To not 'get' anti-perspirants

(129 Posts)
bakeroony Sun 16-Feb-14 19:19:09

I think this is going to be a controversial one grin

The thought of using an anti-perspirant gives me the creeps. To me, it's like using a product to cut down on your saliva, or other secretions, and it just seems unnatural and wrong. I haven't used it since I was a teenager and got fed up of all the white marks, not to mention the scaremongering about products containing aluminium.

I'm slightly more comfortable with the idea of deodorants but again, I hate the thought of slicking my armpits with a sticky product just to smell a bit more like a toilet freshener. I'm 'lucky' to have the dry earwax gene and everyone I've asked (I did a study as part of this at Uni too) says they can't detect an odour, but I think I'd feel this way even if I did produce BO.

I usually just spritz a bit of perfume and get on with it. To me, sweating is a beneficial thing for the body.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I completely on my own here?

ComposHat Mon 17-Feb-14 09:41:21

hack we have only had antibiotics for 60 years, oral contraceptives for 50, and a minimum wage for less than 20. Our flat didn't have an indoor bathroom until the 1980s.

Whilst socety functioned without these things for100s of years and we don't 'need' them, but I am glad I live in a society with them rather than one without them. Likewise antiperspirant.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 17-Feb-14 10:59:32

I have low blood pressure, I sweat very little and rarely smell of BO.
My earwax seems to be dry.
I don't faint but am prone to postural hypotension.

takingthathometomomma Mon 17-Feb-14 11:02:55

If you genuinely don't smell I don't see why it would be a problem. Nothing worse than being shoved up next to someone on the tube who's anti-anti-perspirants though...

PoirotsMoustache Tue 18-Feb-14 18:39:00

I wish my work colleague would wear deodorant at the very least, if not anti-perspirant. He does smell quite a bit of strong BO, despite being a clean guy who showers daily. He also eats a lot of strong-smelling food, which makes it more pungent

I don't really smell very much unless I'm extra hot or have been more active than usual. But I still wear anti-perspirant because I don't want to risk offending the noses of those I spend time with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now