To think that the babysitter might tidy up??

(147 Posts)
ahcomeon Sun 16-Feb-14 09:58:23

Just back from a night out. The living room is like a bomb site! Sitter puts the kids to bed and literally sat on her ass all evening without so much as putting the toys away. Not to mention empty popcorn packets and juice cartons etc..
I couldn't sit there amongst all the crap, it would drive me nuts and I wouldn't be able to relax!
But what's pissing me off is that I handed her 60 quid for the night and she couldn't be arsed even tidying up.
Not unreasonable to expect to come back to a somewhat tidy house is it?

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 16-Feb-14 10:23:13

YABU, babysitters do not tidy. How old are your kids btw? Can they not tidy?

Electryone Sun 16-Feb-14 10:25:39

Im a bit amazed at the £60 thing...how many hours was that for?

JodieGarberJacob Sun 16-Feb-14 10:28:05

Bloody hell £60! I do a whole evening for £30 and tidy, wash up, clean surfaces etc. Are you in the south east? I could do with the money grin

ahcomeon Sun 16-Feb-14 10:30:33

Slightly off topic but I just realised I converted the exchange rate incorrectly. I paid 56 euro which is 45 stg (not 60 which I said earlier) for six hours babysitting. Works out at 9 euro an hour.
Handy cash eh? The least she could do is pick up a few toys!!!

FoodieToo Sun 16-Feb-14 10:36:26

You say you are 'just back' so I assume it was an overnight?

I would definitely have expected her to pick up mess made when she was there,otherwise not really.

I just wouldn't ask her again.

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 16-Feb-14 10:37:25

Unless your kids are tinies, why can't they pick up some toys?

SaucyJack Sun 16-Feb-14 10:42:19

YANBU. Was she a "proper" babysitter? Very slovenly and unprofessional.

TaraLott Sun 16-Feb-14 10:43:24

£45 for six hours, is that right?
So £7.50 an hour?
YABVU.

TamerB Sun 16-Feb-14 10:43:26

I would tidy any mess that had been made by me and the children while I was there.

lottieandmia Sun 16-Feb-14 10:44:50

When my dd was on an ABA programme I expected the tutors to tidy up after a session. This is no different. YANBU, unless the toys were all over the place to start with. And from your post I assume they weren't.

TaraLott Sun 16-Feb-14 10:45:01

Handy cash?
Well presumably that's why she did your babysitting, nothing at all wrong with her earning some money.

bearleftmonkeyright Sun 16-Feb-14 10:45:14

Yanbu, I am a midday and regularly get asked to babysit. I always have a quick tidy up when kids have gone to bed. Lazy mare! The children at pre school are expected to help tidy up so I don't think there are any excuses. Babysitting is a massive responsibility. It sounds like you've paid her more than adequately.

Panzee Sun 16-Feb-14 10:45:19

Maybe ask her next time. Sometimes it's not always clear where things go. Apart from crisp packets of course. smile

I tidy, but that's because I'm a nanny and my babysitting rates reflect that and the extra work implied. Though it also reflects the fact that I can actually get the kids to tidy up themselves before bed these days grin When I babysat before nannying I never tidied up, that was the children's job and if they didn't do it then they could in the morning with their parents watching over them. Not that I ever really noticed if things were out of place as I was in my own world hmm

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Sun 16-Feb-14 10:49:56

What she should have done is made sure your kids picked up their crap.

I am assuming she didnt leave the wrappers from her own snacks on the floor!

hugoagogo Sun 16-Feb-14 10:52:52

Sounds cheap to me, especially if your dc were fed or put to bed by the babysitter.

When I have had babysitters I always made sure the dc were in bed before they arrived and expected the babysitter to sit on the sofa, eat biscuits and watch tv-only in an emergency did they actually have to do anything.

Your comment about not being able to sit in mess indicates that you are a certain kind of person that cannot tolerate mess; therefore your idea of mess may be quite different than say mine or your baby sitter.

yabu

insancerre Sun 16-Feb-14 10:55:48

YABU if you didn't ask her to tidy up.
YANBU if you asked her and she ignored your request.

TidyDancer Sun 16-Feb-14 10:56:13

I would've personally tidied, but it think all you should've expected was for her to clear any mess she generated, which would've been the food and drinks items.

He many toys etc were out? Maybe she didn't think it was a mess, and it's just irking you more than it would her.

TidyDancer Sun 16-Feb-14 10:56:51

And yes, insancerre is right. What did you actually ask her to do?

ahcomeon Sun 16-Feb-14 10:57:40

Well she is a very sweet girl and the kids love her which is the main thing. In her own world like most kids her age so I suppose it just didn't occur to her.
Will 'gently' point it out to her next time!

Electryone Sun 16-Feb-14 10:58:11

Not sure about your "handy cash" remark OP, she earned it by babysitting your children...my income from my job is quite "handy" to!

Supercosy Sun 16-Feb-14 11:02:26

So people don't even think someone should put their own popcorn packet in the bin? Blimey! I thought I had low standards with regards to domesticity! 6 hours is quite a long stint so can understand the pay. £45 sounds ok for that

MrsBungle Sun 16-Feb-14 11:06:00

Was it her mess op or the kids mess?

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Sun 16-Feb-14 11:07:37

I bloody do, super! There is no excuse for an adult leaving their rubbish on the floor.

I am hoping she put her own in the bin though and where she went wrong was not making the children clear their mess up. That would be a reasonable thing to ask of a babysitter - don't let the kids go to bed without tidying up after themselves.

pigletmania Sun 16-Feb-14 11:09:29

Yanbu at all, it does not take a few mins to throw toys back in the box and take your rubbish to the trash, basic things we are taught as young children!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now