To think having our Christening party in a pub is odd?

(57 Posts)
Strawberryteddybear Wed 19-Feb-14 21:43:23

We ideally want a community hall, but there are none local to our church that are available. Ones that are available are a car ride away and as some of our guests won't be driving, I think its unfair for us to expect them to get a bus/taxi.

There is a nice pub within walking distance that have a function room available, and is perfect. It doesn't really bother me or Dp but it feels weird and I don't know if our guests would be like hmm.

AIBU? Or am I just thinking too much about it?

Annunziata Wed 19-Feb-14 21:44:20

YABU, it's very common.

Panzee Wed 19-Feb-14 21:44:44

Use the pub. They sell drinks and do food. What's not to like?

YABU, I went to one 2 weeks ago and it was lovely.

EatShitDerek Wed 19-Feb-14 21:45:22

YABU its normal. Well to people I know.

2beornot Wed 19-Feb-14 21:45:42

We had dd's christening party in a pub. Well actually it was a carvery/pub and we all had a roast dinner!!!

Depends on the type of pub I guess - a nice family pub would be fine.

BrokenToeOuch Wed 19-Feb-14 21:45:45

I have been to a few in a pub and didn't think it was odd smile

bazingasheldon Wed 19-Feb-14 21:46:13

I've managed pubs and clubs for over 20 years and have seen hundreds of christenings. It's very common where I live.

It'll be lovely, nothing wrong with a pub.

Longdistance Wed 19-Feb-14 21:47:35

YABU. We had ours in the pub across the road that had a function room. Nothing wrong with that, they dealt with the mess, and catering.

Why does it feel weird? Is it that you've just been to church, and then rolled into a pub?

2beornot Wed 19-Feb-14 21:47:41

Sorry I forgot - YABU!

CasperGutman Wed 19-Feb-14 21:53:09

Sounds fine, as long as it's a nice pub.

Presumably when Annunziata said "it's very common", she meant "it happens a lot'" rather than "it had no class"!

LaGuardia Wed 19-Feb-14 21:54:00

How vair vair working class. YABVU.

WorraLiberty Wed 19-Feb-14 21:54:51

I'm from an Irish family and we'd consider it weird not to hold it in a pub or social club grin

ClaudetteWyms Wed 19-Feb-14 21:56:25

YABU it's quite normal, have been to one and it was fab!

Pigeonhouse Wed 19-Feb-14 21:59:10

Why on earth does it feel weird, OP? Are your guests very religious teetotallers who think pubs exist off the Wages of Sin or something?

Annunziata Wed 19-Feb-14 22:01:10

Presumably when Annunziata said "it's very common", she meant "it happens a lot'" rather than "it had no class"!

blush Oops, yes I did.

Is this a Methodist christening? That would be odd. Otherwise it would be perfectly fine.

scantilymad Wed 19-Feb-14 22:04:19

It sounds lovely. Not weird at all. Have a fantastic party.

I'm so glad you confirmed that Annunzia, I knew you wouldn't have meant it the other way!

JackNoneReacher Wed 19-Feb-14 22:11:48

Pub function rooms exist for Christening and funeral 'do's'.

Why is it weird?? Because it sells booze?

BackforGood Wed 19-Feb-14 22:11:53

It just depends if you have any very strict Methodists (very much in a tiny minority, but they do exist in Methodist Churches) who you were planning to invite.

Mrswellyboot Wed 19-Feb-14 22:13:51

Wet the baby's head

Go to the pub. Everyone does that here.

KayleeFrye Wed 19-Feb-14 22:14:39

It's perfectly normal and fine to do gatherings after christenings (and funerals too for that matter) in a nearby pub. nothing weird at all. (Unless any of the family are strict methodists or SallyArmy or similarly abstentionists!)

Amy106 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:15:32

That's not odd at all. Sounds like fun! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now