to think if you live in surrey sussex kent, home counties i spose and you work in the city

(211 Posts)
LucyLasticBand Tue 18-Feb-14 08:29:00

you shouldnt complain about the trains!
you want the best of both worlds.

AfricanExport Tue 18-Feb-14 08:55:08

Yay! Snowbells.

Let's do that smile

NewBlueCoat Tue 18-Feb-14 08:56:51

We live on a commuter route. A supposedly very good one, just 30 mins into London.

Dh pays a fortune (to the point of needing a loan each year) for his rail ticket. And usually doesn't get a seat - the trains are far too small for the numbers of people wanting To use them. And the car parks are too small at the stations (and also extortionate).

So, dh pays a huge amount for a shitty service (to the point of non existent, tbh). An we pay quite a whack on re mortgage for the privilege of living near such a good commute hmm hmm

It really is the best of both worlds - shafted all round.

Bowlersarm Tue 18-Feb-14 08:57:31

Op - just explain again what you think a nimby has to do with complaints about the cost of commuting?

Your posts make little/no sense.

WowserBowser Tue 18-Feb-14 09:00:10

Are you just trying to wind people up? I live in the North and walk to work so this doesn't involve me at all - but i would hope every had a nice, easy journey to work.

natwebb79 Tue 18-Feb-14 09:00:53

Blimey, time to brush that bag of spuds off your shoulder OP grin

LucyLasticBand Tue 18-Feb-14 09:01:08

honestly i am not trying to wind people up, but i can see that i have - pehraps i shouldnt have been so opinionated. but it is my opinion.

MajorGrinch Tue 18-Feb-14 09:01:17

Have a look at how disproportionate the rail fare rises are in relation to everything else. I'd be pissed off if I was paying between 4 & 6k to ^stand ^on a sodding train.

On the other hand though OP, without all these commuters living there & spending money in these places, they'd just be fruit & veg picking communities & all jobs would be based around that - like all the towns in these places that aren't on the main transport links.

How have these poor folk trying to earn a decent living offended you today anyway OP?

LucyLasticBand Tue 18-Feb-14 09:01:40

these spuds are heavy though indeed and i am fed up with wearing wellies.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 18-Feb-14 09:02:30

OP, get this thread deleted.

It is wasting people's time who are trying to find the sense in it where there is none.

LucyLasticBand Tue 18-Feb-14 09:02:31

the folks on the news always complaining about the trains thats what did it!
we have had extraordinary weather and they complain about the trains. !

LucyLasticBand Tue 18-Feb-14 09:02:57

why on earth should this thread be deleted.
it doesnt even mention sex!

hiccupgirl Tue 18-Feb-14 09:04:35

Not everyone who works in the city of London earns loads you know. I spent 8 yrs doing admin jobs there and only in the last one did I earn more than my DH who was a teacher at the time. There was no way we could have afforded to live closer in to London plus his job was in the local community where we worked.

And yes, why can't you complain when the trains cost a fortune, there's never a seat and they're unreliable?

Presumably as well the 'incomers' must use some local services and probably have families that will go to the local schools etc.

TobyLerone Tue 18-Feb-14 09:06:29

How ridiculous. YAobviouslyBU.

OP, sometimes when everyone disagrees with you, it's not because you've 'struck a cHord' (I think you meant that most irritating of MN standbys 'hit a nerve'), nor is it because you're 'so opinionated'.
It's because you are wrong.

DoctorDonnaNoble Tue 18-Feb-14 09:06:41

Well actually, it's been both. And the weather's calmed down today. Dawlish (a commuter station for Exeter, you could say!) was an excellent example of this.
The customer satisfaction data has just come out. Therefore it is news.

LucyLasticBand Tue 18-Feb-14 09:07:32

come on, i am not entirely wrong.

Joysmum Tue 18-Feb-14 09:07:56

I think it's perfectly acceptable to complain if you pay for a service that is lacking.

ilovesooty Tue 18-Feb-14 09:08:48

What a peculiar thread. I can't understand what the OP is on about other than some strange rampant jealousy of those she perceives to be privileged in some way.

OP your opinion in this instance is, I'm afraid, complete bollocks. You are either on a wind up, work for one of these shitty train companies or are incredibly dimwitted, I can't quite fathom which it is.

Please explain why you think people should not complain when they pay thousands of pounds a year for services that are frequentlyu delayed and cancelled, amking them late for work/appointments etc? It is also not often true that it is cheaper living in the home counties, there is most definitely a 'commuter belt' mark up on the homes in these areas, so in reality commuters get hit double whammy.

We ahve the highest train fares in Europe, plenty of season tickets now exceed the �4K per year price, for that amount of money, the service should be absolutely sterling.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 18-Feb-14 09:10:11

YABU

If people have paid huge money for a season ticket then of course they expect the trains to be running!

HarpyFishwifeTwat Tue 18-Feb-14 09:11:22

Oh OP. You're mistaking being opinionated for being a time-wasting, argumentative knob.

LucyLasticBand Tue 18-Feb-14 09:12:15

eek, it is my opinion

grumpyoldbat Tue 18-Feb-14 09:14:05

YABVU. Commuters pay an absolute fortune. They have a right to expect a decent service in return. They should get what they pay for.

Houses are really expensive in Surrey too. I wouldn't consider it cheap housing.

Also I'm sure commuters do use local services. If you were speaking about owners of holiday homes not using local services then you'd probably have a point but you're not.

AfricanExport Tue 18-Feb-14 09:16:14

Lucy.

I live in South London where many homes have been evacuated due to the flooding. They live in the Valley, I live on the Hill. I think people would think me terribly unreasonable to say 'AIBU to think people who live in valleys and known flood plains should expect to be flooded and therefore shouldn't complain'

That wouldn't go down well.. Would it?

And no, I am not saying that. It's an example.

It may be your opinion, but you have not explained or put forth a well reasoned argument as to why this is your opinion or why you feel it is a valid one.

Is this only confined to those that live outside London and commute into the city or does it stretch to the rest of the country?

Train fares are expensive the service is shit, in fact most public transport is expensive and shit, are we not allowed to complain?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now