To get wound up about MN and sleep advice

(387 Posts)
LittleMilla Sun 16-Feb-14 21:00:47

I love MN and will often come on to get advice...can normally count on it for sensible pointers for everything except for sleep.

AIBU to wonder why noone on MN seems to want their children to sleep through the night? I no of noone in RL who co-sleeps - but everyone on MN seems to? And people seem to think it's entorely normal for a 8 month old baby to wake repeatedly through the night.

I just don't get it. So much valuable advice...yet everyone on here seems to go madly soft when it comes to sleep.

Am I the only one?

TheRaniOfYawn Thu 20-Feb-14 21:36:47

And it's not usually laziness that stops people from sleep training. I was very sleep deprived for several years but didn't sleep train my children. The reason wasn't that I was to lazy to bother or that I led a chaotic life and didn't want the routine. Actually, I am pretty keen on calm bedtime (and mealtime and after school etc.) routines.

But leaving my babies to cry felt utterly wrong, instinctively and morally. I have spoken to friends who sleep trained their babies successfully and they don't seem to have felt this way. They talk about the grizzling and angry cries, but my children called me back with the sort of distressed cry that filled me with the adrenaline I would need to smash windows and break down doors to rescue and comfort them. I am not prepared to ignore that sort of cry of need for the sake of my own comfort.

When other parents day that they aren't prepared to let their babies cry, I assume that they experience a similar level of distress.

I can ignore a toddler tantrum without trouble but a baby in distress is a while different thing.

mrsspagbol Thu 20-Feb-14 21:54:48

Biitchiest comment EVER on Mnet gors to Panda biscuit

Love mother of a strict, well read, hardworking UNLUCKY mother of a reflux baby.

CoteDAzur Thu 20-Feb-14 22:08:24

You clearly haven't been on many AIBU threads grin

mrsspagbol Thu 20-Feb-14 22:26:48

Lol Cote clearly not. I spend anll my time trying to get my DD to sleep but apparently this is not sufficient compared to Panda, megrim et al

CoteDAzur Thu 20-Feb-14 22:28:55

Does that include leaving your baby to cry for a bit, or not?

mrsspagbol Thu 20-Feb-14 22:33:10

No have not done CC

CoteDAzur Fri 21-Feb-14 08:46:45

The biscuit is a bit premature then, isn't it?

PuddingAndHotMilk Fri 21-Feb-14 11:52:02

Cote, what's your point? That because spagbol chooses not to do CC she can't (correctly) suggest Panda was in need of a biscuit for her posts?!
There's some logic missing there! Are you sleep deprived??

CoteDAzur

No decent parent would use CC or CIO on a baby with reflux.

Even the so called baby sleep 'experts' who tout CC and CIO as the best thing since sliced bread don't advocate its use on babies/children who are ill or teething or funnily enough, those who are 'adopted and/or have abandonment issues'.

So enough with the sarky shite eh.

mrsspagbol Sat 22-Feb-14 22:11:48

Thank you Pudding and Highlander

Just read Cote's reply and would like to redirect my biscuit / give out another one!

CoteDAzur Mon 24-Feb-14 20:10:29

What on earth is wrong with you people? hmm

You have understood nothing from my post. Don't let that stop your bitchy self-congratulation fest, though.

LuisCarol Tue 25-Feb-14 02:47:13

self-congratulation fest

I'm really trying to be nice here, but accusing some of the parents of the non sleepers in this thread of being in a self-congratulation fest, when some of the parents of sleepers have explicitly said they are better parents is oh I don't know I'm too tired

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now