About Weetabix portion size?

(61 Posts)
JammyTodger Mon 17-Feb-14 10:23:34

DH thinks I am over-feeding 4yo DS by giving him 2 Weetabix for breakfast. He is a slim boy and always hungry. Surely 2 Weetabix isn't excessive?? How many do your 4 yo boys eat?

Bonsoir Tue 18-Feb-14 08:46:47

Weetabix are not a contributing factor to the obesity crisis.

pianodoodle Tue 18-Feb-14 08:46:46

DD will eat 2 easily and has done since she was two. Haven't had weetabix in for ages will have to get some now!

She doesn't have an inch thick layer of sugar on the top like me though blush

falulahthecat Tue 18-Feb-14 08:43:07

I just died a bit inside after reading that even a 6 year old can get a 6 pack, but I can't get rid of my 'rubber ring'...

AlwaysDancing1234 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:37:07

Our DS weetabix portion has been 2 weetabix since he was at least 3 years old. And that's what he calls "first breakfast" that he has about 6:30am, he may then have "second breakfast" an hour later which is 2 slices of toast. He's always on the go and has always been slim so obviously just needs it and burns it off quickly!

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 18-Feb-14 08:17:51

Bleurgh! No sugar ever.

deakymom Mon 17-Feb-14 23:11:37

mine has two all the time he is just five i think he has had two since he was about two/three

elfycat Mon 17-Feb-14 22:59:18

DD1 (5) will have 2.5 and DD2 (3) has 2 weetabix if that's breakfast of choice. Often with toast as a starter. They're tall and slim, and forever hungry.

Always use full fat options on dairy. If I don't they whine for 'something to eat' all day so it does make a big difference. I've also worked out that I use so much less FF milk in my tea that I'm saving calories overall compared to my skimmed milk days.

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 17-Feb-14 22:58:34

No sugar here either unless I'm feeling rough, in which case I have a dessertspoonful per Weetabix.

I used to need sugar on them but it really isn't necessary. Adding fruit instead is enough. Weirdly warm milk on them makes them tastier/sweeter than cold. NFI why.

Velma67 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:57:30

My five year old has four but it keeps him going all day as he will rarely have more than a bit of fruit for lunch. (And yes, I have tried cutting down breakfast but he still eats bugger all lunch.)

JammyTodger Mon 17-Feb-14 22:49:20

No sugar in our house, Hilda. DS sometimes has fruit puree or banana on top, but he's happy without.

I think DH is worried that because I am fat big-boned, DS has inherited my fat gene. I could u derstand his fears if I was feeding him chocolate biscuits for breakfast, but it's sodding Weetabix ffs.

thenamestheyareachanging Mon 17-Feb-14 22:33:10

My 1 year old eats 2 weetabix and a banana for breakfast. 4 year old has a slice of toast as well. They're both on the skinny side.

HildaOgden Mon 17-Feb-14 22:32:54

Are you all putting sugar on top?how much?

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 17-Feb-14 22:22:47

My parents have a branded Weetabix bowl that came free with the cereal about a hundred fifteen years ago or something. It is not particularly big.

It's all about the layering.

Two on the bottom, next to each other like an old couple lying side by side.

Then two on top, at right angles. Like building Weetabix Jenga.

While we're on the subject of Weetabix, I can't bear to have it sloshing about in too much milk. They should be completely sodden but not a drop more.

Whatdoiknowanyway Mon 17-Feb-14 21:56:34

My relatively skinny daughter would have 4-6 weetabix for breakfast every day. The she went to university and switched to porridge. When I asked why she said 'mother do you have any idea how much weetabix costs'?
Er, yes!

What are you lot using to have 4 weetabix? My bowls are utterly crap with no room at all with just 2 in!

racmun Mon 17-Feb-14 20:30:36

My 3.5 year old ds has 2 weetabix and a handful of shreddies followed by 2 slices of toast. He eats the lot.

Unless your ds isn't eating it all and you're chucking it in the bin I don't see the problem.

Sunshine200 Mon 17-Feb-14 20:27:09

My dd is 2 & has 1.5 followed by some fruit, so 2 for your boy sounds fine to me.

It's not like it is chocolate, it's fine

Quangle Mon 17-Feb-14 20:22:28

My 4.5 yo has 1.5 Weetabix. He is a bit tubby though he shouldn't be judging by the thread.

MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 17-Feb-14 20:11:34

Mine both have 3 followed by a piece of fruit and then cornflakes or toast. Both a healthy weight, one skinny. They eat a light lunch then a big dinner. They are both v active though.

HandragsNGladbags Mon 17-Feb-14 20:00:26

DD2's record is 4 (she's 2) but usually 2. Must fill her up though because she is never that fussed about lunch.

I eat three if calorie counting as I find the extra 60cals seem to keep m full much longer than 2!

legoplayingmumsunite Mon 17-Feb-14 19:53:53

I eat one, my DB eats 4, DD1 (6) has one plus porridge or two with no porridge, DD2 (4) loves cereal and will happily have 3 bowls of porridge or 5 weetabix at breakfast time, although her usual portion is 2-3. She tends to have a tiny tea though, she obviously knows to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.

Both DDs walk a mile to school each day and are rib counting skinny so I'm not planning to control their diet any time soon.

frogspoon Mon 17-Feb-14 19:45:58

Think 2 Weetabix is fine, as long as he is healthy. You have said he is slim and hungry, so I see no logical reason not to give him more food.

JammyTodger Mon 17-Feb-14 17:28:56

It's not only Weetabix that have shrunk. Everything seems smaller these days, except my arse.

WildThong Mon 17-Feb-14 13:27:16

Agree with foxes weetabix have shrunk.

Oh and YADNBA op, 2 is absolutely fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now