Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask how you get out of a bad mood.

(49 Posts)
HadABadDay2014 Mon 17-Feb-14 18:49:14

Been I a rotten mood for a while now, I am not sure if it's this constant rain. The DC playing up because we have run out of rainy day activities or the fact the house is always a tip.

I just feel like I am always in a bad mood.

LizzieVereker Mon 17-Feb-14 23:19:54

Fresh air. Stompy walk usually works.

YY to being mindful of blood sugar - often a snack helps.

A bit of hard work, either "work work" or housework.

Give myself a talking to, count blessings etc.

(don't do all of these at once, I just find it helps to have a range of ideas, I am a grumpy caaahh at times)

Punkatheart Tue 18-Feb-14 09:40:00

me too, Lizzie..intelligent folk often are, you know. All those thoughts...

fieldfare Tue 18-Feb-14 09:44:20

A good stomp across the fields with the hound helps me no end. Or sticking some good music on and cleaning the house like a dervish so it's all lovely and sweet smelling so I can relax in it. Then a cup of tea, a chocolate biscuit and a book.
Although, the other day dd and I printed off some mandala to colour in and that was a very relaxing hour!

usuallyright Tue 18-Feb-14 09:50:54

a really long walk is the best thing. I firmly believe that a long walk (about an hour) is the quickest way to improve your mental health.

dotty2 Tue 18-Feb-14 09:57:42

Agree with lots of the above. Something I do if the house being such a mess is getting me down is to do a family tidy up. Everyone has to help, set the kitchen timer for 10 minutes and blitz it. You can make quite a big difference and the timer makes it (relatively speaking) fun.

May09Bump Tue 18-Feb-14 10:03:19

Walk even in the rain, then coffee shop, then kids film to get a boit of sanity back.

Topaz25 Tue 18-Feb-14 10:32:40

I put happy, upbeat music on and have something to eat because I feel cranky if I don't eat regularly enough. Sometimes going out for walk in the fresh air can help too.

HadABadDay2014 Thu 20-Feb-14 21:03:16

I can't remember the last time I was happy, I alway feeling sad lonely and stressed. I am sick of feeling so low.

I am not eating right as I have little or no appetite and I struggle to sleep.
I feel the DC and DH would be better off without me.

I am not brave enough to go to the doctor.

rabbitlady Thu 20-Feb-14 21:06:22

walk. aim for ninety minutes. you'll be fixed in 30.

rabbitlady Thu 20-Feb-14 21:08:47

hadabadday2014 please go to the doctor. please. they wouldn't be better off without you, they'd be better off with you well and happy. are your dc old enough to take out for a walk? my post above was answering the op, not you - i don't expect you to solve anxiety/depression/stress with a thirty minute walk. but walking helps. i know, i've just got in from a mh walk...

pamelat Thu 20-Feb-14 21:10:15

I struggle with moods, sad and angry. GP not intefested

Fixes .... enough sleep at night. Getting outside .
Exercise, runningis brilliant.

Can you get to a field wjth kids and run for 15 mins? I take mine on their bikes sometimes.

I have to be active, in control (so clean house) and outisde.

Bit weird but sometimes old photos help too, kids as babies etcI

pamelat Thu 20-Feb-14 21:11:35

Yes go to doctor, mine didnt think I needed prescribing (been 3 times, and sobbed 2 of them!!) But worth going to rule it out, also it could be blood sugars etc?

For actual depression, see a doctor.

For irrational bad moods, I find that just saying "I'm in an irrationally bad mood" helps for some reason. As does going outside, although if I am in an irrationally bad mood I generally don't want to do exercise, I want to hide under a duvet.

HadABadDay2014 Thu 20-Feb-14 21:16:37

Can't exercise ATM awaiting a MRI on my knees which I get constant problems with.

permaquandry Thu 20-Feb-14 21:21:00

Had, so sorry that this feeling is staying. It could be temporary but from my own experience, it's worth checking with the doctors, they should order a full bloods, as could be a number of things: hormones, thyroid etc.

You'll never know how bad you actually felt until you get better, and you will feel better. Maybe just naturally or with a little help, whatever that may be.

You are most definitely not alone, despite how isolated you may feel and the people who love you will want you happy and are not better off without you, you must try to keep telling yourself that.

We're all here to listen.

Thinking of you thanks

Writerwannabe83 Thu 20-Feb-14 21:23:56

Masturbation usually works for me grin

Writerwannabe83 Thu 20-Feb-14 21:24:58

On a serious note though - don't be afraid to see your Doctor, if you are genuinely concerned about your low moods then definitely talk to someone thanks

permaquandry Thu 20-Feb-14 21:25:06

Could somebody go to the docs with you? It's a big step, but I really think it's worth it. Everything can seem like a huge challenge when you're feeling like this but you can do it. thanks

randomfemale Thu 20-Feb-14 21:30:28

During the day I walk my dog (but when it's pissing with rain we stay in and cuddle on the sofa)

During the evening I drink wine and cuddle my dog on the sofa smile

permaquandry Fri 21-Feb-14 20:57:17

How you doing had?

hickorychicken Fri 21-Feb-14 21:01:46

I go to sleep. When i get low i get really low, theres not really an inbetween good and horrific, so its easier for me to sleep it off.

Lweji Fri 21-Feb-14 21:47:28

Actually forcing yourself to smile does make you feel happier, although it may be short lived.

MuttonCadet Fri 21-Feb-14 21:51:30

Totally agree with walking / cuddling dogs.

YouAreTalkingRubbish Fri 21-Feb-14 21:53:52

Hard work like gardening or cleaning. Something where I 'achieve' something. ....or sport or exercise especially outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now