To think that the babysitter might tidy up??

(147 Posts)
ahcomeon Sun 16-Feb-14 09:58:23

Just back from a night out. The living room is like a bomb site! Sitter puts the kids to bed and literally sat on her ass all evening without so much as putting the toys away. Not to mention empty popcorn packets and juice cartons etc..
I couldn't sit there amongst all the crap, it would drive me nuts and I wouldn't be able to relax!
But what's pissing me off is that I handed her 60 quid for the night and she couldn't be arsed even tidying up.
Not unreasonable to expect to come back to a somewhat tidy house is it?

ZenNudist Tue 18-Feb-14 08:37:49

Should have said something at the time. 'We always encourage the children to tidy up before bedtime.The amount of mess you've left would discourage me from employing you again.'

candycoatedwaterdrops Tue 18-Feb-14 08:47:34

People didn't comment that she was underpaid, just that it's not as freaking fantastic as the OP seems to think.

schokolade Tue 18-Feb-14 08:48:25

If you want him/her to clean up, ask at the beginning of the evening.

I had this once when I was 14. The parents came home (2 hours late) and were not happy I hadn't washed the dinner dishes (I arrived long after dinner had finished!). I told them where to get off, but you can't expect the sitter to know and accept/decline if you haven't specified the terms of the contract.

scottishmummy Tue 18-Feb-14 08:51:21

Yes I agree,she should put away mess she/they created.toys,wrappers etc

LittleBearPad Tue 18-Feb-14 08:55:16

She should have got the children to put away the cushions etc or done it herself. If she causes the mess then she should be responsible for tidying it up one way or another. And throwing out rubbish isn't too much to ask. YANBU.

BrianTheMole Tue 18-Feb-14 08:59:31

Crikey, I would have thought it was common sense to clear up after yourself, not something that is the terms of the contract. Imagine being offered an office job, and saying I can't accept it unless I know its ok to leave my dirty cups on the desk and my dirty wrappers all over the place, as I don't want to clear up after myself grin. Theres some entitled fuckers on here.

BrianTheMole Tue 18-Feb-14 09:02:07

<Not that I'm saying you're an entitled fucker Shokolade. I have no idea if you are or not grin>

divisionbyzero Tue 18-Feb-14 09:19:53

OK, firstly it is quite correct to say a babysitter is not a tidier and they should not be under any obligation to tidy however it may be a reflection of the person you're hiring that they don't pick up and put away after themselves.

It also depends on the state of your house. If it is minging for instance, I would not expect anyone to get involved in tidying up, in it. If it is spick and span and they're messing it up, they may be a generally crap person.

Looks like you're trying to hire a proper nanny on that money, so maybe you should ask your sitters agency when you next hire- some sitters agencies have a few on their books.

Chummiestwin Tue 18-Feb-14 09:49:45

Division there is no excuse for tge sitter leaving rubbish on tge floor and around, especially after op has said her house was tidy beforehand, if she was a messy person she would not be bothered by it

FrenchJunebug Tue 18-Feb-14 10:29:54

am I the only person to think that £45 to look after THREE children for 6 hours is not much money!?

LittleBearPad Tue 18-Feb-14 10:36:14

Seems perfectly reasonable to me French. Especially as the children will mainly be asleep.

scottishmummy Tue 18-Feb-14 10:42:22

Cannot see why emphasising THREE kids makes point.op has paid fair rate

FrenchJunebug Tue 18-Feb-14 10:53:18

my childminder/babysitter gets pay per child. And looking after three children for that amount of time is exhausting. Unless she was specifically asked no reasons to tidy.

LittleBearPad Tue 18-Feb-14 10:58:40

Not when they are asleep!

FrenchJunebug Tue 18-Feb-14 10:59:15

they weren't asleep as they play for a large of amount of time!

scottishmummy Tue 18-Feb-14 11:08:21

Op paid Fair rate.babysitting isn't exactly skilled arduous work

nannynewo Tue 18-Feb-14 11:08:31

I don't like the way you said that she is 22 years old and it wouldn't occur to most kids her age. 1. she is not a kid. 2. I am a 21 year old who does lots of babysitting, and so do lots of my friends my age. None of us would leave a big mess, we would do a quick tidy up to make sure the house was in order. 3. I would expect her to at the very least tidy away any games they play. and 4. I do not think it is most people her age, I would say she is just a bit lazy and probably needs prompting.
FWIW, when I babysit and the kids are in the middle of eating, I will even wash up all the dishes once the kids are in bed, the parents do not expect this at all, but I think it is nice that the parents can come home and just relax, instead of needing to worry about the little things that only take a few minutes for me to do.

LittleBearPad Tue 18-Feb-14 11:14:32

Babysitter was in charge from 7pm. Oldest child is 7. They were in bed from 9? Worst case 10pm. At least half of the time the babysitter was working she had no children to run round after.

Ubik1 Tue 18-Feb-14 16:24:40

Ha when I was babysitter I used to get a fiver and a value pizza!

Ubik1 Tue 18-Feb-14 16:26:33

Sorry but €9/ hour? and people think she was underpaid? Do any if you live in the real world?

Ragwort Tue 18-Feb-14 16:30:53

Is this a boasting thread about our babysitting days?

I can remember asking for 15p (yes, fifteen pence) an hour grin in the early 70s and I always washed and tidied up. and swigged sherry from the decanter.

I would love to get some babysitting work now, I am in my 50s, CRB checked and an experienced mum. smile

candycoatedwaterdrops Tue 18-Feb-14 20:19:50

Competeitive misery:

I babysit for 4 week old quadruplets and 2 year old triplets, the latter suffer from chronic insomnia. I got paid 10p an hour for 8 hours from 7 pm till 3 am. I still get time to sweep the chimney and scrub the floors with my personal toothbrush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now