to get bored with ds going on and ON about football??

(48 Posts)
CocktailQueen Mon 17-Feb-14 18:50:09

He is 6.

He is obsessed with football - playing it, watching it, reading about it, collecting Match Attax endlessly.

This is all fine up to a point - but all his conversation is about football now! He wakes up in the morning talking about it and goes to bed the same. He turns the conversation back to football. He just wants to read football books at bedtime. I'm BORED of bloody football.

I want my lovely little boy back, who was interested in everything - park, playing, playmobil, animals, wildlife - not just kicking a sodding ball round a pitch.

If he's not playing football at home -we've banned him from playing with a ball in the house -he's too strong - he's kicking a balloon around. All. The. Time.

AIBU to be bored and to encourage him to do other things than football? This week he's playing football all day Weds, tomorrow afternoon, and has a playdate with a friend when they will play. I want to do other things!! Am so sad, as I am not enjoying spending time with him at the moment.

Any suggestions? And AIBU??

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Tue 18-Feb-14 15:25:22

Ah, yes the Mythbusters obsession Martorana - ds1 is guilty of that one. I rue the day he found it on Netflix.

Martorana Tue 18-Feb-14 11:18:24

Don't worry, it doesn't last forever. Mine is 12 now, and still plays football loads, but doesn't talk about it any more.

he now talks about stand up comedy, the Arctic Monkeys, basketball and Mythbusters

EggInABap Tue 18-Feb-14 09:38:14

I am reading about my own life here! DS1 is 6 and trains Tues evenings and Sat mornings, then plays Sun mornings. DS2 who is 4 is too young to play for the team but loves watching them. Our whole life seems to revolve around football!

They will now kick ANYTHING around the house pretending it's a ball (as I've confiscated all of them)-teddy bears, pillows, rolled up socks, you name it. They are unstoppable.

Match of the day is on series link, they watch it after school as well as any other games recorded (yes DS1 will go through the sky planner and record historical games from the 90's). When they open their eyes the first question they ask is what was the score last night?

I wish I could blame DH, but although he is equally as obsessed with football and has always played, he's never pushed it on to them. I blame those sodding Match Attack cards, that seems to be when the obsession started!

It does drive me mad most of the time BUT I love that they have a hobby that keeps them fit and active and I take make them do karate and swimming lessons too so that at least there is variety. Just means our life is chaos keeping up with all these timetables but I'd rather that than them sat in playing computer all the time.

Martorana Tue 18-Feb-14 09:28:54

I still remember being stuck in a traffic jam for 5 hours with ds at the height of his football obsession. I have flashbacks about it.........

cory Tue 18-Feb-14 09:22:19

I don't think it's specifically a boy thing. Dd's obsession with the theatre is pretty relentless and she is a 17yo girl. Fortunately I rather enjoy the theatre.

Ds loves football but is not as totally in-your-face obsessive.

Sometimes I tell her to ease off.

But it has also occurred to me that our children grow up in the household we make for them, with our interests and our priorities, and nobody asks how bored they get with that.

I loved my parents' total obsession with books and history and classical music, but it must have been pretty grim for my brothers who didn't share these interests: they dominated every conversation, all holidays were geared towards them and any leftover money was spent on them. I don't think my parents ever stopped to say "these are interests we happen to have, they could just as well be something else". To them it was normality, this is the natural thing to do, these were "worthwhile pursuits".

I try to rein it in, but I suspect from ds' pov the dinner table conversations between me and dh and dd do come across as pretty narrowly obsessive.

lljkk Tue 18-Feb-14 09:10:34

See, I am actually jealous. I wish that my boys had a productive passion that would keep them fit and ambitious, something that promoted teamwork and feeling part of a community.

I know the dull thing, but it's usually not that hard to steer the conversation in other directions too.

VelvetStrider Tue 18-Feb-14 08:46:41

sadbodyblue not controlling at all, no. hmm

If either of my children want to play football that's fine, I'd happily engage in conversation about games they've played. But the OP was talking about constant, unrelenting conversation about football all day, every day, to the exclusion of all other topics. That's not healthy and her DS needs to know, bluntly if that's what it takes, that the OP does not want to listen to an endless stream of nonsense about football, and have all her conversations with her son twisted into a topic she finds extremely boring. She just wants her boy back!

singaporefling Mon 17-Feb-14 22:50:13

Wouldn't it be amazing (in the case of my DS15 certainly) if just a fraction of the knowledge/time spent 'studying' fixtures/discussing strategies/sticking cards into albums/enthusiasm could be applied to schoolwork grin... Although at his age I was equally obssessed with Donny Osmond (shuffling away on zimmerblush)

Jen99 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:49:13

Loving this thread. Thought ds1who is 6 was the only one like this. His knowledge of football for a 6 year old is unbelievable. He knows players, managers, football stadium names and can remember football games from several years ago. Saturday mornings are spent writing out his predictions for the weekend. His highlight of the weekend (when not playing football) is watching results come through on sky sports news.
Thankfully ds2 showing no signs of any interest yet

It does make birthdays and Christmas quite hard to buy forward as he doesn't really like toys and hasn't for some time. Sounds like they would all get on really well!

