Am I being stupid to wonder where people keep all their shoes?

(68 Posts)
Dollslikeyouandme Sun 16-Feb-14 20:00:22

Aibu to think that shoe storage is an actual problem?

I don't think I've got an excessive amount of shoes, but there definitely isn't space in the bottom of the wardrobe, there isn't a single shoe rack big enough, and where do you put shoe racks anyway? In a cupboard? Haven't got the space.

Have most people got a proper place for their shoes, or are everyone else shoved here and there around the house like mine?

gamerchick Sun 16-Feb-14 20:36:06

i have 2 pair of shoes.. one pair of trainers and one pair of boots.

They fulfill all my needs.

How many pairs of shoes does a person need ffs? hmm

Salmotrutta Sun 16-Feb-14 20:36:45

Oh yes!

A shoe closet sounds just like those scenes in films where posh folk have massive walk in closets and everything has little cubicles and drawers and stuff.

And there are huge long rails with outfits ordered by type/colour etc. envy

Wish my house was bigger - I'd love on of those then I'd probably fill it up with crap

MrsDavidBowie Sun 16-Feb-14 20:38:07

A shoe closet. envy
You lucky lady.

Mine are in boxes in a wardrobe apart from wet weather boots which are in the utility.

( goes off muttering about shoe closets)

Salmotrutta Sun 16-Feb-14 20:38:19

My shoes are sprawled all over the house... Wardrobe, spare room, under the bed blush

Dollslikeyouandme Sun 16-Feb-14 20:38:52

I have probably

7 pairs of boots
2x converse
1x running trainers
1x walking boots
1x wellies
4 pairs of smart heeled shoes
5-6 sandals/wedges
Flip flops
2 x ballet pumps

That's just ones I wear, I've got a few that do probably need getting rid of now.

DustyBaubles Sun 16-Feb-14 20:39:18

Wellies/snow boots near the door.

School/work shoes on the stairs.

The rest are on a shoe rack in the hall, doubled up to fit them all in.

Dollslikeyouandme Sun 16-Feb-14 20:45:25

None of my shoes are fancy/expensive designer/high heels but just a mixture of different colour boots, ankle and mid calf plus warm boots. Ones I need for walking/running and different coloured sandals.

My shoes last me years so I collect them.

DipMeInChocolate Sun 16-Feb-14 20:45:27

I have shoe storage in my walk in wardrobe, only just utilised as the were in a mountain in the dark under stairs cupboard. Summer shoes, boots and going out shoes stored in a box in said wardrobe. i use the ikea skubb boxes. DH has his in an over door rack in the garage.

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 16-Feb-14 20:45:42

I have loads of shoes, probably pushing one hundred pairs.

I bought a large Ikea bookcase and streaked all the sore boxes into it. Can get about 10+ boxes per shelf if you get the geometry correct.

I think it's a genius system smile

BocaDeTrucha Sun 16-Feb-14 20:48:15

Shoes we wear regularly go in ikea show cupboards in the hall, the rest are in built - in shoe racks in the cupboard in the basement.

Naoko Sun 16-Feb-14 20:55:08

Ours are on the shoe rack by the door, but DP and I only have 5 pairs of shoes between us, so I don't think we're really the target audience of your question grin

Bodicea Sun 16-Feb-14 20:59:07

Two drawers of going out type shoes in wardrobe - just chucked in. I don't keep boxes as take up too much space and too time consuming to put in a box or on a rack. Out of season shoes in a big box in spare room. Current shoes in drawers under the stairs. A few forgotten about pairs at back of big cupboard under stairs behind vacuum and mop bucket. Really must sort them out!

I have wellies downstairs. And my other four pairs in my room under the fireplace. Sometimes when there's bad weather (February, looking at you) I wake up and there's ash all over them.

I just don't get the attraction to shoe closets? and have we got this American?

ItsWarmerInTheSouth Sun 16-Feb-14 21:31:18

Stuffed into the cupboard under the stairs. Every time we open it, everything falls out... we call it a shoe-nami. wink

shewhowines Sun 16-Feb-14 21:42:57

Some in the shoe cupboard in the hallway, one regularly used pair each kids flout this rule in a basket next to the shoe cupboard.

Some on an over door rack in the garage. Boots on shelf in garage. Out of season pairs in the garage. Wellies and walking boots in the garage.

A couple of good pair in the bottom of the wardrobe.

There are 4 of us in the house. I wouldn't even say that we have many shoes each, but they seem to be stuffed everywhere.

CorusKate Sun 16-Feb-14 21:52:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I have the cupboard of doom, especially built for all the shoes and coats. There's 3 kids worth and 1 adults worth of winter and summer shoes and coats in there.

EarlGreyCuppa Sun 16-Feb-14 21:55:32

My database of shoes tells me that I have 72 blush pairs of shoes inc. boots (but not wellies, trainers and flip flops etc.)

Unfortunately I have no built-in shoe closet or walk-in wardrobe... Next life maybe...

Most of my shoes are kept in their boxes at the bottom of my wardrobe, they take up more than half the wardrobe. Boots are kept in boxes under the bed. Shoes I am currently wearing regularly live on shelves in the cupboard under the stairs. Kids and hubby keep their paltry collection of shoes in another (smaller) under-stairs cupboard.

CorusKate Sun 16-Feb-14 22:00:14

CorusKate Sun 16-Feb-14 22:01:03

AuntySib Sun 16-Feb-14 22:03:21

Shoes on shoe rack adapted from Ikea unit designed for holding boxes of kids toys. Flipflops/Birkies in a drawer pending summer. Boots in the bottom of the wardrobe and in a few boxes. But I have loads of shoes and several pairs of boots, they seem to last for ages.

DS3 has a wicker basket for shoes ( school shoes, trainers, crocs and converse) in his room. DS1 & 2 only have 2 pairs each now they're not at school, so theirs go wherever they chucked them last. DH has a wooden box with a lid for ones he hardly ever wears, but lives in 2 pairs which also go wherever he took them off.
Also have separate plastic boxes in hall for wellies on a shelf so high I can't reach it ( need to change that!)

tunnocksteacake Sun 16-Feb-14 22:09:13

Oldraver Sun 16-Feb-14 22:21:26

We have a hall cupboard, not big just a door width, where we store that seasons coats and shoes. Spare shoes are kept boxed in the wardrobe

WitchWay Sun 16-Feb-14 22:24:36

Smart ones in their boxes in the bottom of the guest-room wardrobe. All the rest tumbled into the bottom of my main wardrobe. The bedroom light is really crap & I hate having to rummage around groping for shoes once they've become a bit jumbled up.

Pipbin Sun 16-Feb-14 22:29:05

Although we don't have a huge amount of shoes, shoe storage was one of my criteria when looking at houses. One of the reasons I liked the house we now have is that it had two understairs cupboards. So I have one just for shoes. They are mainly all DH's!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now