To find it hard sometimes to motivate myself during the school holidays?

(23 Posts)
DipMeInChocolate Fri 21-Feb-14 00:05:48

I've struggled, having been off work for 2 weeks, last week I came down with d&v and today I have a horrible headcold. We've had 1 day out so far and are going to my gps tomorrow. Other than that I've not really felt well enough to do anything constructive. The house could have done with a good clean, only bare minimum achieved and I'd planned some decorating. So far a wasted 2 weeks (half my holiday entitlement for the year). Not impressed.

craftysewer Thu 20-Feb-14 23:59:22

I think holidays like this half term are meant to be the type where kids get given an old sheet and a clothes maid and are encouraged to make forts and castles. It also means you get time for a brew

notanotherusername1 Wed 19-Feb-14 10:36:01

I still stick to the dog walking routine of a school day. Other than that there is nothing planned. I love the Feb half term for this reason. Children stay in bed and I get back from dog walk to have coffee and toast in peace. Then they blob around doing nothing and that's fine.

We have the Olympics on all day at the moment. The weather is rubbish.

Brilliant excuses to do nothing but lie down. smile

mrsjay Wed 19-Feb-14 10:28:35

yeah they are nice I was just being silly cos i cant bake the dds loved baking them but keep them till friday or later on if he is looking bored,

Trojanhouse Wed 19-Feb-14 10:28:30

I do absolutely sweet F.A in the half term holidays.
I love it. Just relax OP

Dollslikeyouandme Wed 19-Feb-14 10:27:21

That's what I've bought, a Tom and Jerry box of fairy cakes, I actually think they're quite nice.

HighBrows Wed 19-Feb-14 10:16:32

We've done nothing, my kids haven't been dressed since Monday. We were supposed to be packing for our house move in two weeks.

Today the girls are off to the gym. Then we'll make pizzas.

I love mid term, I love having the chance to kick back and do very little. Gives us all a much needed chance to recharge our batteries.

Kick back, relax and enjoy.

Stinklebell Wed 19-Feb-14 10:10:02

God no, especially not in the Feb half term. Nothing is open until Easter round here, the weather is shit, everywhere is a mud bath and none of us can really be bothered.

We've been to the cinema once and we're going bowling later in the week. That's about it

Generally, I've had a house full of my children's friends playing Minecraft

mrsjay Wed 19-Feb-14 10:07:46

oh god no althyough having a day out in the holidays is fine or baking or something is fine but not every minute of the holidays let him play with his cars he needs to unwind and relax too and also he is learning to amuse myself

when i say baking my baking was buying the packet with the little rice paper transfers grin

Dollslikeyouandme Wed 19-Feb-14 10:05:35

I guess you're right, ds is sat on the floor watching repeats of fireman Sam, playing with his Fireman Sam station and huge box of cars. He hasn't played with it for ages.

I always imagine other parents are spending their days doing marvellous activities.

Stinklebell Wed 19-Feb-14 09:55:54

I love the holidays, for the simple reason that I don't have to be up and about early and rushing around.

My house is a tip, my kids are still in bed and that's fine. I'm having a nice peaceful cup of tea while mooching around on the internet.

Kids will be up soon and will probably waste a few hours messing around in their pyjamas watching cartoons, it's their holiday, I don't feel that they need to be constructively occupied, they just want to chill a bit

mrsjay Wed 19-Feb-14 09:50:17

wait till he is a teen my dd thinks 8 am is the middle of the night when she was off

mrsjay Wed 19-Feb-14 09:49:42

but it is a holiday a break from doing Stuff and being busy it is ok not to do anything

CouthyMow Wed 19-Feb-14 09:46:47

confused But there's nothing wrong with that!

Dollslikeyouandme Wed 19-Feb-14 09:42:38

Glad you're enjoying your morning mushroomsoup, I agree it's nice to relax, I feel better if up and out early like I've achieved more, maybe I should change the way I think instead.

We get up really late in the holidays too though if I don't set my alarm, ds didn't get up till gone 8 today, and then he doesn't even attempt to wake me up he comes into bed with his ds so we didn't actually get up until 8.30, I've made the beds, put a wash on, made breakfast and I'm now having my coffee. This is the bit where I'm in danger of wasting the morning watching cartoons, messing around in our pyjamas playing hide and seek while I 'decide' what to do with the morning.

YouTheCat Wed 19-Feb-14 09:37:56

There is nothing wrong with taking time out to just be.

MushroomSoup Wed 19-Feb-14 09:31:30

I'm in my dressing gown drinking coffee and watching the Olympics. I have bad bed hair.
I usually leave the house at 7.15am so I'm more than happy to 'waste' my morning like this!!

Dollslikeyouandme Wed 19-Feb-14 09:13:27

For some reason when I don't have a definite plan I often end up doing nothing.

Dollslikeyouandme Wed 19-Feb-14 09:11:50

Guess you don't always have to be doing something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these martyr types who think I'm soooo much busier than everyone else.

Just the holidays always go so quickly don't they, I hate to feel to feel like times been wasted.

Like today, we are going to the cinema later, but I'm looking outside now thinking it's sunny for a change. Shall we have a ride down the park on the bikes, or shall I scrub the bathroom and sort out the old clothes for the charity shop as the drawers are overflowing.

Absolutelylost Wed 19-Feb-14 01:22:57

Don't be too hard on yourself; I struggle with the same and this half term have planned a few more things on advance. Nothing huge, but feel a lot happier with an outline plan.

craftysewer Wed 19-Feb-14 00:05:08

Do you have to do something? My children are 18 - 26 now and I can't remember filling every day with plans. Surely holidays are a time for relaxing and not having to plan every minute. It's nice to have a couple of days where you do something special, but as you say, your son has quite happily been playing with his toys. Maybe you should just give yourself permission to relax and take it easy this week.

Goofymum Wed 19-Feb-14 00:01:45

I think it's really importAnt to sometimes NOT get out of the house but to just relax, unwind and relax with the children. If you are naturally a busy person you have to plan that sort of day into your diary and not feel in the least bit guilty about it. Otherwise You'll just burn out or suddenly realise a few years on that you were so busy you forgot to just sit and watch and enjoy your DS.

Dollslikeyouandme Tue 18-Feb-14 22:39:20

Does anyone else find it difficult to just get out the house when off work during the school holidays?

Normally I'm rushing about on the go all the time, from the school run straight to work, then after school activities, getting everything ready for the next day.

I got out early yesterday as we were meeting friends.

Today has just been a complete write off, was planning a quiet day but a stroll up the high street, get some stuff to make pizzas and cakes, ended up doing nothing until ds club at 6.

It's as though if I don't have to be somewhere I'm crap at getting on.

I end up thinking too much about what we could do instead of just getting on and doing something.

On the plus side ds has had all his toys out that don't seem to get played with an awful lot, so perhaps we do too much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now