Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Am I being stupid to wonder where people keep all their shoes?

(68 Posts)
Dollslikeyouandme Sun 16-Feb-14 20:00:22

Aibu to think that shoe storage is an actual problem?

I don't think I've got an excessive amount of shoes, but there definitely isn't space in the bottom of the wardrobe, there isn't a single shoe rack big enough, and where do you put shoe racks anyway? In a cupboard? Haven't got the space.

Have most people got a proper place for their shoes, or are everyone else shoved here and there around the house like mine?

Wardrobe in the spare room wink

shakinstevenslovechild Sun 16-Feb-14 20:07:59

I have mine in their boxes stacked in piles everywhere a corner of my room, and some that I don't really wear anymore bubble wrapped and boxed up in the attic and in the cupboard under the stairs. I wouldn't have my shoes in shoe racks, they would get all dusty and bashed. I imagine most people don't have one particular place for their shoes and they just end up everywhere like mine.

Springcleanish Sun 16-Feb-14 20:08:34

In a giant shoe mountain in the porch. Not ideal, but not in the house so I try to ignore it as much as possible.

nickelbabe Sun 16-Feb-14 20:08:45

here and there in our house too.

there are bigger storage worries in our house hmmshock

I've got five of those slidy plastic crates on wheels under the bed, and three more in the bottom of the built in wardrobe, and I keep out of season shoes (ie sandals etc in winter, Uggs etc in Summer) in the loft.

And I don't even consider myself to be someone with a lot of shoes.

Happiestinwellybobs Sun 16-Feb-14 20:12:17

All in a wardrobe in the spare room - in clear shoe boxes stacked up smile I don't think I have that many really although DH would disagree.

PinkyHasNoEars Sun 16-Feb-14 20:14:13

I do have a lot.

In boxes...in the wardrobe. Stacked seasonally (I kid you not).

The creeping menace.

ILoveWooly Sun 16-Feb-14 20:17:08

My winter shoes are currently stacked in bokes at the bottom of my wardrobe alongside my all year round classics... my spring/summer/autumn shoes are in their boxes in the hall cupboard.

I really do love my shoes!

Dollslikeyouandme Sun 16-Feb-14 20:20:50

I don't have a spare room perhaps that's where I'm going wrong.

I currently have all my sandals in an under the bed storage tub, smart shoes stacked at the side of the wardrobe, and current season boots lined up under the stairs, they're all driving me mad, I want somewhere proper where I can put my shoes away and select which pair I want.

Do people have lots of those individual shoe boxes then? A huge under the bed box with individual compartments would be good actually.

ShabbyChic8 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:24:06

We keep seasonal shoes in plastic tubs in the garage when not in use. We have a shoe storage cupboard in our hallway which just about houses all our shoes. In theory we have a one in one out policy too, so every new pair we buy we charity or chuck a pair we no longer wear, doesn't always work though.

Dollslikeyouandme Sun 16-Feb-14 20:25:00

The bottom of my wardrobe has baskets with socks/underwear (drawers are full with other clothes, make up, hairdryer and straighteners, kindle, phone charger etc). The other side has all my bags.

Hall cupboard is full with hoover, mop bucket, ironing board.

Mrswellyboot Sun 16-Feb-14 20:25:56

Same issue here. Occasion shoes to go with wedding outfits are in the spare room ( plus summer sandles )on a shelf in wardrobe

Everyday shoes on a small rack in wardrobe

Other types (weekend stuff) in an underbed plastic box.

Farrowandbawl Sun 16-Feb-14 20:26:18

In a shoe cupboard thing for the ones we wear all the time.

Bottom of wardrobes in shoe boxes for the ones we don't wear as often.

Welly boots are in the meter cupboard.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Sun 16-Feb-14 20:26:27

www.aplaceforeverything.co.uk/static/product_images/pic_812_4.jpg

Under the stairs. Got these clip together things that let you arrange to fit the space.

Amy106 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:27:47

In the wardrobe, in the hall closet, under the stairs...maybe I need to sort out my shoe collection! smile

sydlexic Sun 16-Feb-14 20:28:15

I have a built in shoe closet. Built by DH, it's his best talent building things.

Sunflower49 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:28:59

Same issue here!DP has a vast amount of boots. They're all in an untidy pile at the bottom of the stairs. Drives me **ing nuts.Couple of mine there too-my 'nice' shoes at bottom of the walk in wardrobe (we have a sort of 'bunk' bed with my clothes on a clothes rail underneath, to save space).

PinkyHasNoEars Sun 16-Feb-14 20:30:08

<Swooning with envy over thought of ^shoe closet^>

ShoeWhore Sun 16-Feb-14 20:30:38

I have a hanging shoe store in the wardrobe for mine.
Boots lined up neatly underneath.

Dcs have a basket near the front door.
There's also a communal basket tucked away for wellies football boots and walking boots.

How many shoes do you have? Do you actually wear them all?

Dollslikeyouandme Sun 16-Feb-14 20:31:42

I am green with envy at the shoe closet, I can just see me sliding open the door to all my shoes in neat little compartments.

VideoEtTaceo Sun 16-Feb-14 20:32:41

We go out of the house via the garage, and keep all our shoes in there on (enormous) shelves. It does mean the shoes are freezing when you first put them on!

shakinstevenslovechild Sun 16-Feb-14 20:32:46

A built in shoe closet envy envy envy

PrincessOfChina Sun 16-Feb-14 20:33:19

Ours are all over. They often get tidied into the wardrobe and under the bed in slidy boxes but then they creep out and end up under the radiator in the dining room.

We had a big lunch today, and DH popped 19 pairs from there into an Ikea bag and slung them in the cupboard. Not ideal!

Preciousbane Sun 16-Feb-14 20:34:10

I had to sell all my beautiful heels when my back became so dreadful I just couldn't wear them anymore. I kept two pairs that I couldn't bear to part with and I just gaze at my satin LK Bennett's and think I could wear you but then I wouldn't be able to walk for a couple of days.

The very dull and sensible shoes that I now own are all kept in my shoe cupboard looking all boring and worthy, the bastards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now