Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think my sister was a bit insensitive Re Holiday

(183 Posts)
NachoAddict Sun 09-Feb-14 18:53:36

Dp was made redundant towards the end of last year. We had booked a holiday prior to this but not paid the full balance. Dp is still out of work, the balance needs paying next week so we have decided we will have to cancel it. We will loose the 800 non refundable deposit.

My sister rang me after hearing about it and asked if they can pay the outstanding balance and have the holiday.

So am I being UR to think she is being a bit insensitive cheeky or is she being wise since we will be losing the money anyway?

I do hope she is also offering to pay the £800 you've already laid out!

WelshMaenad Sun 09-Feb-14 18:55:26

Is she planning on compensating you for at least part of the deposit or just expecting you to subsidise her break?

She's a bit of a chancer...but why not?

HamletsSister Sun 09-Feb-14 18:55:43

She is being cheeky but would be being helpful if she also gave you the £800 you have already paid rather than just getting a discount. Also, flights etc may be non- transferable.

BeJesus Sun 09-Feb-14 18:55:48

Did she offer you any money for the amount you are loosing? (I am guessing that she didn't sad )

fruitloop84 Sun 09-Feb-14 18:55:51

Is she going to give you the 800 you have paid?

ilovechips Sun 09-Feb-14 18:56:28

So she effectively wants you to give her £800? Hmm I see the logic as you've lost it anyway but mightily insensitive I think.

Hassled Sun 09-Feb-14 18:57:13

Sorry - is she paying the £800 as well as the outstanding?

Or is she letting you "lose" the £800 and having a heavily subsidised holiday at your expense?

ILoveFrogs Sun 09-Feb-14 18:57:16

Oh that is cheeky! She should at the very least refund you £400 of the lost deposit.... Although I think she really should pay the whole £800 to you.

manicinsomniac Brazil Sun 09-Feb-14 18:57:50

depends - if she is going to pay for the holiday in full and therefore stop you losing out of the money and mean you get some back at a time when you really need it then I think it is a nice thing for her to do.

If she's looking for a cheapie then she is being cheeky and insensitive, yes.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Sun 09-Feb-14 18:57:53

She's not going to pay you what you've paid out?

can you say yes, give us the £X we have already paid and then the rest to pay is £Y.

Or even ask for half of your deposit. I suppose her going is better than a wasted deposit but I am surprised your sister cant think that it might be nice to give you something back.

spanieleyes Sun 09-Feb-14 18:58:06

I would split the £800 so in effect you "only" lose £400 and she saves £400 off the normal price. Seems fair!

NachoAddict Sun 09-Feb-14 18:58:39

No mention of her giving us any of the 800 we would be losing. She asked first what we would be losing by cancelling and then said about if they paid the balance could they have it. So yes we would be subsidising their holiday.

Ifcatshadthumbs Sun 09-Feb-14 18:59:13

Wow you've gotta have some balls to ask to profit from your sisters misfortune. If she had offered you say £400 of your deposit on top that would have been a good offer

Hassled Sun 09-Feb-14 18:59:15

In that case I'd tell her to piss right off.

BarbarianMum Sun 09-Feb-14 18:59:49

<<She's a bit of a chancer...but why not?>>

Ultimately this I think - I'd rather see he £800 used than wasted. But that would be her birthday and Christmas presents for the next 10 years. And I'd feel a lot bit sorry for myself (not noble but true).

WelshMaenad Sun 09-Feb-14 19:00:22

She can fuck off to the far end of fucking unreasonable avenue is what she can do .

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Sun 09-Feb-14 19:00:53

So then talk to her. Tell her that she can have the holiday is she pays you the deposit too.

or half of it.

TheReluctantCountess England Sun 09-Feb-14 19:01:02

She is extremely insensitive.

LIZS Sun 09-Feb-14 19:02:09

"" and the charge to change names etc.

pootlebug Sun 09-Feb-14 19:02:10

Grabby cow. I suggest you split the 800 deposit - you get some money back, she still gets a discounted holiday.

beginnings Sun 09-Feb-14 19:02:35

What welsh said.

What a mean thing to do to a sister!

Bornin1984 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:02:37

Can't u change to a holiday within the 800 budget sounds like u need the break

expatinscotland Sun 09-Feb-14 19:02:49

Cheeky bitch. I'd tell her to sling it. Yes, I really would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now