Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

It's a 'Strategy' it is not 'Strategies'

(56 Posts)
IamRechargingthankYou Mon 17-Feb-14 19:04:57

After years of hearing this incredible misuse of the English language I now stand firm. We as parents do not use 'strategies' in the home to deal with dc (or anything else in fact). What we use are a series of actions (coherent or correct may be up for question, or not) within in the/a overarching strategy that we operate (coherent, correct or not, etc.). What we do not use, and neither do you, irrespective of your role as a professional or innocent bystander that you are or might or might not be is - flipping strategies! It's called 'A STRATEGY' if you have to give it a name!'

Bowlersarm Mon 17-Feb-14 19:06:37

Are you sure you are correct?

WorraLiberty Mon 17-Feb-14 19:08:50

Well aren't you a bundle of laughs OP? grin

That's us well and truly told...

SlightlyTerrified Mon 17-Feb-14 19:09:05

strategies is the plural for strategy, I have no idea what you are talking about?!

I have double checked in the dictionary!

IamRechargingthankYou Mon 17-Feb-14 19:09:26

Yes - but the term is so embedded that it trips off the tongue without thinking. Look it up.

TheGreatHunt Mon 17-Feb-14 19:10:55

Pedant's corner is ---> that way

Greythorne Mon 17-Feb-14 19:12:43

What if the first strategy fails so you move to a plan B (completely different) strategy. Surely you have used two strategies?

Bowlersarm Mon 17-Feb-14 19:16:18

If strategies is a word we can look up in the dictionary and prove it exists - what exactly are you going on about?

Why can't I use strategies to deal with my DC in my home?

MaidOfStars Mon 17-Feb-14 19:16:30

If you have a strategy for dealing with sweetie grabs and a strategy for dealing with bedtime tantrums, do you not then have 'strategies'?

IamRechargingthankYou Mon 17-Feb-14 19:16:52

Yes - but what is a strategy but a series of actions?

Not bothered if you don't find it a 'bundle of laughs', I wouldn't have posted in the flamebox otherwise now would I? Pretty sure that comes under strategy not strategies don't you?

Also posted here because it's something that actually really pisses me off, and that's it really.

GiniCooper Mon 17-Feb-14 19:16:53

Do mean strategise because you're not making sense.

cardibach Mon 17-Feb-14 19:17:25

Strategies is a perfectly legitimate word. To what usage of it do you object, OP? Give an example.

MrsSippy Mon 17-Feb-14 19:19:07

many tactics form a strategy, but you may use a range of strategies to achieve an objective

Bowlersarm Mon 17-Feb-14 19:19:17

You just seem to be plain wrong, OP. Go on, admit it.

I am certain I can have strategies in place to deal with my DC in my home.

anothernumberone Mon 17-Feb-14 19:22:29

OP a series of actions implies to me a series of linked action do if you decide to change direction then you are changing strategies. So many parents actually do adopt a variety of strategies with their children. It is a little sad that this has bothered you for so long and posting it years ago would have cleared up your misunderstanding. Next time change strategy and ask sooner wink.

anothernumberone Mon 17-Feb-14 19:23:21

Do = so, grrr phone.

IamRechargingthankYou Mon 17-Feb-14 19:24:51

As far as sweetie- thingies for this and that - they are all part of the actions that you take within a strategy.

Maybe best go back to the roots of the word - haven't heard yet of chessmasters and generals winning (or losing) with anything other than a strategy.

But the new usage comes from academics and the public sector who unwittingly ally themselves with the 'frontline' and try and adopt similar 'martial' terms.

It's still a strategy and not 'strategies' and until someone can really explain it better why it should be otherwise, I'm sticking to it.

That's my 'strategy'.

TSSDNCOP Mon 17-Feb-14 19:26:41

Don't you have a strategy and a series of tactics to acheive it.

grin

Bowlersarm Mon 17-Feb-14 19:27:54

Now you're just making yourself look silly.

Balaboosta Mon 17-Feb-14 19:29:04

Oooh please OP can't I have more than one strategy? Pleeeeeeze?

Balaboosta Mon 17-Feb-14 19:29:42

One for each child at least?

WorraLiberty Mon 17-Feb-14 19:31:19

Not bothered if you don't find it a 'bundle of laughs', I wouldn't have posted in the flamebox otherwise now would I? Pretty sure that comes under strategy not strategies don't you?

Is 'flamebox' a real word?

Balaboosta Mon 17-Feb-14 19:31:27

One to wash and one to wear?

I agree with Greythorne.

Koothrapanties Mon 17-Feb-14 19:38:22

What if you have two different strategies?

You couldn't say "I have two different a strategy."

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now