To not want to be referred to as 'The girls'

(29 Posts)
Pollyputthekettle Tue 18-Feb-14 08:53:36

I work in a team of women where we all do the same job and have to work together. There are 4 of us in this team. Then there are 7 other people (men and women) who are part of the overall team but not a team within themselves.

My boss (male) keeps referring to us (the 4 that work together) as 'The girls' in team meetings etc. It makes my teeth itch. I want to ask him to stop as I find it patronising.

AIBU?

NotBrittaPieHonest Tue 18-Feb-14 10:03:32

In the second scenario, that includes me and my two sisters (adults) and my two daughters (children) btw

Bingbongbinglybunglyboo Tue 18-Feb-14 10:10:54

Yanbu, it implies you are viewed as a child, not even an adult because you are female. It is infuriating. I have noticed it in broadcasting and the media, especially sports reporting. Although I may have faint memories of a couple of people being pulled up on it.

daphnehoneybutt Tue 18-Feb-14 10:18:58

*Next time he says "Ask the girls"
Pipe up with "Which one? Or don't you know our names?*

This!

Oh, I was once a rather rude employee to a delivery man who made the so-innocent mistake of telling us 'thanks girls' to mean my two female colleagues and I, average age is approx 30. "We are not girls", said I. "It's women."
he grinned, I felt childish and crusaderish at the same time, it wasn't quite a glorious moment but we've had a different delivery man for a while now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now