To think having our Christening party in a pub is odd?

(57 Posts)
Strawberryteddybear Wed 19-Feb-14 21:43:23

We ideally want a community hall, but there are none local to our church that are available. Ones that are available are a car ride away and as some of our guests won't be driving, I think its unfair for us to expect them to get a bus/taxi.

There is a nice pub within walking distance that have a function room available, and is perfect. It doesn't really bother me or Dp but it feels weird and I don't know if our guests would be like hmm.

AIBU? Or am I just thinking too much about it?

LucilleBluth Wed 19-Feb-14 22:15:59

I don't think I haven't been to a christening party that wasn't in a pub.

WaitMonkey Wed 19-Feb-14 22:16:52

YABU. Christening parties are often held in pubs.

CremeEggThief Wed 19-Feb-14 22:17:58

YABU. Nearly all Christenings in Ireland are held in the park.

Relax and enjoy it smile.

Strawberryteddybear Wed 19-Feb-14 22:18:48

Oh I love mumsnet grin

Very happy to admit IBU!

Pubs have always been the place where we have gotten very very drunk, so I've always associated them with wild nights out. I couldn't imagine my dedicated Christian grandparents in one!

CaterpillarCara Wed 19-Feb-14 22:19:24

It is absolutely fine. Did it with both ours. :-)

litdog Wed 19-Feb-14 22:37:58

We had babies 2 and 3's christening parties in pubs near our house in London and they were BRILLIANT parties. Rather glamorous, too, I thought!

FAR more fun than the buffet lunch at home we did with baby 1.

Enjoy it - those latter two parties were some of the best parties we've given!

YeahThatsWhatISaid Wed 19-Feb-14 22:44:42

YANBU. It wouldn't have crossed my mind that it might be a problem.

Hope you have a lovely christening

YeahThatsWhatISaid Wed 19-Feb-14 22:45:42

Oops...I meant YABU. (But not very as you have admitted it grin )

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 19-Feb-14 22:52:48

OP, YANBU.

I am from an Irish Catholic background. Christening parties are regularly held in pubs and maybe it's just me, but I feel really uneasy celebrating children related stuff in a pub.

Thewhingingdefective Wed 19-Feb-14 22:58:04

I'm common then.

I live in a small, rural village in Cornwall. The church is a short walk up the road and the pub is right next to it. We had our little ones' Christening parties at the pub, in the beer garden. It was lovely.

brooncoo Wed 19-Feb-14 22:59:32

We had ours in a local pub. Was like hiring the space and we had it too ourselves and got a buffet in.

MrsMook Wed 19-Feb-14 22:59:44

DS1'S was in a pub function room. Sadly it was close down by DS2'S turn, so we hosted at home.

Summerblaze Wed 19-Feb-14 23:14:57

Yep. Been to a few in a pub. As long as you arent expecting the baby to down a few shots, it will be fine.

StarGazeyPond Wed 19-Feb-14 23:16:58

Where I am the only place TO do a function is the pub - there's nothing else for 9 miles in any direction!!

Writerwannabe83 Wed 19-Feb-14 23:19:44

I've only been to one Christening and the after function was in a pub - to be fair I was glad of the alcohol as I was bored out of my brain!! grin

Just don't do what my friends did which was to put on a CD of Nursery Rhymes which they played for over 2 hours over the main speakers.

We were all drinking just to drown out the pure horror of it all grin

Defnotsupergirl Thu 20-Feb-14 02:58:28

I have never been to one that isn't in a pub. The whole parish doesn't come to the church but they tend to roll up to the pub. A great way to welcome the baby to the community. Our pub is more of a hub of the country community for young to old though rather than a wild night out place!

Kytti Thu 20-Feb-14 03:02:59

Had all four of mine in a pub. What's wrong with that?

RuddyDuck Thu 20-Feb-14 03:08:15

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't. Having said that, I've never been to a Christening party in a pub. Most of the Christenings I've been to have been held at the child's home, and the others have been in a Church Hall.

What I do think would be unreasonable would be if you expected guests to pay for their own drinks.

Strawberryteddybear Thu 20-Feb-14 03:13:48

Thanks.

We'd have the room so will have food and drinks like it would have in a community hall.

The party will finish around 8 so I guess people could stay on if they wanted? It'll be good not to have to worry about cleaning up!

goldopals Thu 20-Feb-14 07:37:37

KayleeFrye

I am a Salvo and have been to quite a few "christening" parties in pubs. Most salvos I know go to pubs very regularly for food, especially country ones

CremeEggThief Thu 20-Feb-14 13:11:13

Park??? I did of course mean pub! Oops!

5Foot5 Thu 20-Feb-14 13:14:49

Sounds fine if it is the only place locally. Heavens I have been to funeral gatherings in a pub before now.

procrastinatingagain Thu 20-Feb-14 13:16:31

I went to a lovely one in a pub recently. The parents provided a buffet and a dj. We paid for our own drinks. It didn't occur to me that the parents would have paid tbh.

milkysmum Thu 20-Feb-14 13:21:35

I have never been to a christening that wasn't in a pub!

Safyre Thu 20-Feb-14 13:27:15

DS1's christening party was in the church hall - ridiculously expensive, no bar, and half the guests, including one of the Godmother's and FIL left (without saying goodbye, but that's another issue) after an hour or so to go to the pub.

DC2's will be in the pub. It's cheaper, it's got more space, and will probably make everyone else happier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now