McDonalds in the gym - any excuses?!

(30 Posts)
manicinsomniac Tue 18-Feb-14 18:37:38

I'm waiting for a class to start (yes, I could be warming up on a treadmill but I'm sat on my arse on mn, I admit that!) and there's a guy and his little kid sitting outside the spin studio eating a full Mcdonalds takeaway meal.

I'm trying to think of a valid excuse for such poor etiquette and un-gym like behaviour but failing miserably. Anybody got one? Maybe they're waiting for someone to come out of a class but the smell is horrendous - surely they could have dinner somewhere more appropriate.

There are bigger problems in the world, it's not the crime of the century, I do have other things to think about, I should remove my judgey pants etc etc ... but all that beind said, AIBU to think that a gym should be free of smelly, greasy fast food?

(especially when it is McDonalds which hardly qualifies as food and should be removed from the world at large - just in my totally unbiased, food phobic opinion that is! wink And of course, the general public should pander to my every whim grin)

winterlace Tue 18-Feb-14 18:38:46

I love mcdonalds grin

our gym sells chips, hotdogs, nuggets, etc!

LessMissAbs Tue 18-Feb-14 18:40:16

Ugh you have my sympathies - someone sat opposite me on the train the other week eating MacDonalds fries and the smell was indescribable. What a pity the young child is being introduced to such eating habits so young.

Fantissue Tue 18-Feb-14 18:40:46

Did they force it down your throat? Did they throw chips at you while you were on the treadmill? No? Then mind your own business.

Do you think no one has ever come to the gym having taken steroids? That's not healthy too. Does no one there over exercise or have an eating disorder? Not healthy too.

WaitMonkey Tue 18-Feb-14 18:40:59

A person with Cystic Fibrosis is recommended fatty food's such as a McDonalds.

manicinsomniac Tue 18-Feb-14 18:47:19

Fantissue the healthiness of Mcdonalds food doesn't really concern me at all (beyond thinking it's rather ironic in a gym) as it doesn't affect my health. What I'm whining about is the greasy, stale-ish kind of smell that can only ever mean Mcdonalds is in the vicinity. Hot food in the gym - really ok? It isn't a restaurant!

ilovepowerhoop shock okay, you win.

Waitmonkey - interesting idea. Always a possibility - though if that's the case they could eat fatty inoffensive smelling food such as a mars bar inside the gym or McDonalds outside the gym in a place meant for eating it.

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 18-Feb-14 18:47:37

There is a McDonalds next to my gym. At the cross trainers you can see people pulling into the drive in and at the counter.

The smell is heavenly.

I find it motivating - it spurs me to go a bit harder and get another elliptic km out. grin

I have, in the past planned to get a milkshake, and burn the extra calories off in advance. But when I realize the effort it takes I can't be bothered to buy one and consume it for a few minutes pleasure.

I don't like the idea of anyone eating at the gym though - even salad and juice. Why make a day of it? Just go in, get sweaty and go home.

Fantissue Tue 18-Feb-14 18:49:30

So the smell is the issue, right, I see? Is it stopping you from smelling the beautiful sweaty smells of the gym?

There are smells everywhere and you're not going to like all of them - the gym is a public place so get over it.

I bet you don't smell too great yourself when you're at the gym.

Fantissue Tue 18-Feb-14 18:51:56

I agree WallyBantersJunkBox - so many people seem to go for a day out now! Best way is to get in, burn the calories and get back out and live your life!

manicinsomniac Tue 18-Feb-14 18:54:25

I don't know what you're talking about, I am a miraculous sweat free zone and always smell of roses wink

I think you might have missed the lighthearted tone of this thread (or else I'm a worse writer than I thought and manage to come across as genuinely outraged!)

Anyway, class time. I can leave the hideous smell waves that are blowing calories into my blood stream by osmosis safely behind!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Tue 18-Feb-14 18:57:16

YANBU, y'know, I am pulling my judgey pants right up to wedgie level to say sometimes I wonder why people cannot wait to eat, ok yes there are many plausible reasons why you would eat 'dinner' at the gym rather than waiting to get home, but generally speaking we seem to be turning into a nation of people who cannot go 5 mins without a meal or a snack of some sort, I give you the burger bar trailers in B&Q car park, I mean just how hungry do you get popping out for a tin of paint or a new doorknob confused

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 18-Feb-14 19:02:28

Yes I think I'd rather smell fries than a sweaty jockstrap!

Quite off putting to eat with that smell around.....

The men in my gym are always dripping wet. It's a serious gym, but they don't diss the Wobblies like me.

They only sell Power Bars at the vending machine. I think they have more calories than a big Mac. shock

Laquitar Tue 18-Feb-14 19:04:30

I read the title and i thought that the gym has sold space to mcdonalds and they opened a small branch IN the gym.
You can tell i haven't been into a gym for ages.

MrsMook Tue 18-Feb-14 19:17:49

DS has McDonalds as it's allergy friendly and one of the few options we have for food on the go. Sometimes it's the only way to fit food in at a sensible time.

Southeastdweller Tue 18-Feb-14 19:20:31

Very weird. I saw someone at the gym working out and eating crisps the other day (first time in 20 years of using gyms that I'd seen someone eating there) but McDonalds is something else. I just don't get it.

sallysparrow157 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:05:29

I've seen someone go outside for a fag break in the middle of a workout before now. McDonalds has got to be a better smell than cigarette smoke!

DustyBaubles Tue 18-Feb-14 20:09:34

Plenty of people only go to the gym so that they can burn off the McDonalds.

So why not advertise their 'look, this is what I get in return for my hard slog' credentials?

Eat crap - burn it off. Sounds good to me grin

manicinsomniac Tue 18-Feb-14 22:08:03

Actually dusty, that's a pretty good point!

timetopost Tue 18-Feb-14 22:18:57

this reminded me of the lady who sat eating a chunky kit kat during a slimming world meeting. Don't get me wrong, I love kit kat's as much as the next person, but surely it can't be right ( at least there were no food smells) grin)

KidLorneRoll Tue 18-Feb-14 22:56:09

YANBU. I'd be mighty pissed off.

c4ss3y Wed 19-Feb-14 00:23:30

YABU. Nobody forcing you to eat it.

AgaPanthers Wed 19-Feb-14 00:35:35

YABU, poor bloke is probably waiting for someone and hungry.

McDonalds isn't even that hungry.

WorraLiberty Wed 19-Feb-14 00:46:13

What a pity the young child is being introduced to such eating habits so young.

You mean possibly being taught that everything in moderation as part of a healthy diet is ok, if that's what you fancy?

That's not a pity at all, it's very sensible (if it's indeed the case).

JapaneseMargaret Wed 19-Feb-14 00:47:39

The issue is, that people who like and eat McDonalds think the smell is heavenly, so you're never going to get them empathising with your point of view.

They just don't get you. Don't see the issue at all. Wouldn't be able to see the issue if you put it on a banner and fashioned a giant pointy finger to jab directly at it.

So not much you can do but sigh and make your peace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now