was okay, I spent a morning in bed reading a book!

Once things got going, she arrived within 4 hours. I had an epidural and forceps, but I had both with dc1 too and laboured for 24 first with him. I felt very well looked after, got the pain relief I asked for as soon as I asked for it.

Also, in terms of planning things, I was able to drop dc1 off to parents the night before and get him settled, and my DSis sorted childcare for her DC so she could come too.

Try to spend some time on all fours over the next few days, mW told me that was the best way to get baby to get into the right position.

Retrofairy Mon 24-Feb-14 07:27:09

I read the NICE guidelines before my induction and it does seem statistically that you are more likely to have intervention, so you are quite reasonable to be concerned.

littlewhitebag Mon 24-Feb-14 07:29:11

I have had three induced births. The first two labours were brought on by a pessary and in fact birth no 2 was wonderful. Walked about until point of pushing, some gas and air and out she popped. Birth 1 was okay too but i wasn't really sure what to expect and the pethidine knocked me for six.

Birth three was different as the pessaries didn't work so i was put on a drip on day 4. It was a very fast, intense birth but again managed with gas and air only.

Please don't worry. Every birth experience is different and this one could be great for you. Try not to get too tense and anxious as the more relaxed you are the better.

Good luck.

lastnightopenedmyeyes Mon 24-Feb-14 07:29:56

OP I reckon you'll go into labour yourself before Friday smile Try not to worry.

I had dc2's induction booked for day 10 but she came on day 8 after a good sweep on day 7. Was induced (straight to drip) with my 1st. If they put you on the drip insist on an epidural and you'll be absolutely fine. I did it on just gas and air but wish I hadn't grin

Normanpriceisnotarolemodel Mon 24-Feb-14 07:41:12

My first baby was born after induction. Nightmare birth, really not good, I won't go into details.
Second baby also 2 weeks late. I was dreading the induction. It was absolutely fine though, I didn't even need an epidural despite baby being back to back. Once things started (which took a while) everything happened really quickly, and baby turned just before coming out, which was the most painful bit.
You'll be fine!

GummiBear74 Mon 24-Feb-14 07:48:03

I was induced on my due date, my waters having gone 48 hours earlier. Examination at 8pm when they gave me the gel showed a very unfavourable cervix. I spent a couple of hours bouncing on my ball and playing cards with DH, then sent him home to get some sleep while I tried to do the same (he could've stayed, but nothing was happening, so it made more sense for him to get some sleep in a proper bed).

I started feeling period-type pains at about 12.30am and got so uncomfortable that they gave me codeine and paracetamol. After what seemed like hours of monitoring (they thought the baby's heart rate was too regular, or something!), they checked again prior to insertion of gel number 2. To my surprise, they told me that I was already 4cm dilated and the second gel wasn't necessary. I called DH back and DD was born just before 6.30am, in a birthing pool, with only gas and air for pain relief.

From reading the previous posts, it seems as though quite a few others have had a similar experience - induction doesn't necessarily mean that you end up on the drip. Fingers crossed that it's the same for you, OP, and I hope these stories are reassuring for you.

LBOCS Mon 24-Feb-14 07:52:30

Another positive story here - I was induced at 38+4 as I had preeclampsia. I had the gel at 12pm, my waters went as I rolled over at 10pm, which put me into established labour, and I had DD at 10.30 the next morning. I had an epidural for pain relief but no drip, no interventions.

glorious Mon 24-Feb-14 07:56:01

I felt like this on the Monday before my Friday induction appointment. I went into labour on the Tuesday, DD born on Thursday smile (long though!)

TamerB Mon 24-Feb-14 08:01:45

Basically it is like normal births - some are easy and some are difficult.
Very often people start before the induction date- I did with my third.

bobblewobble Mon 24-Feb-14 08:03:47

My first was a traumatic birth. Went into a labour after a sweep 4 days before due date.

My second I was induced due to high blood pressure, 3 days before due date. Was given what I think was pessary that they said would take 24 hours at around 6:30pm. (was a complete unfavourable induction) I was in pain at 4am, convinced them to check, as they said there was no point. I was 5-6cms with waters bulging. They said when waters went I would go back down to 2-3cms but they would take me to labour ward anyway. Off I went to labour ward in a wheelchair at 4.20. Went to the toilet waters broke, they dragged me to a bed and she was born about 4.40.

So in my experience induction was fine. I had undiagnosed Eclampsia so was very unwell. However from the pessary? that would apparently take 24 hours to work before they could give me the next stage of induction to her being born was just over 10 hours.

Not all inductions take forever, even those before due date.

Tailtwister Mon 24-Feb-14 08:04:37

I was induced with DS1 as I had obstetric choleostasis. The pessaries did nothing, the syntocin drip did nothing initially and had to be turned up to flu whack (so high the midwife had to get written permission from the consultant). I don't remember too much about it after that, but I did eventually get an epidural after which is was very manageable.

It was a good birth as far as I'm concerned. DS1 was a forceps delivery (lift out, so not too bad) in the end and he was safe and healthy.

From what I can see there are huge variations in induction deliveries, just like in unassisted ones and some people get going with just a pessary where others need more. If managed properly (like I believe mine was) it's possible to still have a good labour.

Be aware of the possibilities and your options for pain relief should you need it. Lots of people have had great experiences with inductions. Hope all goes well OP and try not to worry.

lljkk Mon 24-Feb-14 08:10:31

I've heard loads of good induction stories (honest!, quick & straightforward, and I haven't read the thread, either). Try to be hopeful, OP. I suppose if you go in with low expectations then things can only get better.

MrsSeanBean1 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:10:37

Wow! Just logged on to find so many positive replies. Thank you so much, I literally have tears rolling down my cheeks with relief that sometimes induction isn't so bad.

