To ask you to make me do this?

(23 Posts)
BigPawsBrown Thu 20-Feb-14 15:41:28

I sent my first novel to a few literary agents over the summer. Responses were all quite good in that they said I had a talent but were unanimous in not offering me representation because the plot was 'high concept' enough for a publishing debut.

Four of the agents have requested I send them my second book and one such agent chatted to me for an hour about ideas.

I started it in October and finished the first draft last week.

Now I have The Fear. I have to do so much 'heavy lifting' editing in the second draft, working on pacing etc and then a third 'line by line' edit. I said I would send it to her in May.

I would love for this thread to be somewhere where I can put my progress as since I finished it I have really slacked off and am very angry at myself sad

TheBrocoliIsStillRaw Thu 20-Feb-14 15:52:21

Do it now Big they obviously spotted a talent in you and you also know you will hugely regret it if you don't. Get that first scary step out the way today.

Coconutty Thu 20-Feb-14 15:57:16

DO IT NOW, seriously. You'll regret it if you don't and will feel amazing if you do.

aderynlas Thu 20-Feb-14 15:59:08

Go for it Bigpawsbrown, think how rewarding it will be to see your words in print. Let us know how you do.

ApprenticeViper Thu 20-Feb-14 16:02:34

DO IT DO IT DO IT! You've got further than most writers ever do, and they obviously saw a talent or you wouldn't even have got a response from one, let alone four.

Just bloody get on with it grin

LouiseSmith Thu 20-Feb-14 17:40:09

Go for it!!!! You will feel so happy when u do it.

I'm also so very jelous, I've been writing mine for the best part of 6months, and I'm still struggling.

Manchesterhistorygirl Thu 20-Feb-14 17:41:24

Do it! You know you want to, you can face the fear and get through.

MrsBungle Thu 20-Feb-14 17:43:43

Do it!!!!

Do it!!!!

Do it!!!!

You'll regret not doing it so do it!!! When I have the fear I just pretend I'm someone else who doesn't have the fear and do it!

ZingSweetApple Thu 20-Feb-14 17:50:27

<puts on cheerleader outfit and picks up pompoms>

gimme a "D"
givmme an "O"
gimme an "I"
gimme a "T"

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

whatsagoodusername Thu 20-Feb-14 20:23:42

Wow. DO IT!!!

I've worked at agencies and publishers. That's a phenomenal response to a first manuscript. Most barely see the light of day before they are chucked back in an envelope and returned. To get FOUR coming back to you and actually giving you time, it had to be good.

BigPawsBrown Thu 20-Feb-14 20:57:45

Ah all this support's so lovely!!

Have sorted out one plotting issue tonight, and deleted 3k words and added 1k better words grin

justtoomessy Thu 20-Feb-14 21:03:58

do it after you have explained to me what they meant by high concept??

Put your first book on kindle for free though and I'll read it wink

BigPawsBrown Thu 20-Feb-14 21:08:11

Sorry, I meant WASNT high concept enough I swear I do proof read my novels more than my posts

I write women's fiction. She told me that the only way debut fiction gets a deal at the moment is if it's high concept eg is One Day by David Nicholls. She told me that it must have a "hook" you could explain in one sentence and it has to draw the reader in. Women's fiction is increasingly gritty eg Apple Tree Yard and it is often much darker than the chicklit of 1990s

LadyMaryLikesCake Thu 20-Feb-14 21:10:25

NO!!

Don't send it yet. You should never send a first draft as it won't be your best work. Put it away and leave it for a month or two, then go back to it. If nothing needs tweaking then send it. A good agent will wait for it to be ready, they won't be happy to read something that's rushed (and it shows) and they won't always be prepared to give you a second chance.

Think of it like a good wine - it needs time to mature so put it in a dark place and forget about it for a while.

Don't turn it into an eBook without a proper edit. If you're going to go down this route then a lot of publishers won't give it a look in as they usually want first publishing rights, which have already been used if it's published on a kindle.

ZingSweetApple Thu 20-Feb-14 21:10:33

you know you need to put us all in your book as extras or such!grin

justtoomessy Thu 20-Feb-14 21:11:41

Oh I see. I don't always read because with a high concept though as my brain function when I do get round to reading is poor. I read the bit that tells you about the book but it is always more than one sentence.

What was your first book about? I'm intrigued.

BigPawsBrown Thu 20-Feb-14 21:17:23

Ladymary I'm not sending it yet?? I've only done first draft, two more to go! If it's not ready by the May deadline of course I won't send it ...

BigPawsBrown Thu 20-Feb-14 21:19:24

My first book was about a woman who met a man she fell in love with when she was already in a reasonably happy long term relationship. Was told the stakes weren't high enough, which I agree with.

This book is about a woman who doesn't want children but is told her ovaries have begun failing and if she wants a child she has to do it now. Her boyfriends wants to and she doesn't...

LadyMaryLikesCake Thu 20-Feb-14 21:19:45

It's often a 'one shot' thing and they will wait. I'm on draft 18 sad

BigPawsBrown Thu 20-Feb-14 21:23:28

I know. It'll go when it's good enough, but I think three drafts should do it - they all said my first one was well written and that only took two smile

LadyMaryLikesCake Thu 20-Feb-14 21:27:36

smile Congratulations and 'you can do it!' That's brilliant feedback thanks

BigPawsBrown Mon 17-Mar-14 23:50:18

Second draft done, third draft underway!!

Well done Big!! Keep working smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now