Bizarre reaction to codeine .. 12 hours on and still nauseous

(19 Posts)

My mum is allergic to codeine, and we suspect I'm the same.

Codeine containing tablets just do not seem to work for me at all. This is apparently true for quite a proportion of people. Something to do with having or not having the right gene or enzyme to process it.

I do remember when I first took it: no relief for the pain and I ended up with major sweating and shaking. No hallucinations though.

Blatherskite Mon 17-Feb-14 11:28:24

I took cocodamol on Friday night and again on Saturday morning and it totally knocked me out! I was still feeling disconnected and zombie like all the way through until Saturday night.

I think it's easy to underestimate what strong drugs some pain killers can be. I'd been doubling up on paracetamol and ibuprofen for a few days before which wasn't working so I was a bit shocked when 2 little tablets could have such a huge effect!

cornishcreamtea Mon 17-Feb-14 11:22:29

It's quite common to have a reaction. I remember my DM telling me that she saw Kit Kats floating in the air after she had taken some.

I think you will have to find some alternative pain relief for the future.Hope you feel better by the end of the day.

bighairmistake Mon 17-Feb-14 11:20:53

I need cocodamol for headaches, but I don't get a bad reaction, in fact it just makes me feel nicely relaxed. It's a strong painkiller though and I'd get back in touch with NHS direct.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 17-Feb-14 11:20:29

Yeah had breakfast at 9ish

shouldnthavesaid Mon 17-Feb-14 11:20:10

Was only painkiller I had except for codydramol, wasn't even that horrible a headache wish I hadn't taken it.

Vickiyumyum Mon 17-Feb-14 11:19:18

I shouldn't be taken on an empty stomach. Have you eaten since?

It is a very strong painkiller and shouldn't be used lightly, I wouldn't have taken it for a headache. unless its a migraine paracetamol or ibuprofen would have done.

I've used codeine after a section and for back pain, I quite like it, I knocks me out so pain free.

ephemeralfairy Mon 17-Feb-14 11:16:59

It's bloody horrible stuff. I've only taken it once when I had impacted wisdom teeth. Never again. I'd rather endure the pain.

Yes, ring NHS again pronto. Or even get yourself to A&E. Good luck x

talulahbelle Mon 17-Feb-14 11:15:43

I won't touch codeine, it makes me dizzy lightheaded and feeling like I've been smothered. Nasty stuff.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 17-Feb-14 11:14:50

Oh it got rid of the pain,

I don't feel on this planet at all. When tutor comes over will ask to leave,

lljkk Mon 17-Feb-14 11:14:16

has made me queasy before, too. Now it just gives me insomnia & doesn't do anything for pain. Most pointless pain relief ever.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 17-Feb-14 11:12:24

Was very weird I was trying to do butterfly stroke, was also amazed at how I could move my hands and kept jumping in alarm at nothing, horrible.

UriGeller Mon 17-Feb-14 11:11:25

That's a strong reaction! I don't take codeine as it makes me nauseous and head swimmy but not to the extent of actually trying to swim!

I would ring nhs helpline. Keep drinking fluids. Are you sure you took the right dose?

shouldnthavesaid Mon 17-Feb-14 11:10:38

Not a things actually.just a mouthful of water, plus ibuprofen and usual anti depressant.

SeaSickSal Mon 17-Feb-14 11:10:07

What did you eat and drink with it?

shouldnthavesaid Mon 17-Feb-14 11:08:55

Oh I haven't even used het right forum. Sorry, still not right.

No, taken it lots of times before with only mild side effects,

TheScience Mon 17-Feb-14 11:08:04

Is it the first time you've taken codeine? I react very badly too, it's not uncommon.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 17-Feb-14 11:07:59

What I meant to say, is that normal with codeine? Nurse last night told me never to take it again but kind of need it for abdo pain..

shouldnthavesaid Mon 17-Feb-14 11:07:12

Took cocodamol last night for a headache. Was fine for 15 minutes, then moved and everything went weird. Have forgotten large chunks but remember trying to 'swim' on my bed. Phoned nhs and couldn't remember my postcode and was very confused.

I'm now very sweaty and feel very sick. Stuck in a uni class but close to leaving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now