to not like it when people refer to children with Chicken Pox as having The Pox

(51 Posts)
hootloop Wed 19-Feb-14 15:53:35

It is probably just me but to me they are two very different thing.

Chicken Pox, a very common usually (although sadly not always) mild childhood illness.

The Pox, nasty sexually transmitted disease mostly associated with the past. More correctly known as syphilis.

Am I being unreasonable to cringe a bit when someone says or posts that their child has 'the pox'?

Fontofnowt Wed 19-Feb-14 15:56:18

Small pox too.

I like to wish small pox on the shithead that invented the heat sealed hard packaging.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 19-Feb-14 16:04:43

Cringe away. It's obvious what they mean though, I doubt anyone hears it and thinks a child has syphilis, or plum pox or small pox...

ShatnersBassoon Wed 19-Feb-14 16:04:43

Cringe away. It's obvious what they mean though, I doubt anyone hears it and thinks a child has syphilis, or plum pox or small pox...

Wabbitty Wed 19-Feb-14 16:21:45

or cow pox....

EmmaBemma Wed 19-Feb-14 16:23:06

Good grief.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Wed 19-Feb-14 16:23:30

We've called it the plague.

Bubblegoose Wed 19-Feb-14 16:23:56

Seriously? So when someone says 'my DD's got the pox' do you have to double check that they don't have syphilis?

ReadyToPopAndFresh Wed 19-Feb-14 16:33:25

yabu.

hootloop Wed 19-Feb-14 16:37:32

No, I obviously don't need to check.
I just don't see the need to call something by a name that has a not very nice alternative and well understood meaning.

Is this what is otherwise known as a first world problem?

CoffeeTea103 Wed 19-Feb-14 16:45:05

You really do need some perspective. Who has the time to nitpick over such nonsense. hmm

hootloop Wed 19-Feb-14 16:45:58

Well then, fair enough its just me. I I won't change my opinion but I will accept I have to add it to my list of unreasonable ones.

Although I am surprised nobody else thinks this way.

Yonineedaminute Wed 19-Feb-14 16:46:26

Is this what is otherwise known as a first world problem?

The very definition pumpkin!

HyvaPaiva Wed 19-Feb-14 16:47:30

confused

hootloop Wed 19-Feb-14 16:47:50

Need some perspective, jesus christ I never said my life revoled around it, just wondered if it was just me.

Some people take their mumsnetting far to to seriously.

Yonineedaminute Wed 19-Feb-14 16:48:18

I can honestly say that I pretty much couldn't care about something less than I would care about this particular issue.

GreyGardens Wed 19-Feb-14 16:51:00

I think you may be a little too sensitive?

hootloop Wed 19-Feb-14 17:03:26

I think you may be a little too sensitive?
Not really, I only said cringe a little bit, no different to anyone on here who posts I don't like whatever phrase or word they don't like.

I already said I would add to my list of things that are unreasonable.

cardibach Wed 19-Feb-14 17:12:00

'The pox' for syphilis is outdated though - nobody uses it now. It's become slang for Chicken Pox. It's a bit like the argument about the word gay. A new meaning has taken precedence, you don't need to cringe even a little bit.

hootloop Wed 19-Feb-14 17:18:05

I know it is outdated, although I come across it quite often in the course of my history degree, when reading diaries and letters. Maybe this why it bothers me as outside of mumsnet and social media I have never heard it said refering to Chicken Pox.

littlemisssarcastic Wed 19-Feb-14 17:25:02

I don't think it sounds particularly nice to call chicken pox 'the pox', but it washes over me.
What I hold great objection to wrt chicken pox is that 'chicken pox' get togethers/parties are still going on.

A friends child has come down with chicken pox this week, and at least 3 mutual friends have asked if they can go to said friends so their child will hopefully catch it and get it out of the way.
Perhaps they are joking, or are attempting lighthearted humour about it but it's not funny. I reserve my judgement for those parents who go to any length to deliberately infect their child.
I don't spout my opinion on it, I just hoik my judgey pants up. grin

FunLovinBunster Wed 19-Feb-14 18:37:41

Are there not more important things to obsess about?

See i'd think small pox, not syphilis. Thats the Clap grin

someone calling it "the pox" to me would just be a joke.

but what if they have smallpox or cowpox or monkeypox? Very interesting family of viruses there.

I think its ok to summarise chicken pox as the pox.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now