Combi boiler or conventional?

(46 Posts)
Vole3 Mon 17-Feb-14 07:07:29

Ok, not strictly AIBU, but I am in a bit of a quandary as to which way to go to replace old gas boiler that went phutt at the weekend.
Must say I'm glad we have an immersion heater for the water!

Opinions please

Nancy66 Mon 17-Feb-14 12:30:21

Combis have massively improved in last decade - Worcester are probably the best and you'll get 15-18 years out of a good one.

landrover Mon 17-Feb-14 12:42:08

I think you can leave the tanks in situe, just drain them, although I am no expert! You will also find your new boiler is half the size, win win! Deffo combi xx

wonkylegs Mon 17-Feb-14 12:57:15

We only put the hot water on in the morning and the evening (on programmer) on our conventional boiler & megaflow and we haven't yet run out of hot water even when we had 15people here over Christmas. It heats up very fast (about 20mins if a top up is needed) and the modern cylinder stays warm all day.
Gas bills aren't too bad even though until we finish the renovations it's a bit like heating a giant leaky sieve. Can't wait for the windows & insulation to be finished.
Whatever way you go getting a decent programmer, room stat and thermostatic radiator valves means that you use your boiler much more efficiently.

Vole3 Mon 17-Feb-14 13:06:12

Already got TRV's fitted, had a decent programmer but the rads will benefit from the flush through as some weren't heating evenly.

We love our combi, but its probably not quite big enough and we do have to do a little 'negotiating' when it comes to water. It did save on our gas bills hugely.

However, I quite like the idea of having solar heated hot water, but now we have no cylinder to store it in which is a bit of a bummer.

FraidyCat Mon 17-Feb-14 13:56:12

I don't understand the comments about running out of hot water. I have conventional and that has never happened in 15 years of living here.

Each bathroom is powered by a separate 660 watt dual pump (separate pumps for hot and cold) so two people can power-shower simultaneously and there're no fluctuations in temperature or water pressure.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Mon 17-Feb-14 14:02:08

We've just replaced a 40+ year old conventional boiler with a combi. That, and having all our sash windows replaced with look-alike double glazed units, has taken over 150 quid a month off our fuel bills.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Feb-14 15:01:07

Valiant are the Miele of boilers, last years but expensive initial out lay.

ReallyTired Mon 17-Feb-14 15:06:50

Combi boilers are more tempermental. I think if you have a large house a traditional boiler is better. You are not completely in the sh!t if the boiler fails as you can use an immersion heater.

Combi boilers are more efficent in a flat where storage space is at a premium.

MostWicked Mon 17-Feb-14 16:03:20

12 radiators over 3 floors, 3 bathrooms with 1 bath & 2 showers
We have a good quality Combi and would never have anything else.

If the boiler failed (which it never has) we would use kettles until it was fixed and we would get it fixed within a few days. I'm not going to give house space to an inefficient immersion heater just in case the boiler breaks! The boiler is 15 years old now and is serviced every year.

I hated having an immersion heater!

Oriunda Mon 17-Feb-14 16:20:49

I installed a (reasonably expensive at the time) Worcester Bosch combi boiler in my flat 14 years ago and it is still going strong, had never gone wrong and the engineer tells me is still very current by today's standards. A very good brand. We have a Vaillant in our house but the Worcester is better.

Ragwort Mon 17-Feb-14 16:27:00

Conventional.

We had a new build house with a Combi - never worked properly, replaced it after two years at huge expense and it still didn't work. Never got a really hot bath, despite endless visits from plumbers.

Love our conventional boiler at our next house smile.

I am impressed Most that your combi works in your home - our last home was similar size and the combi just wasn't suitable.

landrover Mon 17-Feb-14 16:48:35

Ragwort, Im guessing that Most had a Combi that was capable of that amount of work. The combis have different size outputs so you have to make sure that you have the right size combi for the amount of radiators etc. Im guessing that maybe your combi wasn't the right size for your house (new build skimping maybe?) Only guessing of course!! (I have not a lot of combi experience grin

Joysmum Mon 17-Feb-14 16:53:57

Agree with the others, best to go for the size bigger than you think you'll need and either a Vallient or a Worcester.

wonkylegs Mon 17-Feb-14 17:13:37

I think some people are confused. Conventional boilers and cylinders don't heat by the immersion heater it's supplemental to the boiler heating the water and storing it in the cylinder. Immersion heater works as an additional heating element to the boiler. Not all cylinders have them, but they are useful if boiler isn't working as they can work independently. A similar solution would be having an electric shower.

OwlCapone Mon 17-Feb-14 17:14:02

A very deep, hot bath is perfectly doable with a Combi boiler. I fill mine with hot water and then top up with cold to bring the temperature down. No trouble at all.

If the boiler should fail, we have an electric power shower downstairs.

Ragwort Mon 17-Feb-14 21:49:04

landrover - we may have just been unlucky, it was a poncey expensive 'new build' grin so there was no need to skimp on the original boiler and then we replaced it, at our own expense, for another one which we had researched, but still didn't seem much better!

I never had a decent bath in the 10 years we lived there grin - the bliss when we moved into a rented property and could get a fabulous hot bath!! Now in our next house (also new build) we have a combination boiler and hot baths .............. just off for a hot bath now smile.

TheFarSide Mon 17-Feb-14 21:58:40

Combis are fine until the sealed system springs even the tiniest of tiny leaks, then they lose pressure and don't work. Then you have the issue of trying to figure out where the leak is coming from ... and that may mean pulling up all the floorboards and generally dismantling your house to find a mere drip.

brettgirl2 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:12:44

Had both op, each has advantages and disadvantages. Hot bath just turn the water down it takes less heating (only issue in winter ime anyway)

MostWicked Mon 17-Feb-14 22:22:27

We have a Vaillent combi which does a fabulous job. Definitely don't scrimp. It will pay for itself.
A soak in the bath is a very important matter for me. In my last house, we had a lovely big corner bath, and the cylinder couldn't fill it, so I never had a deep bath - I was so happy when we replaced it for a combi and I could enjoy a full bath.

Never had a leak but it should be fairly easy to narrow down where it is by isolating the different runs. And if you do have a leak under the floorboards, you're going to want to know about it sooner rather than later. Pipes can still leak, however the water is heated. With a combi boiler, you can see very easily if you are losing pressure and might have a leak.

landrover Mon 17-Feb-14 23:30:29

Ragwort well done, i love my baths xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now