Homeless with son. Should I live in a tent? Or on a beach somewhere?

(220 Posts)
SwimmingClose Wed 19-Feb-14 00:09:11

I live in the south of England.

I have one child.

I have a serious chronic illness.

I cannot afford to top-up my housing benefit any more. After one year, my savings are now gone.

I worked for 25 years. My parents worked all their lives.

I will be homeless.

Its seemingly impossible to find a Landlord, Social Housing, etc without a Guarantor. I cannot find anyone unless I have a rent 'Guarantor' (which I don't have).

Any thoughts? Just don't know what to do.

Feel weird about it all too. Not sure what to do. Should I live in a tent, etc? Feel very marginalised and strange situation, horrible really.

IneedAwittierNickname Wed 19-Feb-14 00:34:48

Glad to hear the bond scheme/dgs still exists in some areas smile

AgaPanthers Wed 19-Feb-14 00:37:45

Swimming, is the rent being increased? Or are you already paying £300 'top-up' per month?

You don't need to 'renew' anything, you can live there and continue paying the rent on a monthly basis, it's a legal tenancy known as assure periodic, it runs month-to-month.

Agents with their renewal fees can fuck themselves with a rusty blade.

SwimmingClose Wed 19-Feb-14 00:38:10

Yes, I know, I don't like screwing the Landlord. Maybe look at paper bond though thanks, will ring Shelter (but we all know their hands are tied, their advice passive and ineffectual).

TBH, I'd rather live in a field than deal with all the horribleness around this issue.

At least its getting warmer.

TheXxed Wed 19-Feb-14 00:38:23

Swimming we know this you don't seem to understand that not renewing a lease and leaving a property is classed as intentionally making yourself homeless.

Wait until he evicts you.

AgaPanthers Wed 19-Feb-14 00:38:44

Obviously if you let it lapse into periodic, that would give you time to perhaps find a new place to move into, without having to commit to a full year of penury.

NigellasDealer Wed 19-Feb-14 00:38:57

swimming i am also in insecure housing with children so i do understand how you are feeling, and i must apologise for not reading the thread carefully enough in the first place and diving in with a wrong response!

however seriously are you really looking for advice?

SwimmingClose Wed 19-Feb-14 00:43:32

Yeah, well, I just don't wanna screw the Landlord or my Guarantor (a big favour) by refusing to evict the premises etc.

Anyway, just a tired, upset late-night post. I don't think I'm the only one in this situation, but probably a minority.

NigellasDealer Wed 19-Feb-14 00:46:37

never mind about 'screwing' anyone you have to put you and your son first - have you filled in a housing form at the council at least?

AgaPanthers Wed 19-Feb-14 00:46:52

Take it seriously.

I wouldn't assume the guarantor is liable if you default. Advice is available on this.

And again, the landlord is in business, you aren't screwing him if you don't pay.

TheXxed Wed 19-Feb-14 00:47:11

No, its far more common than you realise. Don't be a martyr think of your son. Pay as much rent as you can when you are in council accommodation set up a repayment plan.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Wed 19-Feb-14 00:47:54

Can you find somewhere cheaper? How come there is a top up of £300 per month?

Slutbucket Wed 19-Feb-14 00:48:49

What about citizens advice bureau? What is your chronic illness is it something you can claim DLA for ?

SwimmingClose Wed 19-Feb-14 00:49:20

Er, there is no council accommodation, so I don't know what you mean or where you are coming from X. I am in PRIVATE rented accommodation I thought that was clear. I am not a martyr btw.

Funnyfoot Wed 19-Feb-14 00:49:20

Would the guarantor who helped you get this house not help you again on a cheaper property?
You say you are not in arrears and are not going to be evicted just that you can no longer afford to renew the lease.
Do you have no family or friends that can be guarantor for you somewhere cheaper?

Sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick OP it's just that I don't know if your asking for advice or just getting stuff off your chest.

On a side note yes living in a tent maybe away of reducing the horribleness of housing etc for you but that really is not a good option for your child. You need to be realistic. The advice you have been given is good.

NigellasDealer Wed 19-Feb-14 00:50:33

yes well there will definitely be no council accommodation if you do not fill in a form requesting it!

AgaPanthers Wed 19-Feb-14 00:51:07

"Er, there is no council accommodation"

There certainly is. 100% guaranteed. It might not be in your local area, but they have a legal duty to house you, and they will house you, immediately (but perhaps in a B+B miles away), IF you are made homeless.

If you choose to leave your home for the sake of some landlord or guarantor then you are doing your son a serious wrong.

Bluesandgreen Wed 19-Feb-14 00:52:23

By all common sense rules you are not choosing to make yourself intentionally homeless. However by crazy council rules you are indeed making yourself intentionally homeless.
You really need to check the position before leaving your current home.

IneedAwittierNickname Wed 19-Feb-14 00:53:18

OP I've been there (similar situation), I know how scary it is.

SwimmingClose Wed 19-Feb-14 00:54:44

No, the Guarantor would not help me.

No, I do not have family or friends who will top-up.

I think FunnyFoot is talking stuff that is nothing to do with what I have clearly I have already said. But I honestly think people who are comfortable are living on another planet and do not understand the very, very simple points I am making.

Yes, I am probably making a point and hacked off. But realistically - no top-up, no guarantor, no re-newable lease, etc etc its actually factual. I will call Shelter nxt week, but I do suspect they are "fang-less".

Chippednailvarnish Wed 19-Feb-14 00:59:38

You need to call Shelter tomorrow, people are trying to help you...

Funnyfoot Wed 19-Feb-14 00:59:48

Fine OP.
I thought I was just asking whether or not you had anyone who could help you in RL seen as I don't know you and do not know if you have a supportive group around you.

I also think your abrupt manner and rude replies are not in any way helping yourself or your child.

Oh and by all means wait till next week to ring shelter because waiting 5 days is going to make a huge difference.

NigellasDealer Wed 19-Feb-14 00:59:53

yes shelter are 'fangless', 'passive and ineffectual' 'there is no council accommodation'.....I understand you are feeling negative but you seem to be poo-pooing all advice you are being given here. It is like some kind of psychological game.
Have you thought about moving to a cheaper part of the country?

SwimmingClose Wed 19-Feb-14 01:00:57

Wittiernicknam, yes its horrible, scary even. I'm not kidding about the tent thing either sad.

AgaPanthers Wed 19-Feb-14 01:02:10

Jesus woman, you are just ignoring what you are told? Do you just want to feel that you are impotent?

How exactly is the lease not renewable? You just stay there, paying the rent until you want to move out. You don't need to 'renew' anything.

AgaPanthers Wed 19-Feb-14 01:02:56

BTW tents are very bad for your health, the damp is bad for your respiratory system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now