To be a bit paranoid about my spelling and grammar on MN?

(65 Posts)
Hotmad Wed 19-Feb-14 19:31:35

Seen quite a few threads here about poor spelling and grammar that every time I write something now I make sure I spell correctly, don't use text speak and proof read it before posting!
Apart from spelling and grammar what other human errors and behaviours annoy you most?

IsitwrongtofancyHarryStyles Thu 20-Feb-14 08:05:02

Ooh ooh I care, Zero! <waves wildly>

but your and you're is worse

ZeroSomeGameThingy Thu 20-Feb-14 08:09:10

Oooh! <Waves back>

Though actually I might start another, even more vital and thrilling thread about "less" and "fewer."

Just thinking about these two words makes me happy.

IsitwrongtofancyHarryStyles Thu 20-Feb-14 08:11:09

I would read your thread and rejoice in it...

ZeroSomeGameThingy Thu 20-Feb-14 08:18:50
ZeroSomeGameThingy Thu 20-Feb-14 08:20:19

....perhaps the title was a little lacking in excitement....

IsitwrongtofancyHarryStyles Thu 20-Feb-14 08:21:34

Hmmm, yes it is a little dry Zero. I will visit though.

winklewoman Thu 20-Feb-14 08:37:54

SelectAUserNane, as you are "one of nature's spelling pedants", can we assume that your spelling of 'humerous' was a humorous little jest? wink

SelectAUserName Thu 20-Feb-14 12:35:41

Never fails, winkle - hoist by my own petard! grin

SelectAUserName Thu 20-Feb-14 12:37:10

PS. It's SelectAUserNaMe not NaNe <touché> wink

MisguidedAngel Thu 20-Feb-14 12:51:09

What about "on his behalf" instead of "on his part" (and vice versa)? That drives me wild and I hear more and more people getting it wrong on Radio 4. I also hate it when people say, for example "John gave it to Jane and I" - it should be "Jane and me". I shout at the radio but I wouldn't correct anyone (except dp!)

I agree with others that spelling and punctuation mistakes on mn don't bother me, but text speak and lack of paragraphs just make posts difficult to read, which means they might be ignored.

winklewoman Thu 20-Feb-14 13:06:56

SelectA , I thought when you addressed someone by their user name (or even nane) incorrect spelling was excused. I allow you the shortened form of mine and return the compliment. grin

SelectAUserName Thu 20-Feb-14 13:19:59

grin

SilverOldie Thu 20-Feb-14 13:31:53

I can ignore most errors but one thing I cannot stand is people using would OF/could OF instead of HAVE.

It irritates me so much that I normally close the thread. No doubt I should get a life.

ifandwhen Thu 20-Feb-14 13:41:47

Bless you all sitting here grinning over grammar - let me join you grin.
In common with other posters, above, I'm quite pedantic particular about spelling and grammar on the whole, but not on here. I presume that most people are typing in states of emotion, snatched moments with half-an-eye on a pot boiling over, or on tiny phone keypads, so it would be missing the point to pull anyone up on typos or sentence construction, as long as the text is comprehensible. Mind you, I'm 3 months off submitting a PhD thesis and still getting pulled up on previously unknown grammatical niceties. Which reminds me that I still don't quite follow when to use hyphens... <goes off to google>

Sallyingforth Thu 20-Feb-14 13:46:52

*Seen quite a few threads here about poor spelling and grammar that every time I write something now I make sure I spell correctly, don't use text speak and proof read it before posting!"

I'm afraid you didn't proof read that sufficiently, OP, since what you have written is not a correct sentence. It doesn't contain a subject.

everlong Thu 20-Feb-14 14:05:26

Don't stress it OP.

It's a bit mean to point out bad grammar and spellings imo. I do see things but wouldn't highlight them though.

Gee, sallyin, I'm sure that's totes like the sorta response she was hoping for, you big genius proofreader, you.

I get confused between their and there. It has been explained to me numerous times but it just won't stick!

everlong Thu 20-Feb-14 14:57:22

" she pointed over there " Tom and James took their dog for a walk "

squoosh Thu 20-Feb-14 14:58:27

Where/here/there all describe places.

squoosh Thu 20-Feb-14 15:06:51

And an heir is a person, their refers to people.

AphraBane Thu 20-Feb-14 15:10:52

Newt: The one I still get confused about is practice/practise

I think confusion here is only going to increase, because there's a difference between American and British usage, and we're all being exposed to more written American than ever before thanks to the Interweb.

Essentially:

British
practise as a verb, I need to practise
practice as a noun: get lots of practice

American
practice as a verb, I need to practice
practice as a noun, get lots of practice

So in American English there's no problem, it's always practice. But for British just remember verb is s and noun is c.

amicissimma Thu 20-Feb-14 16:09:26

I do think it's a pity when people get all negative about a non-aggressive correction.

We don't know who is reading and the internet offers a great opportunity to improve one's language skills, and thus ability to communicate clearly, while remaining anonymous.

I see there are some people who would prefer to keep getting it wrong, and that's their perogative, but someone lurking might be unsure of the correct spelling/grammar/usage and very grateful for someone to tell them. Specially as people often explain clearly why.

Although it's rare, I do occasionally find posts that I simply can't understand. I don't say anything, just close the thread, but it would be a pity if I could have helped. I doubt I'm alone.

ami - if you mean that to refer to my comment, TBH, I thought it the context it wasn't non-aggressive. The OP posted saying she tries her best but still worries; to post 'you didn't proofread sufficiently' strikes me as mean, because she's already said she tries.

But if it offended you or you thought it was a gentle correction, I'm sorry. It's just how it read to me personally.

I don't know if you want to know, but in light of what you're saying - it's prerogative. I always want to put an extra 'r' in it somewhere so I've got into the habit of sounding it out with a ridiculous amount of care.

thinking101 Thu 20-Feb-14 16:25:10

Oh I don't care, poor people who have to sit there and correct all the other peoples mistakes. I think it is so sad.

I get quite annoyed when an OP has posted upset or in a stressful situation and they are corrected on something.

I don't give a toss really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now