in thinking that my neighbour has some cheek giving us a curfew for our heating!

(92 Posts)
timesarehard Wed 19-Feb-14 23:33:11

Been a funny old week.

We live out in the sticks. There are three houses in our little hamlet. We're attached to next door. I caught our neighbour in the garden today to tell her that my stepfather died on Monday. She was very nice but then hit me with.... Apparently, our heating is too loud. It is driving her husband insane. He can't sleep and he's threatening to rip "the bloody thing out" if it carries on. She said he is really very angry about it and doesn't want him calling here all guns blazing so if we could just never put our heating on past 9pm or before 6pm, she would appreciate it!

I must add, our heating is oil fired and costs a bloody fortune so we're quite frugal with it. It's not on a timer, we just flick it on when cold. If it's a particularly cold night or we're up late, we might put it on for an hour at about ten. We NEVER leave it on over night and it's extremely rare it's ever on past eleven.

My husband went round after work to listen to it. He said you can just about hear a slight humming through the wall (but only when they had turned off everything in their house)

Do they have a point? I do get that noises can be irritating but I'm not sure what I can do. It's a two hundred year old cottage; it's got an old heating system.

What would you do?

timesarehard Wed 19-Feb-14 23:54:25

Squoosh, I feel sorry for her too. She's lovely and we've always got on well.

The breakdown thing is interesting. He has form.

He's early forties btw. Oh, and he has a shotgun!

squoosh Wed 19-Feb-14 23:54:59

Bloody hell BumPotato, what was your response to such craziness?!

squoosh Wed 19-Feb-14 23:55:50

Early 40s? I was imagining a grumpy old guy in his 80s.

timesarehard Wed 19-Feb-14 23:58:16

Nope, but he is grumpy!

They are totally wrong even to mention it and you shouldn't give it another thought. The reality is that we all make some noise and unless someone can afford a house miles from anyone else they have to get used to it.

Don't let it make you feel guilty. And remember that they threatened you so you've a perfect right to be furious with them.

There are much worse things than the hum of a heating system and they are lucky that is all they have to complain about.

They should try living here. My kitchen faces a railway line and the place shakes when a train passes. My neighbours have parties which sometime go on until 4am. If they were not obsessing about it they'd have become accustomed to it.

Adeleh Wed 19-Feb-14 23:59:17

Sorry for your loss OP.
Are you allowed to use a Hoover? Start our car? Mow the lawn?
Do they feel they have the right to do these things?

Wantsunshine Wed 19-Feb-14 23:59:38

Sorry for your loss OP. Really did not expect you to say 40's! He clearly has some other issues, it is not your heating.
Bumpotato- What did you say to you neighbours apart from fuck off! Did they really think you would change your routine. Can't imagine that would have been their only issue either!

Fairenuff Thu 20-Feb-14 00:02:13

Please put your heating on now, just for half an hour or so to annoy him.

timesarehard Thu 20-Feb-14 00:02:39

Back, that's exactly what my DH said to them earlier; that they're now waiting for it and they've turned it into a bigger issue than it actually is.

We have three DC under six so we can't sit here freezing. They're lucky we've had a mild winter.

I just really don't want to fall out with my neighbours. We've lived here for eight years and have managed to negotiate a land access issue without falling out!

Fairenuff Thu 20-Feb-14 00:02:56

Or get yourself a drum kit, he won't hear the noise of the heating over that.

BumPotato Thu 20-Feb-14 00:04:11

Squoosh, we ignored them, they went madder and madder, and eventually moved to a detached house. They were early 40s too with young children.

OP if your neighbour approaches you again, get it logged with the police. I'm worried about the shotgun. If the police think NDN is unstable at all they can do something about his gun license.

I had to go to the police, eventually, with a complaint about my neighbours and they told me I should have been logging every instance of the harassment over the 3 years it went on for. All the occurrences were minor in themselves (therefore I didn't feel warranted reporting) but the final one got him a police record.

AnyFuckerHQ Thu 20-Feb-14 00:10:57

Gosh, not everyone with a gun licence is a potential murderer who needs bringing to the attention of the police (even if they do seem a bit petty) smile

expatinscotland Thu 20-Feb-14 00:11:13

He can get earplugs. Fuckwit.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 20-Feb-14 00:14:44

I would carry on regardless.

It's become a Big Thing for them.

Next they'll be telling you when you can flush uour loo....

YeahThatsWhatISaid Thu 20-Feb-14 00:16:26

I have to admit that humming noises can really irritate me so I have a little sympathy with him (depending on how loud it is) Is there anything that you can easily and cheaply do that would minimise the noise? There are various sound absorbing products (foam boards etc) that may be used to effectively reduce the noise.
I know you shouldn't have too and that you don't sound like you are doing anything unreasonable but I think it might be worth looking into a bit of soundproofing.
I used to be an EHO and would always suggest to people that they sort these things out as amicably as possible. I used to get a lot of complaints about 'hums', it was often from within the complainants own house and from time to time I could find no noise and had to assume tinnitus. A statutory noise nuisance doesn't have to be that loud. It depends on lots of different factors, case law etc etc.

BumPotato Thu 20-Feb-14 00:21:47

True anyfuckerhq but he's already saying to his missus he's going to rip the heating out. Unstable. Not saying he'd commit murder but if he's this rankled about next door's heating he's not in a fit state to have a gun.

timesarehard Thu 20-Feb-14 00:23:44

That's interesting Yeah, thank you for that. DH has said he'll look into it. We're reasonable folk.

We've just come up with a plan though. We're going to try to not use the heating at all for the next week and see if he still complains. Then we will.know if it's in his head or not!

PansOnFire Thu 20-Feb-14 00:29:58

YANBU. He sounds like a prat. Buy him one of those relaxing white noise sound machine things, preferably one with different settings. Tell him to listen to the ocean sounds setting when your heating is on, it might chill him out a bit whilst covering the imaginary hum of the heating.

PigletJohn Thu 20-Feb-14 00:31:34

It's possible the circulating pump is old and worn out. Ask next time it is serviced. I don't know if it is OK to turn down the pump speed with an oil boiler.

Kiddie Thu 20-Feb-14 00:35:15

A friend of mine spent loads on soundproofing their joining walls as the neighbours were very nice but their timings for coming and going were making things unbearable. Then the neighbours moved!

I hate our heating it is so noisy that when we have really cold winters if i can't hear it i panic that it has stopped working. Lucky for us we are detached so only we have to put up with it!

timesarehard Thu 20-Feb-14 00:47:26

Piglet John, the pump is noisy and we're happy to replace that.

However, he claims the noise is coming from the flue. It is secured to their house with two pegs, as their roof is higher than ours. He thinks this is causing vibrations. Is that possible? Doesn't the flute just get rid of fumes?

EverythingCounts Thu 20-Feb-14 01:01:11

I would be wary of letting him think he can dictate when you use your heating. What will it be next?

See your thinking about no heating for a week, but don't stick with it if you get cold. Be very pleasant but firm about continuing to use the heating at perfectly reasonable times.

Adeleh Thu 20-Feb-14 01:04:38

He's not being reasonable, times. Don't freeze all next week! Or else ask him to fund your use of blow heaters for a week!

augenblick Thu 20-Feb-14 05:07:49

I would be very tempted to say oh yes, we'll do that, then deny point blank your heating is on. Just be totally convinced, oh no, heating wasn't on like you asked - maybe it was a pigeon? Sometimes the only way back with mad bastards is to be a bit mad!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Thu 20-Feb-14 05:50:55

Take up the drums.
Her timing was insensitive.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now