CocktailQueen Mon 17-Feb-14 22:35:53

Oh, dear lord! I can see the next 20 years flash in front of me!

sadbodyblue Mon 17-Feb-14 22:29:49

ds2 is 23 and yes get the fantasy football too.

jellybeans Mon 17-Feb-14 22:26:42

I have one DS like this (other two DSs including his twin love Lego and Minecraft) and it does grate as he constantly flicks sky sports or radio on and checks scores! His Dad does encourage it but it is nice really in a way that he is into something.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Mon 17-Feb-14 22:12:18

Does anyone else get the little strips of paper everywhere with fantasy football lists, numbers, transfer possibilities, international fixtures......

Skivvywoman Mon 17-Feb-14 22:09:05

I know where your coming from ds1 is 18 and started playing club football at 4 and ds2 is 15 and was the same!

They train 2 nights each one plays a Saturday the other a Sunday and ds2 plays for the school on a Friday and trains one day after school too,

so for the last 14 years it's been all about football, strips,cards,boots,shin guards,season tickets you name it we've done it

And every night there is a game on tv it's on in here

So get used to it you got a long way to go wink

Lucyccfc Mon 17-Feb-14 22:07:59

Funny thread - welcome to my world.

My DS is nearly 9 and we have had this since he could talk. It's non stop from the minute he wakes up to when he goes to bed. He plays for a team, so we have training Weds and Thurs and matches on a Saturday. He has a season ticket, so I get the honour of driving him back and forth to the Etihad. I spend my life sat outside that ground waiting for him. Our holidays revolve around football. Brazil last year to watch England and Miami this year to watch them.

I get tested constantly on players, clubs, managers and scores and in between all that it's football on Sky or BT Sport or the bloody XBox with FIFA.

I can't blame anyone else but myself and the ex-H - we actually met at a football match, had my hen do watching football and got married in a football stadium - However - I hear that much of it from DS that I actually don't like football anymore. He has well and truly turned me off it.

Good luck Ladies, it can last a lifetime.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Mon 17-Feb-14 22:02:09

Oh dear, I could have written this about Statto ds2. Obsessed. I'm woken every Sunday morning by the MOTD theme tune blaring from the living room, and then the talking/questions/discussions start.

At one point we had a brief reprieve. He became almost aggressively interested in Dr Who. But it was just a reprieve...within a week or so he was back to football with a vengeance. I now have to listen to endless discussion of not only the Premiership, but now......<shudders> the Bundesliga. He knows all the teams and all the players. It's frankly terrifying.

Ds1 and ds3 have no interest. Poor ds1 has been known to come out of the room ds2 is in almost in tears of frustration, complaining "I can't stand it Mum." I know how he feels.

hermionepotter Mon 17-Feb-14 21:58:29

I'd have thought it'd make christmas easier - football strip, new boots, footballs, calendar, books, duvet cover etc etc

singaporefling Mon 17-Feb-14 21:57:37

liege that's so funny, my DS drove me crazy asking the same things so i said 'ooooh Arsenal' he then drove me crazy asking me questions about bloody Arsenal and showing me pictures of the team etc! Then Jose Mourinho came back to Chelsea so i said I'd changed teams as I preferred the manager blush so he now shows me pictures of Jose all the time and tells me when he's on TV etc...smile Making the best of the situation I suppose...

comingoutofmycage Mon 17-Feb-14 21:55:39

OP i could have written exactly the same as you except my DS is 7.

As soon as he wakes in the morning sky sports is on. My sky box is full of football matches or shows about football that he has watched over and over again.

Ask him what he has done in school today...he replies with how many goals he scored at lunchtime.

Lives in his many football kits, has a calender in his room where he will cross of the days until the next match (season ticket holders).

We have also banned all balls/balloons from the house, but can guarantee that he will find something else to use. At the moment he is using a soft toy dice hmm .

I love football, but he takes it to the extreme...his knowledge of the game is unbelievable at such a young age .

Makes christmas/birthdays extremely hard as i never know what to get him because hes not into anything else and doesn't play with toys.

hermionepotter Mon 17-Feb-14 21:39:10

YABU I try to talk to my ds about football but he gets a bit bored grin

morethanpotatoprints Mon 17-Feb-14 21:39:05

OP

He'll be talking none stop about girls soon enough.

aderynlas Mon 17-Feb-14 21:36:54

My valentine day present is my season ticket.

sandyballs Mon 17-Feb-14 21:00:49

Same here but mine are 13 year old girls. One is currently playing fifa on Xbox. They both play for a local team.

LiegeAndLief Mon 17-Feb-14 20:55:27

Oh, and he loves having conversations that go:

What's your favourite football team?

Oh, I don't know really love, I'm not that into football.

Oh come on mum! You must have one! Go on, just pick one!

Ok, erm, Manchester City.

No! No not them! They're rubbish! Your favourite team is probably Chelsea.

Ok. My favourite team is Chelsea.

Great! What's your second favourite team?

<hacks at wrists with butter knife>

LiegeAndLief Mon 17-Feb-14 20:51:47

Oh god this is my ds (except he's 7). He has memorised sections of commentary and walks round the house endless commentating on real or imaginary matches. He makes up tournaments and then insists on reading all the endless scores to me... I have been known to answer "not really, love" cheerfully when he asks whether I'm listening. Even dh is bored now.

On Boxing Day I found myself reading about the rise of professionalism in football in 1887 for a bedtime story.

Thank god I have another child who so far isn't really obsessed with anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now