to ask whereabouts your dog sleeps?

(66 Posts)
ohhifruit Wed 19-Feb-14 20:01:27

We have 3 dogs and we live in a flat, don't worry it has a good sized garden, they're not trapped in a flat all day.
They sleep in the hallway which is in the centre of the flat, meaning we can hear them in the mornings when they start 'asking' to go out (they don't bark they just whine and bang their crate but I imagine they would bark if left for longer than 5 mins) and their crate is out of the way. The time they wake up varies and can be from 6am to 9am.
Obviously because they are close by we can hear them (even though both of us have only partial hearing), we have the chance to leap out of bed and let them out to the garden for the loo without disturbing neighbours.

Where on earth do you keep dogs within your house so they don't wake the neighbours early in the morning? Our (hopefully if it the purchase goes well) new house is an end terrace, so we will only have neighbours on one side however I don't want to annoy them with our dogs.

They sleep in one crate together and see it as their little haven, they struggle to sleep overnight without the crate. There is no room whatsoever on the upstairs landing for their crate and I'd rather not have them in bedrooms, especially as we will soon have a newborn in with us.
Downstairs there is no obvious spot other than a utility room or conservatory (will a conservatory be too hot/cold?) which are both as far away from our bedroom as we can get.

Where do you keep your dogs and can you hear them?

I know this is a totally overcautious and probably wet thread but I just want us to be good neighbours in our first house.

theeternalstudent Wed 19-Feb-14 21:28:52

My dog sleeps in the bed with me.
I need to wake her up in the morning to go out for a walk. She would happily stay in bed until 11am if I'd let her!
She is old mind.

Haveacwtch Wed 19-Feb-14 21:31:02

I've got two dogs who are now six. They sleep in my husbands office downstairs in a crate. It's a large one. They have done this since pups. We don't even shut the door anymore and they still don't come out until we go in usually between 7 and 8.

Logg1e Wed 19-Feb-14 21:37:51

We have two golden retrievers. One sleeps at the foot of our bed, the other moves around during the night and sleeps in one of the children's rooms or on the landing and checks in with us.

I personally don't agree with cages for dogs.

babybythesea Wed 19-Feb-14 21:37:54

Downstairs. Wherever she wants. She has free run downstairs - there's nothing to stop her coming up but she's not allowed upstairs so she just doesn't come up. She's not allowed on furniture either so she sleeps on the floor. The only time she's ever come up was when she needed a wee and got so desperate she came to find me. Apart from that, she doesn't get up until we do.

phlebasconsidered Wed 19-Feb-14 21:40:31

I never even realised this was an issue, our lab /cocker cross had a crate as a puupy, but since 6 mths has slept in the utility room in his "pit" with blankies and bed. He gets up after I do at 6! He never begs to go out, in fact we have to force him if it's damp, he's a champion "holder", can leave it till lunchtime if it's raining!

KittensoftPuppydog Wed 19-Feb-14 21:44:00

In my bed, which is handy when she needs to wake me up at 3.30 to go out...
She is old though, and doesn't bark, just waggles her ears.

BrennanHasAMangina Wed 19-Feb-14 21:46:18

Ours sleep on our bed. They never wake us up. Ever. I'll let you think about that one smile.

Boaby Wed 19-Feb-14 21:50:44

Our wee dog has a bed in the living room & has the run of the living room and upstairs & downstairs hall. He doesn't wake up until about 10 on weekends (we're so lucky) but when he's awake he's full on all the time.

He barks during the day at the postie/window cleaner/cats passing the window but soon gets bored & goes off to cause havoc somewhere else.

pist Wed 19-Feb-14 21:55:57

In our bed. I make him go out when I get dcs up at7 then he hurries back to bed. He doesn't do mornings and can happily lie in until gone 11. He's a real teenager!

Amy106 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:13:12

Our dear old dog is free to sleep wherever he wants in the house but seems to like the warmth of the kitchen so we ended up putting his dog bed in there. Most mornings he is still fast asleep when we get up to take him for a walk.

