To really really want my own swimming pool

(80 Posts)
misspoirot Tue 18-Feb-14 20:54:31

No, I probably can't afford it but..... Maybe with some clever financial planning and if we sacrifice holidays, nights out, non-essential clothes, Chinese takeaways and all things frivolous..... It might be possible. Maybe I could start a neighbourhood swimming pool co-op?!

I've always wanted a swimming pool in the garden since I can remember, even better if it came in one of those log cabin type buildings! I just want to wake up and literally take a running jump...!

Does anyone know how much it costs to maintain a pool after the initial outlay of having one built?

misspoirot Tue 18-Feb-14 22:08:42

dojo ha I knew there had to be an upside to living on cabbage soup!

fannydabbydozey pool with a bar.... Never thought of that...

pixiepotter Tue 18-Feb-14 22:09:00

Making a pool is the thing that most detracts value from your property
pulgininorton.com/10-things-that-can-reduce-the-value-of-your-home/

Nicknacky Tue 18-Feb-14 22:09:42

I had one in a wooden outhouse. Cost a fucking fortune so didn't use it apart from the odd party....and oh god, the spiders!!!!

HicDraconis Tue 18-Feb-14 22:11:55

YANBU to want one but I'm not sure I would go for an outside pool in the uk unless you put a greenhouse over it with decent heat pump or solar panels. Indoor, absolutely.

The original plans for our house included an indoor pool - still regretting not building that version although when I costed it out, if we all swam every day for 30 years, it worked out at $90 per swim. Each smile was including the cost of that part of the build though (we still built the lower floor, it's just guest rooms / office / playroom now).

I may still put one in the garden but outdoor swimming in nz is an all season thing!

Philoslothy Tue 18-Feb-14 22:12:02

We don't ever plan on selling our house, it is our forever home that hopefully we be enjoyed by our children and grandchildren for decades to come .

I am sure that it would put off buyers although I am sure there are quite a few things about our house that would put off buyers, but it is our home and not an investment .

If you're in the UK it'll be much more cost effective to join a country club/ luxury health club. I'm often the only person in the pool at mine. I've never seen more than 3 people at a time in there

Philoslothy Tue 18-Feb-14 22:15:30

I do go to the gym because I like classes . However my husband and the children just use the pool and gym at home . With five children and more on the way we save a fair amount of money in fees . Of course it style costs us on top of that .

In the summer the outdoor pool is on constant use, even if each child only brings one friend it is well used.

Philoslothy Tue 18-Feb-14 22:16:00

Of course it still costs is on top of that.

Fannydabbydozey Tue 18-Feb-14 22:16:41

Philiolothy I too am horribly envious. I bet that is just bloody marvelous. I'd rarely be out of them.

misspoirot Tue 18-Feb-14 22:17:02

nicknacky I hate spiders but I also really want a pool so I'm going to pretend I never read that. In my head the sun is shining through my sun heated, cabin housed pool.

pixiepotter that explains why the houses for sale with pools are not as expensive as I would've expected.

capercaillie Tue 18-Feb-14 22:19:52

Alternatively, you could get a wad of cash and burn each note one by one.

Several neighbours have outdoor pools. It costs a serious amount of money to keep clean. Apparently, the pools have all overflowed over the last few weeks and are now full of mud etc.

We have a lovely gym 3 minutes drive down the road. I usually get a lane to myself. Someone else looks after it etc.

Electryone Tue 18-Feb-14 22:20:53

I dream about this, but alas I live in Scotland and cant afford it anyway! We make do with holidaying in France every year, somewhere with a private pool - its great!

Fannydabbydozey Tue 18-Feb-14 22:21:51

Misspoirot I know. It was the reason I moved to the complex. Several of my friends already lived there and one let me use her apartment one weekend. In a place where you needed an alcohol license and could normally only get drinks in hotels, the sheer bloody novelty of having a bar that served beer etc next to a pool mere seconds from your home was too much to resist. The second I could move I was in there.
God I'd love a swim now! Followed by a nice chilled beer. Mmmmm.

misspoirot Tue 18-Feb-14 22:24:50

I'm going to head to bed now and dream of my own pool, oh and the inflatables! Would definitely have inflatables!

Fannydabbydozey Tue 18-Feb-14 22:25:30

I do also fantasise about the time when the kids get fed up of the trampoline and I put a hot tub in its place. I dug a hole for the trampoline so it makes sense and I'll never do anything as mad as that again. Took four weeks and the amount of soil was terrifying. Plus I found a lot of bones

How much is a hot tub these days?

misspoirot Tue 18-Feb-14 22:29:27

fannydabbydozey I know I was about to head to bed but first I have to ask, was it one of those giant trampolines? If so, what did you do with all of the soil? Do you have a giant mole hill in your garden now?!

scurryfunge Tue 18-Feb-14 22:30:03

We had an outdoor pool at our last house. It cost us about the same in central heating to heat and then the chemicals to keep it clean. The cost wasn't too bad and it was used frequently. I miss the swimming and parties but don't miss the constant cleaning and maintainance.

Philoslothy Tue 18-Feb-14 22:30:21

You can get a hot tub from about £3k. They cost about £50 a month to run.

scurryfunge Tue 18-Feb-14 22:31:55

Oh, we got rid of the trampoline when DS used it to access the pool!

velvetspoon Tue 18-Feb-14 22:32:24

A house with a pool is something I've always wanted. Despite not being able to swim blush

Where I grew up in Essex, lots of people had pools. But most were tiny, and still took up the entire garden (think average 3 bed suburban semi garden...)

My college friend had a huge pool. But it was unheated, and had to be drained, sealed/repaired and painted every year. I believe it was filled in after they moved.

Philoslothy Tue 18-Feb-14 22:32:25

Ours do that too scurry !

scurryfunge Tue 18-Feb-14 22:41:35

Ha Philoslothy! I still have images if DS bouncing if the trampoline, slam dunking a basket ball and splashing in to the water all within a couple of seconds. (shudders).

scurryfunge Tue 18-Feb-14 22:42:11

*of

whois Tue 18-Feb-14 22:46:59

A friend has an indoor one, but with those fold back door things so one side nearly totally oped out in summer.

I think an indoor one is better for heating costs and you're more likely to use it ( think how much bad weather we get!)

HicDraconis Tue 18-Feb-14 22:49:09

I am moving the trampoline to make way for a hot tub. That was the deal we made when we decided the indoor pool was one step too far - DH promised me I'd have a spa in the garden smile of course now we're pouring a concrete patio for that he's decided he wants a pizza oven there too. Party Central smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now