in thinking that my neighbour has some cheek giving us a curfew for our heating!

(92 Posts)
timesarehard Wed 19-Feb-14 23:33:11

Been a funny old week.

We live out in the sticks. There are three houses in our little hamlet. We're attached to next door. I caught our neighbour in the garden today to tell her that my stepfather died on Monday. She was very nice but then hit me with.... Apparently, our heating is too loud. It is driving her husband insane. He can't sleep and he's threatening to rip "the bloody thing out" if it carries on. She said he is really very angry about it and doesn't want him calling here all guns blazing so if we could just never put our heating on past 9pm or before 6pm, she would appreciate it!

I must add, our heating is oil fired and costs a bloody fortune so we're quite frugal with it. It's not on a timer, we just flick it on when cold. If it's a particularly cold night or we're up late, we might put it on for an hour at about ten. We NEVER leave it on over night and it's extremely rare it's ever on past eleven.

My husband went round after work to listen to it. He said you can just about hear a slight humming through the wall (but only when they had turned off everything in their house)

Do they have a point? I do get that noises can be irritating but I'm not sure what I can do. It's a two hundred year old cottage; it's got an old heating system.

What would you do?

Cobain Thu 20-Feb-14 13:05:36

My NDN asked DP to change his shifts as his car starting at 6 in the morning was not appropriate in a road of professionals people, he just laughed at her. Tbh she complains about everything and even if we could of resolved or found a solution she would find another reason to be annoyed.

popcornpaws Thu 20-Feb-14 13:14:05

You could also point out that the walls are thin and you can hear EVERYTHING they do, but thats just the way it is if you don't live in a detached house.

MissHobart Thu 20-Feb-14 13:47:43

Even we moved into our house the NDN's informed us that they could hear "everything" from the master bedroom so to keep our sex life quiet hmm We ignored them grin We never hear anything from their side so just assume they have no sex life!

Shonajoy Thu 20-Feb-14 14:54:51

Get environmental health out to do a noise reading, that'll shut him up and make sure he's there when its done.

Detached houses if you want total peace and quiet, it's your living space too. Cheek.

maggiemight Thu 20-Feb-14 15:01:15

What about some polystyrene sheets and an old duvet as insulation (yes, possibly a fire hazard but you could try it and see if it improves things before paying for something more expensive - and don't block any vents). Unless it's the vibration coming through the floor, maybe you can get it lifted slightly?

Speak to a heating engineer /plumber, perhaps there are issues with your make of boiler.

Could it possibly be the neighbours fridge as they can be noisy, is their fridge on the adjoing wall and he's blaming you?
Ask them to keep strict notes on when it is and isn't hearable, you keep notes too and see if they do match.

Could it be your fridge??

Financeprincess Thu 20-Feb-14 17:23:01

I had this once in a rented house, when I was in my early 20s. The neighbours complained that the heating system was too loud and asked that we didn't use it AT ALL!

As if! I suggested that she found out the identity of the landlord and discussed it with him.

BumPotato Thu 20-Feb-14 19:25:29

I'm sure you won't try anything that's a fire hazard OP!

southeastastra Thu 20-Feb-14 19:27:43

oh my neighbour has a humming boiler and it drives me crackers too! i know i can't do anything about it but it really can drive you potty.

is there something thats causing the hum, is the boiler next to something causing more hum that usual?

southeastastra Thu 20-Feb-14 19:30:28

my son's xbox hums to but if we move it slightly the humming stops!

don't underestimate how annoying they can be to others and at least try to see if you can find out why it's humming smile

VivaLeBeaver Thu 20-Feb-14 19:32:42

I'd put some brochures for isolated, detached houses through their letterbox.

chocolatemademefat Sun 23-Feb-14 13:24:18

Sympathise with him and tell him he's lucky he doesnt live in your house because its much louder from there.

anothernumberone Sun 23-Feb-14 13:29:46

Two things I would do

1) say thank you for your sympathy at this difficult time and the sensitivity you have shown

2) make a 'helpful' suggestion that they are better suited to detached living.

I would however fix the flue onto your own house.

M0naLisa Sun 23-Feb-14 16:14:28

I'd start hovering as soon as I wake just to piss him off. Miserable bastard!!

specialsubject Sun 23-Feb-14 16:34:14

old oil boilers are much noisier than new ones (had ours changed, huge difference), and if it is guzzling oil then it is well worth replacing - it will pay for itself in reduced consumption in about five years even if prices don't change. Which they will.

but not for the convenience of your neighbours. Especially not when they raise this problem at such an insensitive moment. And especially not when it clearly isn't that loud from their side.

unfortunately her unhinged husband is her problem. I wouldn't bother being tactful how you express that, given what she did to you.

minionmadness Sun 23-Feb-14 16:46:56

They would love us... we are in a similar setting only with 6 houses ( 3 sets of semi's).

We have oil fired central heating and it's on 24/7 (thermostat set at 19) from around October to whenever it drops below 19. The houses are 120 years old and if we don't have the heating on the house starts to feel damp.

If my neighbour made a similar request I would ask them if they were in fact taking the piss.

I mean who on earth would have the brass neck to tell someone they can't have their heating on FFS.

Jux Sun 23-Feb-14 16:59:48

When I read that he was 'elderly' I thought he's just like dh, except that dh is late 50s..... grin

DH will get himself wound up about something that isn't perfect and it will be a thorn in his side forever after. Once in a blue moon he has a point. Mostly, he's just being irascible and curmudgeonly and is best ignored.

timesarehard Sun 23-Feb-14 23:27:43

Dh has put some insulation pad things around the pump and we've booked a service. If something is broken, we'll fix it.

The more this week's gone on (and God has it gone on and on) the more annoyed I've got with them.

Anyway, we've done what we can for now. Thanks again for all your support. This thread has been a nice distraction from the awfulness that comes from losing someone you love and having to plan their funeral. I will update if and when we get to the bottom of this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now