They are phoning me with a time to go in today so I will clarify a few things with them to try and make myself feel better.
- availability of epidural before drip
- if husband can sty for the duration once they have started me off
- if I can have a side room rather than be on a ward when I am induced

Will let you know what they say as I think these things would make me feel a bit better.

cory Mon 24-Feb-14 08:19:31

I was induced 3 weeks early with my first, didn't need any pain relief apart from gas and TENS and certainly wouldn't say I was traumatised.

With my second I was induced at 36 weeks and did admittedly end up having an EMC, but that was because his heartbeat went down (IUGR baby); I would have been happy to have laboured on. Still wasn't a traumatic experience at all. And I'm not particularly brave.

stillfrazzled Mon 24-Feb-14 08:22:03

Honestly don't worry - but don't let anyone talk you out of pain relief if it's what you want.

Fwiw my second birth was a c section and also fine - by the next day I was up and walking with the odd twinge, and by day 3 I'd ditched the painkillers.

You'll be fine and so will your baby - especially if you don't beat yourself up about not going into labour. Whatever gets the baby here safe is the right thing IMO.

Hoppinggreen Mon 24-Feb-14 08:45:30

My experience was positive, much more so than my first non induced birth.
It did take a while though to get started and I couldn't get much sleep in the ward with people going into labour all night!! I took my own pillows and snacks and plenty to read. Eventually I refused any more exAminations unless I was moved to a side room as I was expected to be checked every hour or so while visitors wandered around and children kept pulling the curtain back etc? I was told I could but if labour didn't start soon I would have to move back to the ward ( would have refused). Once the baby started moving it all went fine, I was relaxed and felt very in control and got my epidural when it was time. I pushed twice and there he was!! Had a shower a couple of hours after that and was home 6 hours from delivery making lunch. Once labour actually started I think he was born on about 5 hours, it was getting him moving that took the time.
I was terrified of induction too having heard all the stories but mine was fine.
Best of luck xxx

JapaneseMargaret Mon 24-Feb-14 08:53:27

I've never gone into labour naturally - both DC were induced.

The first wasn't great, but it wasn't awful. Epidural which didn't fully take and a ventouse delivery. 6-7 hours all up.

No. 2 - well, let's just say it was lucky I was induced, as it was about an hour from first actual twinge to holding babe in arms, absolute zero time for any form of pain relief, at all!

Pretty much a few extremely strong contractions and a whoosh, log-ride situation. Yes, I tore, and so once DD was safely delivered, the lovely midwife gave me G&A while she stitched me up.

Induction isn't necessarily doom and gloom - just make sure they let you move around during contractions, rather then lying on your back in bed.

notthegirlnextdoor Mon 24-Feb-14 08:56:58

I also had a very traumatic first birth.

My second pregnancy was riddled with complications due to this.

I was induced with second baby early. Pessary at 11am. Not much happened just mild period pains. Was checked at 5pm and they broke my waters at 6pm and was told they were setting up an epidural for half 7 as I wasn't progressing and would need the drop. As it turned out my daughter was born 94 minutes after they broke my water, naturally with no intervention. Even the consultant was gobsmacked that I'd delivered naturally and that fast.

Hope this helps.

MrsSeanBean1 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:58:30

I am worried about not being able to move around in labour. For the last few weeks I have been absolutely crippled with SPD and at the moment I am only able to walk painfully, clutching 2 walls :-(

tobiasfunke Mon 24-Feb-14 09:05:05

I was induced with the drip due to my waters going and no real action after 3 days. Get yourself an epidural when you are having the drip then you won't be screaming for one if it is painful. Where we are they are happy to give an epidural if you are being induced that way. Pity I didn't know at the time.

BumPotato Mon 24-Feb-14 09:06:40

I had two inductions, both at 40+14

My labours were both under 3 hours, though full on. I had a few stitches for the first for a "graze" and no stitches for the second. I had gas and air and morphine plus an anti sickness drug for both.

I had quick recoveries both times.

I would have no qualms about being induced again.

girlwhowearsglasses Mon 24-Feb-14 09:35:38

Just to say - do you have to be induced? You aren't obliged to you know

I had twins, and in the face of a lot of people trying to schedule things on specific dates my mantra was to decide how I felt each day. Watchful waiting, even if it means going in for some monitoring or a scan, can allow you to relax a bit; so instead of deciding that you will go in on x day, you say, I'm ok today, If everything is ok I can wait until tomorrow... They are obliged to let you be induced on any day you want if they have advised induction already, you don't have to go by their dates.

I also think for anyone else out there it can be difficult if you have a specific date held in your head - once that date is gone you can start to feel very uncomfortable and want it all over with, even if there is no pressing need to induce. I learnt this from expecting twins; the value of pacing yourself psychologically is immense. I was being asked continuously when I was due - and from 34 weeks or so the answer could have been 'any time from now to in six weeks'. I tried to prepare myself for the longer time frame. Partly this was because I regret very much allowing myself to be induced with DS1 at 41 weeks when there was no actual reason. To this day I feel it has affected us both as its clear he did not want to come out, and held on in there until he was cut out. I think it's part of his obstinate tenacious personality.

Hotmad Mon 24-Feb-14 09:44:16

I had a good experience being induced with DD1 at 13 days overdue. My waters decided to leak slowly the night I went in so drs said straight for the drip in the morning, it was intense but I had pain reliefs and epidural and my active labour was 4 hours!!! I pushed her out too naturally with only a 2nd degree tear so I was happy with whole event. I prepared for worst and was surprised so maybe that's a good way but don't worry too much as the baby will come out one way or another!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now