Teeth brushing in the morning?

(56 Posts)
Feminine Sun 16-Feb-14 19:03:10

Inspired by another thread here today. I am constantly shocked by the amount of people that claim to be too busy to brush their teeth first thing! They go to the school drop off, visit me... Then claim they haven't had a chance.
Am l being unreasonable to think there is no excuse and no life too busy to skip it?

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Wed 19-Feb-14 07:48:31

grin why?
sit on loo
Reach out, get toothbrush and toothpaste
Load toothbrush and put paste back
brush teeth
put toothbrush back
wipe self
close loo lid and flush
wash hands
spit

what's rank about it? There's no crossover or contamination.

lljkk Mon 17-Feb-14 11:22:23

I wouldn't brush my teeth while on the loo. That's way too rank for me.

I don't tend to bother because I don't eat breakfast until I'm at my desk at work a few hours later. I guess I could pre-emtorily brush before leaving house, instead. <<Shrug>> Am happy to admit to being guilty of having terrible organisation skills.

Joolsy Mon 17-Feb-14 11:20:28

I often do the school run without brushing my teeth as I've usually just finished breakfast, but I do have the luxury of being able to brush them between getting back from school run & going to work. Couldn't possibly go to work without!

Cheesy123 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:00:02

Eww that's gross, I hate brushing my teeth it makes me gag but I still do it, I'd feel far worse if I didn't

Fakebook Mon 17-Feb-14 07:42:43

Eew. This is why I hate it when people have "breakfast in bed" without washing their face or brushing their teeth. Its disgusting. It takes two mins to brush...you're never that busy. I also brush my tongue; that's the real source of bad breath.

CerealMom Mon 17-Feb-14 07:23:19

I also clean my tongue.

JapaneseMargaret Mon 17-Feb-14 07:18:19

Oh yes, always before an evening out, as part of getting ready.

PollyCazaletWannabe Mon 17-Feb-14 07:16:43

I am like you borntorun, I brush once when I get up, once after breakfast and if I am going out in the evening, I brush before I go out. Always before I go to bed as well.

JapaneseMargaret Mon 17-Feb-14 07:16:42

Wake, loo, brush teeth, shower.

And then if I have a cup of coffee, another quick brush before leaving the house.

And always a brush before bed.

There is no excuse for inflicting morning breath on people.

goldopals Mon 17-Feb-14 07:08:22

I normally brush mine twice a day; at morning and before bed. If I am going out I will usually brush my teeth first. I think the last time I did not brush my teeth regularly was when I flew to the US and forgot my teeth brushing equipment so went about 24 hours without brushing

i

i

Kytti Mon 17-Feb-14 04:05:07

My parents always made me do mine at night, never in the morning. I CANNOT go to bed without brushing, but in the morning; well I'm pretty laisse-faire. ;)

Yep, I'm one of those stinky people, but none of my children have EVER had to have work done at the dentist, so clearly done pretty well so far.

Bankholidaybaby Mon 17-Feb-14 01:17:48

EBearhug, OP is probably a dentist, having mentioned people visiting her with dirty teeth after the school run.

FoxesRevenge Mon 17-Feb-14 00:33:39

hobbjobb I'm not pregnant but also share a sense of smell with a bloodhoundgrin. I smell things before other people do too if that makes sense. It's a bit of a joke with family and friends, they reckon I'm like a CO2 or smoke detector! Journeys on public transport and other confined spaces with other people are not pleasant.

paddyclampo Sun 16-Feb-14 23:36:35

I can't believe anyone would even contemplate leaving the house without washing their face and brushing their teeth. I struggle to leave without a shower as well. Some people are just grim!

LowCloudsForming Sun 16-Feb-14 23:19:13

Just to reiterate…morning important, night time critical! Seriously for those non night time brushers…change!

DipMeInChocolate Sun 16-Feb-14 22:52:20

I brush before breakfast too. Once I'm downstairs, I'm virtually out the door so it's just easier.

Innogen Sun 16-Feb-14 22:48:30

Always brush in the morning. Have too, hate that fuzzy feeling.

I often brush them in the shower!

Feminine Sun 16-Feb-14 22:47:45

Thanks for your responses!

hobbjobb Sun 16-Feb-14 22:39:54

I get the bus to work in the mornings, I am currently 26w pregnant so I admit I have the sense of smell of a bloodhound, but I get on the bus and actually gag every morning as it just reeks of bad breath and unwashed bodies.
I can't understand how anyone can leave the house without having at least a quick wash and brushing their teeth, it's disgusting.

looselegs Sun 16-Feb-14 22:03:38

....none of us ever clean our teeth before bed-can't be arsed and it's more hassle than it's worth to try and get the kids to do it (they're 15 and 10 and I really don't need the whining before bed....).
Having said that......we all visit the dentist every 6 months without fail. DS is 15. He has never needed a filling or a scale and polish and the last time we went, the dentist congratulated him on his perfect teeth.DD is 10 and has also never needed a filling or a scale and polish.I haven't needed anything doing to my teeth-apart from the odd polish cos I like how it feels-for 23 years.
We all clean our teeth in the morning and use mouthwash every day.And if I had smelly breath,DH would tell me and visa verse.

Housewife2010 Sun 16-Feb-14 21:58:58

It's gross, but what i also find quite repellant are people who don't wash their faces in the morning & you talk to them & see sleep in their eyes! I have a lovely friend I often chat to in the morning at school, but quite often I see "eye snot". Ugh!

Borntorun25 Sun 16-Feb-14 21:47:04

I brush immediately I get up as I hate the smell and taste of morning breath. Then have breakfast. Then rebrush before I leave for work, my mouth feels sticky and unclean otherwise.
I always brush before going out anywhere in evening too. Just feels better. And of course at night pre bed.
We get through a lot of toothpaste in our house grin

Bodicea Sun 16-Feb-14 20:53:26

Slightly off topic but just wondering if this is just me or normal. I find that if I brush my teeth straight after getting up then my breath is not as fresh as if I wait 20 min or so. It's like the bad breath from my sleep is still coming up.
Has any one else noticed this?

WitchWay Sun 16-Feb-14 20:40:05

I brush my teeth in the morning before I do anything else, & I mean anything. Even if I'm going to slob around in pyjamas for a while.

Mrsmorton Sun 16-Feb-14 20:34:56

Food doesn't make your teeth dirty though. Plaque does. It's best to brush before eating. I've just had my supper and I don't have food all over my teeth, why would you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now