To not want to go to bloody buggering pirtsmouth?

(46 Posts)
AtYourCervix Tue 18-Feb-14 21:56:14

I have had the day from the pits of hell . Finally got home an hour late and bloody buggering D announces thst tomorrow is a buggering unuversity open day thing.

Arses.

AtYourCervix Wed 19-Feb-14 18:02:21

I'm back. Nice and easy to get to. Bit hungry now.

whatsonyourplate Wed 19-Feb-14 10:27:04

I went to Portsmouth 92-96. Never lived in halls, shared a flat in Southsea. Southsea shopping parade is nice to wander round ( or at least it used to be).

bobbywash Wed 19-Feb-14 10:18:52

Didn't go to open days with eith of my DD's they didn't want their parents there. Portsmouth is a good up and coming Uni, my DP lectures there. Many worse places to go.

I didn't even go to any open days let alone my parents go with me.
I went there for an interview on my own (early 80's)
My DDad did drive me there with my stuff for Freshers Week though ie. when I actually started Uni.
That doesn't mean I think it should be like that now though -
I think I might quite enjoy a few open days with DD AYC - don't stress about the finance side - I think you just have to look on it as a graduate tax, or a bit like taking out a mortgage?
But, I know, it is a worry.

I loved it too but it was 25 years ago.

OnBoytox Wed 19-Feb-14 09:55:46

I hope the OP managed to get to Portsmouth today.

I have a DS in his first year at Portsmouth University and he absolutely LOVES everything about it, unfortunately that includes the fabulous nightlife!

Portsmouth is a good Uni. I went there had a great time...!

5Foot5 Wed 19-Feb-14 08:31:40

To Essiebee and several others questioning why parents go to these - I thought exactly that until a few months ago. I went to Uni in 1980 and it never crossed mine or my parents mind that anyone but me should go.

When DD went to her first Open Day last summer I put her on the train to London by herself, determined not to be a helicopter Mum. When she came home she said she had been only one of about two prospective students who had gone alone. Subsequently we went to a UCAS evening at the school where we were told it is a very good idea for parents to go to as we are likely to ask the questions the students don't think to.

One or both of us have been with her to all subsequent ones and, indeed, it is very much the norm for parents to go along now and the Unis seem to expect it.

Actually I have quite enjoyed the experience but I have never had to travel all the way down to Portsmouth from here. DDs friend went last Saturday and they had to leave at 4amshock

Yes, I'm not that bothered about Gunwharf either, it's OK, but expensive (parking and restaurants etc, shops not so much as they are outlets) and a bit soulless. And that wind, brrr. I like wandering around Southsea and Old Portsmouth. The Mary Rose museum is brilliant since it reopened last year.

AtYourCervix Wed 19-Feb-14 08:24:22

I don't 'have' to go. She asked me to. It saves a long convoluted public transport journey. I may well drop her off and go for a mooch around the harbour if I can't face the money stuff. There's bugger all I can do about it now anyway.

Ilovegeorgeclooney Wed 19-Feb-14 08:22:10

Albert Rd has some lovely, quirky shops though.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 19-Feb-14 08:18:49

Funny how opinions differ - I don't like Gunwharf, it's very expensive to park, the shops are soulless and the wind whips through it.

Hazelbrowneyes Wed 19-Feb-14 08:06:05

I also live near Portsmouth grin

The uni is very good - I'm still gutted I turned down my place 10 years ago.

Gunwharf is lovely for a wander & the seafront is also pretty (on a clear, sunny day).

RedFocus Wed 19-Feb-14 08:02:30

I haven't been to Portsmouth for ages...might take the kids and do some touristy stuff...

SlightlyTerrified Wed 19-Feb-14 08:01:42

Yes the Uni is very good and at least she is going somewhere you can visit and is near some interesting places to see, if she was at Southampton it's grim (other than the fabulous shopping!)

DarlingGrace Wed 19-Feb-14 07:56:18

I've only ever heard good things about Portsmouth Uni

cory Wed 19-Feb-14 07:56:06

While it is common to accompany your children to university open days these days, it is by no means compulsory. There won't be a tannoy call of "who is in charge of this child" if you drop her at the door and quietly sneak off to see the Mary Rose or keep warm at the Sealife centre. wink
After all, your dd is supposed to cope with organising her studies, so maybe she could cope with organising enough information to give you at the end of the day?

SlightlyTerrified Wed 19-Feb-14 07:41:37

Agree with the others, Gunwharf and the dockyard are fab. See if you can sneak off at,some point. The actual city centre shopping is rubbish (and the dodgy housing estates near it) but the city and seafront itself is lovely.

The financial situation has changed a lot though; I can see why parents want to be involved in the decision.

MrsDavidBowie Wed 19-Feb-14 07:33:45

Yes I went to uni in 1978, just told my parents which one I was going to. No one's parents went to open days then.

Dd is yr 12 so us starting to look but she is quite half hearted..would much prefer to be told "you're going there" than traipse round endless in is.

LadyPenny Wed 19-Feb-14 00:27:05

The White Swan was the Mucky Duck iny student days.

The White swan was one of my regular hangouts in student days (25+ years ago). That and the Yorkshire Grey. Guildhall Walk was pretty quiet then, it was all little old man pubs in that area, it has changed a lot.

Joysmum Wed 19-Feb-14 00:12:19

Another vote for gunwharf, one of my fav places. Also have a yearly ticket for the dockyard and never get bored if going there either.

Mrsdavidcaruso Wed 19-Feb-14 00:08:17

Yeah Gunwharf is ace

SparklyPandora Wed 19-Feb-14 00:03:33

I live NEAR Portsmouth! It's ok, Gunwharf good suggestion! Generally makes you feel quite cheerful smile As for Uni, don't know, I went to Southampton. There really are worse places to be........ smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now