Mine has the run of the house, apart from ds's room as he likes his door closed at night. She never moves from the half landing on the stairs though and has a bladder of steel so never, ever wakes me up to go out! I've always been pretty lucky as none of the dogs I've had have been wanderers during the night, or early risers!

randomfemale Wed 19-Feb-14 22:19:48

My dog has her own 'official' bed but as we also have four cats she can seldom get on it, therefore she sleeps on either the sofa in the kitchen/diner or the sofa in the lounge. We are detached but if she needs the loo she does a kind of high pitched 'yip' rather than a full on bark so no neighbours are disturbed smile

PansOnFire Wed 19-Feb-14 22:25:31

In the kitchen in her bed, she has to be forced to go outside (especially in cold weather or rain) when we go downstairs at 7am. She rarely wakes us up but we can always hear her snoring so we know her barking would wake us. She's like me smile.

VeryStressedMum Wed 19-Feb-14 22:25:42

She sleeps wherever she wants though the kitchen door and sitting room door is shut at night. She's got a bed in the hall but usually sleeps on the landing upstairs or in one if the dcs rooms.
She never wakes up before me in the morning, or maybe she does, I'm asleep I have no idea what she's doing..but she waits until I'm up before asking to go out.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 19-Feb-14 22:26:20

Mine sleeps on my bed and goes out the cat flap for a wee.He is supposed to sleep in his bed, but he's no bother and I like him on my bed.

I wouldn't shut my dog in a crate in normal circumstances.There would have to be a good safety reason for me to do that.

VeryStressedMum Wed 19-Feb-14 22:27:02

And she never barks so I can't help you with tips there either sorry.

BitsinTatters Wed 19-Feb-14 22:35:17

Those of you who share your beds with your furry friends,don't they make your bed filthy... my labradors would make my bed disgusting. They are hairy and muddy and wet and ewwwwww

maddy68 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:44:48

My dog and three cats all sleep in bed with me and oh and I wouldn't have it any other way smile

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 19-Feb-14 22:45:14

My dog is only little and he doesn't go yomping through the fields directly before bed!

He smells a bit doggified but I like that.....

guffaw Wed 19-Feb-14 22:55:58

'Most-beloved-of-all-dogs' starts off in her own (luxury doggy) bed, under her mini-doggy-duvet, in our bedroom.

About 30 mins after lights out, she tiptoes over to our bed - if one of us is still awake, she gets sent back to bed (wooden floors so we hear her 'trip-trap')

Once we are asleep, or if she gets onto our bed before we are aware of it, (she just 'freezes', if we say 'back to bed', until we give up) she creeps under our duvet in slow motion, until fully esconsed behind my knees grin after which we battle over the 'edge of the bed' (aka the cool bit) while dp sleeps 'peacefully' on ... in the very slim bit of bed left to him grin

'most-beloved-of-all-dogs' is still young enough to control her bladder until we're up, and sleeps as long as we do, (or until the postman comes, triggering outraged barking of the 'git orf moi laynd' sort from 'm-b-o-a-d'

disclaimer - we have a very healthy, regularly wormed and flea-prevented m-b-o-a-d, and change our bedding every day, (mostly due to my menopausal symptoms, - rather than sharing the bed with m-b-o-a-d blush )

TeenageAdvice15 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:56:28

I live in a flat as well - no garden but we manage. My dog has a bed in my DD's room which is just a folded up duvet with his favourite blanket on top, he hates 'official' dog beds and much prefers the sofa or an actual bed. Sometimes he sleeps on DD bed.

MintyChops Wed 19-Feb-14 22:58:17

One sleeps on the sofa in the sitting room, has the run of downstairs and takes himself out the dog flap whenever he needs a pee. The other sleeps in her crate (brought into the sitting room every night) and is taken out for a pee at 7.30 every morning. She never pees in her crate but if left to roam freely at night she leaves a turd or pee by the front door despite happily using the dog flap all day. It's as though the nighttime steals her memory!!

yesyestisme Wed 19-Feb-14 23:07:12

My dog has 2 doggie beds but rarely uses them. He is currently in my bed curled up behind my knees and snoring!! smile

DizzyBlonde80 Wed 19-Feb-14 23:09:17

She sleeps right outside our bedroom door. It makes going for a wee interesting when I'm half asleep!

Logg1e Thu 20-Feb-14 05:56:43

Bits I can only speak for our house, but when the dogs get wet and muddy, we clean and dry them - you can't leave them wet and muddy!

But they do smell doggy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now