To be Specific....

(183 Posts)
Gossipmonster Mon 17-Feb-14 20:22:40

One of admin lady at work's favourite words is "specific" thing is she says "pacific" Every. Fucking. Time.

Another colleague (degree educated) says "she/he done" instead of "did".

I just want to scream - but feel like it's so petty I couldn't possibly say anything.

Anyone else? smile

bumbleymummy Mon 17-Feb-14 22:13:24

Draw instead of drawer. I've even seen that on furniture websites. 'Chest of draws'

iklboo Mon 17-Feb-14 22:13:46

'I won him at paintball'. That's nice, dear. Shall we put him on the mantelpiece.

I have a colleague who says 'kekkle', 'Draklia' (Dracula), cackalog (catalogue) and 'chimley / chimbley'. angryangryangry

PiperRose Mon 17-Feb-14 22:14:17

"Expresso" aarrrrghhhhhhhh!

PiperRose Mon 17-Feb-14 22:15:53

Oh, and mixing up 'lend' and 'borrow', it drives me insane.

pandarific Mon 17-Feb-14 22:16:10

Oh god 'Chest of draws' - raaaaaage.

PiperRose Mon 17-Feb-14 22:23:49

pictish may I commend you on excellent use of the word 'clout'

pictish Mon 17-Feb-14 22:32:22

You may...and thank you.

PiperRose Mon 17-Feb-14 22:34:28

Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Gossipmonster Mon 17-Feb-14 22:37:05

I wonder what she says when talking about the ocean - dies she actually think it's Pacific?

ARGH totally over thinking this!!

Gossipmonster Mon 17-Feb-14 22:37:27

Does opps blush

LadyMud Mon 17-Feb-14 22:47:17

Some of the examples given above are African American English
(aks/asks, pacific/specific) so it's probably not politically correct to object hmm

PiperRose Mon 17-Feb-14 22:51:24

I'm inclined to agree with you about aks/ask but Pacific? Really?

Abbierhodes Mon 17-Feb-14 22:52:42

African American English???? Is that some kind of oxymoron?

MrsDeVere Mon 17-Feb-14 22:58:19

One of my colleagues says illegible instead of eligible
It comes up a lot in our work.

Pacific isn't african american.
Nor is arks/arsk.

Arks/arsk/axe is common in West Indian dialects.

But my DCs are not allowed to use it and nor was their dad when he was a kid. He had to use correct pronouciation. So I suppose his elderly West Indian mother was being politically incorrect hmm

MrsDeVere Mon 17-Feb-14 22:58:37

pronunciation

deakymom Mon 17-Feb-14 23:02:20

my husband does this and one time i actually shouted OH DEAR GOD ITS SPECIFIC!!! im usually a nice person but for some reason it makes me scream!!

2014ThisIsMyYear Mon 17-Feb-14 23:05:05

Colleague says "relative" when she means "relevant". She probably wonders why I'm muttering under my breath ...

MIL says "Optober". No idea why.

PiperRose - love it!

waterlego Mon 17-Feb-14 23:07:51

Today on FB, I saw 'encouragable' in place of incorrigible. Grrrrr.

CJCregg Mon 17-Feb-14 23:10:02

What drives me completely round the fucking twist is people on FB saying 'I'll inbox you.'

It's become part of the culture and everyone says it now. But INBOX ISN'T A VERB.

<paperbag, paperbag, paperbag>

waterlego Mon 17-Feb-14 23:10:32

bumbley I have seen 'Chester draws' shock

CJCregg Mon 17-Feb-14 23:12:55

Yes, yes, I too have seen 'Chester draws' - my old landlady put it on the inventory grin

<stab>

Pipbin Mon 17-Feb-14 23:15:57

I mentioned in the staffroom the other day the shocking number of people who don't know that bought and brought were two different words. About 5 people said that they had no idea they were different either.

I have seen a 'chester draws' advertised.

GeordieJellybean Mon 17-Feb-14 23:16:33

Troseys.

The word is trousers. TROUSERS!

StrawberryCheese Mon 17-Feb-14 23:17:17

I know someone who is always talking about her wonderful farther on FB. If you can't spell it, just write 'dad' fgs!

I work with someone who frequently sends me emails requesting things by saying 'gonnae send me...' I appreciate that I am in Scotland and he is Scottish and I can cope (just) with people saying this out loud, but writing it in an email gives me the rage!

takingthathometomomma Mon 17-Feb-14 23:18:58

Ahh CJ I'll have to disagree with you there! I looked at a study a few years ago at the British Library (I think? May have just been a bog standard uni lecture) that focused on language development and how nouns are now being used a verbs. It will certainly upset the linguistic prescriptivists out there but as a badge-wearing descriptivist I love to see the changes in language! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now