Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to apply for new jobs even though we are planning to start a family soon

(28 Posts)
Beansprout30 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:05:17

Arghh I dont know what to do! The job I have loved for the last few years has recently started to get me down and I feel like it's time for a change. There are lot's of pros to my current job but im getting fed up of my role being changed and feeling unappreciated. Ive been browsing jobs and feel tempted to apply but am also thinking perhaps it will be a case of the grass isnt always greener and regret leaving. On top of it all DH and I plan to start a family this year which makes any decision even harder!

lunar1 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:08:01

Apply now, you never know what the future holds. It took me seven years to have my first child.

harticus Sun 09-Feb-14 21:09:27

Just because you intend to start a family soon doesn't necessarily mean it will happen overnight.
It took us 16 years to conceive.
You can't put your life on hold. If you fancy a change then do it.

TheScience Sun 09-Feb-14 21:10:47

You have no idea how long it might take to get pregnant - how long would you hang on in your current job for just in case?

Beansprout30 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:13:33

Another question, has anyone applied for a job where a degree was a requirement but you don't have a degree?!

winterhat Sun 09-Feb-14 21:15:00

YANBU. You're perfectly within your rights to apply for jobs now.

Beansprout30 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:15:05

*didn't

MsAspreyDiamonds Sun 09-Feb-14 21:17:03

I am in a similar position with regards to being dissatisfied at work but I have had my dc so I don't have the same dilemma. I applied for jobs and ttc'd at the same time and surprisingly became pregnant really quickly so I turned down 2 interviews. My current work place has a generous maternity entitlement so I stuck with my job. However, I am not satisfied at work anymore like I used to be so it is time for a change.

I would ttc sooner rather than later because you dont know how long it will take you to get pregnant, it could take a month, a year or longer. You could job hunt while on the latter part of your maternity leave and then hand in your three month notice once you get something.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 09-Feb-14 21:19:39

It could take you ages to get pregnant, don't put your life on hold because of potentially TTC.

I wouldn't apply for a job if I didn't have the qualifications for it, no. Depends if its a desirable or an essential qualification.

SugarMiceInTheRain Sun 09-Feb-14 21:23:05

Don't postpone making career moves in the hope that you get pregnant. I took a crappy admin job upon leaving teaching because we were ttc so I figured it wouldn't be long term hmm It was a mistake and my earning power now my children are older would be much better now if I hadn't been killing time in a dead-end job that I wasn't interested in for all that time. Carpe diem smile

emsyj Sun 09-Feb-14 21:30:00

I started my current job when 19 weeks pregnant. I'm now back at work and my baby has just turned 1. It's a great job, I really like it and I plan to stay in the long term.

Re: the degree - why is it a requirement? I think you need to understand why they're asking for this qualification in order to assess whether you can meet those requirements despite not having the right bit of paper.

Beansprout30 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:37:01

Emsyj im not sure why the degree is a requirement for this role, I can tick off every other requirement and nowhere in the job description does it seem a degree is necessary. Perhaps I will apply just to see if I even get an interview

selsigfach Sun 09-Feb-14 21:42:56

Maybe try writing into the Guardian for advice smile

Littleen Sun 09-Feb-14 21:49:30

Apply anyway! Might take you a while to get pregnant (or no time at all) so you shouldn't let that influence your decision smile

redexpat Sun 09-Feb-14 22:02:14

Just apply. Play university of life if you get invited to interview.

emsyj Mon 10-Feb-14 15:28:26

I would call them beforehand and ask them why they require a degree. There may be a reason that is not immediately apparent from the advert (e.g. they may require you to undertake specific vocational training that is only open to graduates). If they give you a load of flannel and don't seem to have a real reason, ask if they would consider an application from a candidate who can meet all those requirements but who is not a graduate. I wouldn't just send a CV/application in - it gives the impression that you didn't bother reading the job spec. Call and discuss with them first - just in case there is a reason why it is a requirement.

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Feb-14 15:34:30

Definitely apply for jobs, you've no decision to make until you get offered one! I would also start TTC as well.

ACatCalledBrian Mon 10-Feb-14 18:34:26

The last three jobs DH has got have all wanted a degree in the job spec. He doesn't have one and it's never been a problem. Think he was only asked about it once at interview, and he was totally honest about not having one but explained instead how his previous jobs had given him the same skills. He works in IT.

Beansprout30 Mon 10-Feb-14 18:38:57

Thanks all for the replies

Beansprout30 Mon 10-Feb-14 23:08:14

babrow13 Tue 11-Feb-14 00:12:17

Yes apply! I was in a similar situation. I was working 1.5hrs commute away public transport, 40 hrs a week and trying to conceive for 1 year. I then got a job 30hrs a week term time, 5 mins drive away. Well I did conceive 2 weeks into starting the job and just scraped stat maternity pay! It was a bit awkward with new employer at first but I did work my socks off for those 9 months to prove myself. Anyway through the pregnancy I was much more relaxed than I believe I would of been in my old job.

Go for it, try looking for something that will suit you in the long term regarding family, just think of all the hard work you have put in through you career and what you will do in the future, you need to think about yourself sometimes, companies do, don't feel guilty. I also agree as previously stated you never know how long it will be before your family arrives. Don't say that it your interview though! Good luck.

Beansprout30 Tue 11-Feb-14 13:19:43

Beansprout30 Tue 11-Feb-14 13:21:32

Oops posted twice! Anyone moved from a large organisation to something rather small?! Is it a bad idea?

JeanSeberg Tue 11-Feb-14 13:30:08

I've always got on much better in smaller organisations. I'm about to leave my current job so I'll definitely be looking for that in my next role.

In my experience, small organisations offer more flexibility, variety and opportunities for job progression. As opposed to the large companies where you only see one part of the process, get caught up in all sorts of procedures, policies and head office BS and are just one of a thousand employees. (Obviously goes without saying to check the smaller company is financially secure!)

Do you have a particularly company in mind? What sector is it in?

Beansprout30 Tue 11-Feb-14 17:28:10

Jean that's the way my company is going now and although I feel I have job security, I feel the attitude to staff has changed. I have seen a job which looks great but I worry so much I might regret leaving my current job. I know I may not even get an interview but cant help thinking of what ifs! It's private sector, would be a nice pay increase but little further to travel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now