to ask whereabouts your dog sleeps?

(66 Posts)
ohhifruit Wed 19-Feb-14 20:01:27

We have 3 dogs and we live in a flat, don't worry it has a good sized garden, they're not trapped in a flat all day.
They sleep in the hallway which is in the centre of the flat, meaning we can hear them in the mornings when they start 'asking' to go out (they don't bark they just whine and bang their crate but I imagine they would bark if left for longer than 5 mins) and their crate is out of the way. The time they wake up varies and can be from 6am to 9am.
Obviously because they are close by we can hear them (even though both of us have only partial hearing), we have the chance to leap out of bed and let them out to the garden for the loo without disturbing neighbours.

Where on earth do you keep dogs within your house so they don't wake the neighbours early in the morning? Our (hopefully if it the purchase goes well) new house is an end terrace, so we will only have neighbours on one side however I don't want to annoy them with our dogs.

They sleep in one crate together and see it as their little haven, they struggle to sleep overnight without the crate. There is no room whatsoever on the upstairs landing for their crate and I'd rather not have them in bedrooms, especially as we will soon have a newborn in with us.
Downstairs there is no obvious spot other than a utility room or conservatory (will a conservatory be too hot/cold?) which are both as far away from our bedroom as we can get.

Where do you keep your dogs and can you hear them?

I know this is a totally overcautious and probably wet thread but I just want us to be good neighbours in our first house.

nostress Thu 20-Feb-14 15:26:07

My two are in a crate in utility room. They go out at 7pm then sleep through to 7am. They never cry or whine. Accept if they have been crated and someone arrives etc. I wish they would whine if they really needed to go out as one messes the cage if he's ill. Now if he's ill I dont crate him and I sleep on the sofa with him. One of my dogs will not go to the loo until we go out for a walk approx 2 hours later. She can go for hours without toiletting. I think its because she doesnt drink much.

villagegossip Thu 20-Feb-14 15:09:11

They have a corner sofa in our bedroom grin

Would never restrict them from having the run of the house and they have a dog flap also so can let themselves into the garden if needed but as I take them out for their last walk between 9pm and midnight and up and out with them again at half 6 for their 1st walk they rarely need to.

Sorry but I would not personally want to crate them or shut outside. Each to their own and all that but DP and I love having them nearby.

Also, a previous dog of mine woke me when a small fire started in the kitchen - dread to think what would have happened if he had been shut in there or unable to nudge me sad

Aussiemum78 Thu 20-Feb-14 10:50:29

Outside. In a kennel.

Except for 1-2 times a year when it gets below 10 degrees and we let them be smelly inside.

wfrances Thu 20-Feb-14 10:29:57

our dog sleeps in the kitchen, she doesn t bark
dh gets up for work at 5 ish so if she needs a wee she goes out then if not I let her out again 7.30 when I get up.
on the very rare occasion she has needed a wee in the night ive heard her pacing up and down in the kitchen (on the tiled floor)so have let her out.

diddl Thu 20-Feb-14 10:08:36

Do they whine because they're bored or desperate for a wee?

My dog doesn't get agitated untill about 11am!

SillyTilly123 Thu 20-Feb-14 09:57:53

Ddog changes between my bed, and hers on my bedroom floor. I usually wake for the loo myself around 1-2am so let her out then if she needs it. If, miraculusly, I dont need the loo but she does, she just paces from the bed to the door until I get up (im a light sleeper so this wakes me even though its carpet)

Sceptimum Thu 20-Feb-14 07:25:27

Our dog now sleeps upstairs in the study next to our room. My childhood dog slept in the utility but was a quiet dog. Maybe consider buying a cheap baby monitor so you can hear them? We tried it ours out on the dog before Childzilla arrived.

Sushiqueen Thu 20-Feb-14 07:14:32

In the extra utility room. Basically it is her room and now only has her stuff in. She has a dog flap but we shut that at night otherwise she would be out barking at the birds etc. barks to be let out around 6.30 if we haven't already done so.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 20-Feb-14 07:09:06

On dd's bed.

He has his own bed on the floor in her room and starts off there but I know he jumps up.

Coumarin Thu 20-Feb-14 07:06:23

He has a 'proper' bed in the utility room. It's underneath the work surface so feels like a little den.
He also has another bed which is in the dining room. The kitchen, utility and dining room are open plan so he has free run of the three rooms at night. He sleeps in both beds equally. Although favours the 'proper' bed if he's unwell or extra tired.

