Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be upset that the vaccine for Meningitis B has been rejected due to cost

(6 Posts)
MrsSeanBean1 Mon 10-Feb-14 00:17:45

I was very upset to learn a few days ago that the vaccine for meningitis B (the worst strain) was rejected due to cost. This disease is the leading cause of death and disability in children under 5 and anyone who has seen photos of the poor children who have had to have limbs amputated know how devastating it can be.

I am seriously considering saving up and getting the vaccination privately (along with the chicken pox jab) for my 2 year old. Has anyone done this or is considering it?

juniper44 Mon 10-Feb-14 00:21:30

I know absolutely nothing about this subject, but I do believe in the NHS. If the vaccine was cost effective then they would go ahead with it. Perhaps it doesn't have a great success rate?

I don't know, but I do know the NHS is money driven, but on a grand scheme. It may be cheaper to not immunise now, but if it'll cost more down the line then they'll push it through.

holidaysarenice Mon 10-Feb-14 00:24:04

Exactly, it has to be cost effective to fit the vaccine programme.

There are many vaccines/screening programmes not used for this reason.

Eg rsv vaccine is only used in prem or immunocomprimised babies but it is a leading resp infection.

MrsSeanBean1 Mon 10-Feb-14 00:25:10
juniper44 Mon 10-Feb-14 00:48:03

With regards to the chicken pox jab, YABU

We live in a country with the chicken pox jab as standard. Guess what? DD has had the job and chicken pox. Some vaccines are really not effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now