He's usually snoring when we come down in the morning. Particularly in Winter. Has to be made to go out for a pee if it's spitting slightly or a bit chilly. He's a delicate soul. grin
(We're talking a fairly large terrier here.)

LtEveDallas Thu 20-Feb-14 06:58:41

MuttDog has the run of the house, although her bed is actually in the alcove under the stairs.

She's not allowed on the bed

<<Goes upstairs, sees MuttDog curled up with DD in bed, goes blind, comes back downstairs to MN>>

In kitchen, door closed (standard dog basket with blankets). We'd hear him bark, but wouldn't her him whine I don't think. But I don't think he would ever do that anyway, he seems to lie patiently in bed until we go down there (anytime between 6 and 8) to start they day. He's always quiet and in bed when we go down.

steff13 Thu 20-Feb-14 06:46:51

Daisy sleeps on our bed. If I get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, she will be on my pillow when I come back. shock

Tulip26 Thu 20-Feb-14 06:33:19

Crate in the dining room. He's too old for the crate at three, really. However I am in a rental propertly and he's destructive. I've had to replace doors, floors and door frames before. Not to mention cushions, fluffly dog beds...

goldopals Thu 20-Feb-14 06:22:54

In a crate in a kitchen

nooka Thu 20-Feb-14 06:11:22

Our dog sleeps in the spare bedroom next to us on a bit of a princess and the pea bed (newest bed on top of a heap of old ones!). He loves his sleep and generally only wakes us up if he's got a tummy upset or if the cats bring something in/play with something outside his window.

I would expect that your neighbours are more likely to be woken by the new baby, but I'd make sure the dogs crate is downstairs and on the non-adjoining side of the house if you can.

Logg1e Thu 20-Feb-14 05:56:43

Bits I can only speak for our house, but when the dogs get wet and muddy, we clean and dry them - you can't leave them wet and muddy!

But they do smell doggy.

DizzyBlonde80 Wed 19-Feb-14 23:09:17

She sleeps right outside our bedroom door. It makes going for a wee interesting when I'm half asleep!

yesyestisme Wed 19-Feb-14 23:07:12

My dog has 2 doggie beds but rarely uses them. He is currently in my bed curled up behind my knees and snoring!! smile

MintyChops Wed 19-Feb-14 22:58:17

One sleeps on the sofa in the sitting room, has the run of downstairs and takes himself out the dog flap whenever he needs a pee. The other sleeps in her crate (brought into the sitting room every night) and is taken out for a pee at 7.30 every morning. She never pees in her crate but if left to roam freely at night she leaves a turd or pee by the front door despite happily using the dog flap all day. It's as though the nighttime steals her memory!!

TeenageAdvice15 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:56:28

I live in a flat as well - no garden but we manage. My dog has a bed in my DD's room which is just a folded up duvet with his favourite blanket on top, he hates 'official' dog beds and much prefers the sofa or an actual bed. Sometimes he sleeps on DD bed.

guffaw Wed 19-Feb-14 22:55:58

'Most-beloved-of-all-dogs' starts off in her own (luxury doggy) bed, under her mini-doggy-duvet, in our bedroom.

About 30 mins after lights out, she tiptoes over to our bed - if one of us is still awake, she gets sent back to bed (wooden floors so we hear her 'trip-trap')

Once we are asleep, or if she gets onto our bed before we are aware of it, (she just 'freezes', if we say 'back to bed', until we give up) she creeps under our duvet in slow motion, until fully esconsed behind my knees grin after which we battle over the 'edge of the bed' (aka the cool bit) while dp sleeps 'peacefully' on ... in the very slim bit of bed left to him grin

'most-beloved-of-all-dogs' is still young enough to control her bladder until we're up, and sleeps as long as we do, (or until the postman comes, triggering outraged barking of the 'git orf moi laynd' sort from 'm-b-o-a-d'

disclaimer - we have a very healthy, regularly wormed and flea-prevented m-b-o-a-d, and change our bedding every day, (mostly due to my menopausal symptoms, - rather than sharing the bed with m-b-o-a-d blush )

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 19-Feb-14 22:45:14

My dog is only little and he doesn't go yomping through the fields directly before bed!

He smells a bit doggified but I like that.....

maddy68 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:44:48

My dog and three cats all sleep in bed with me and oh and I wouldn't have it any other way smile

BitsinTatters Wed 19-Feb-14 22:35:17

Those of you who share your beds with your furry friends,don't they make your bed filthy... my labradors would make my bed disgusting. They are hairy and muddy and wet and ewwwwww

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now