Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder what the hell has happened to colds?

(84 Posts)
Mumoftwoyoungkids Sun 09-Feb-14 13:34:49

I have a cold. Remember colds? Feel a bit rotten but carry on with your day as normal with the help of lemsip?

Not this cold. I can't get out of bed. I hurt. All over. My temp is so high I am alternating between shivering and wondering if My face is going to set on fire. I had to crawl to the loo. I have a cough that make my wonder if my lungs are going to explode.

How has this happened? Are colds worse these days? Am I getting old? I'm only 34 - surely too young for "bit of a cold but it has floored me".

DonnaDishwater Sun 09-Feb-14 13:35:57

Sounds like you have the flu!

Kveta Sun 09-Feb-14 13:37:59

that sounds more like flu tbh.

there was an utterly miserable cold doing the rounds here before christmas - every flu and cold symptom bar the fever (thus not flu!), but i have had 2 more mild colds since then, so think bad one was a one off.

I had proper flu this time last year and it was very grim indeed. hope you feel better soon

Honeysweet Sun 09-Feb-14 13:43:23

Agree re flu. Had it 4 times in my 20s. But not before or since.
There is a world of difference between a cold and flu.

AmberLeaf Sun 09-Feb-14 13:43:27

That's flu.

Can someone get out to get you some neurofen cold and flu [or boots equivalent]

Mumoftwoyoungkids Sun 09-Feb-14 13:44:42

I don't think it's flu. I have had flu. I wanted to die. I don't want to die. I can read or go on the IPad. My memory of flu is that I couldn't do anything except stare at the ceiling (wanting to die).

(I think I might have been a bit of a drama queen when I had flu.)

Glitterfeet Sun 09-Feb-14 13:46:38

If you can still crawl to the toilet then it's not flu grin

Honeysweet Sun 09-Feb-14 13:47:21

I did think that I couldnt have gone on MN when I had flu.

Fallenangle Sun 09-Feb-14 13:48:14

There are different strains of flu so they don't always have the same severity. Do not believe the TV ads that tell you you can take some concoction and you will be right As rain, you won't.

Jinty64 Sun 09-Feb-14 13:48:44

I have a really rotten cold. No energy, throat like sandpaper, nose like Rudolph, thumping headache and shivery. I'm up and about but I couldn't have gone to work. And this is day 3!

hermionepotter Sun 09-Feb-14 13:49:28

is this like a new test for flu.. can you still MN? grin

Glitterfeet Sun 09-Feb-14 13:51:06

Who cares what virus causes the illness. You have my sympathy, I've had a bout of something similar a few months ago and it wasn't nice.

Glitterfeet Sun 09-Feb-14 13:54:34

They should issue iPads and MN app at hospitals, if you can use it, it's not flu. Who needs blood tests. You definitely can't use play candy crush with a migraine.

marryinhaste Sun 09-Feb-14 13:57:16

I've had this twice since new year - have had to take time off work and felt so lame saying it was a cold, but the hot/cold ill sweats and feeling of no energy meant I just couldn't go to the office. But not bad enough to be flu.

I'm 35, so maybe it's a mid-thirties reaction to colds grin

Thumbwitch Sun 09-Feb-14 13:58:35

Still sounds like flu. It might be a less virulent strain of flu than what you had last time, or your body might be a little more resilient than last time, but if you have a high temp, then it's far more likely to be flu than a cold.

Towanda Sun 09-Feb-14 14:03:12

Sounds very much like flu. I managed to drag myself on the school run and to the GP where I was told I had flu with similar symptoms to you.

I've also had flu so bad I could barely lift my head from the pillow for over a week.

Pipbin Japan Sun 09-Feb-14 14:06:24

My mother's test for flu is this:

If there was a £50 note at the bottom of the garden and you wouldn't go and get it, then you have the 'flu.

Chunderella Sun 09-Feb-14 14:09:29

Aren't there bugs and viruses that hover somewhere between cold and flu in severity? I thought it could be a bit of a venn diagram situation. Similarly, I once had something that was basically a nasty cold without any of the respiratory systems, iyswim. But not as bad as full on flu.

GlitzAndGiggles Sun 09-Feb-14 14:11:53

I had flu when I was 19 it was horrible. I too was switching from hot to cold within minutes. I even turned down a Chinese so I was defo ill

jellyandcake Sun 09-Feb-14 14:27:54

I have something similar to you, OP. Feeling a bit better on day 5. No Lemsip here as 29 weeks pregnant and the gross cold symptoms brought a very unwelcome return to the 'morning sickness' I had up til week 23. Really not happy! Had thé flu vaccine this winter and I know I haven't had flu but it's a 'flu-like' virus imo! It's definitely going around and knocking people for six, whatever it is.

There is a terrible virus going around this year. Nearly all my patients have had it and they are miserable. If you am can get out of bed it's not flu, that's my test!
Whatever name you want to put on it, it's still rotten. thanks

Abbierhodes Sun 09-Feb-14 14:35:02

There's a nasty virus going round here that feels very much like flu. The main difference is it doesn't last as long. I had the 'wanting to die' feeling for less than a day. A week later I'm still very tired.

Hope you feel better soon.

I'm on day 8 of the flu. Starting to feel human again. Still don't have energy and have cold symptoms but my temperature is back down.
I'm pregnant too and had the flu jab but the doctor said that this is a strain of flu they didn't expect so didn't include it in the vaccine,
Going to attempt to go to work tomorrow. Feel like that is adventurous - I haven't left my bed really since last Sunday.
Hope we all feel better soon.

tryingreallytrying Sun 09-Feb-14 14:49:17

Yup, I have it too. It's horrible, isn't it? But not flu - I had flu jab too. And I can go to the loo - but going downstairs/household stuff still an effort.

tryingreallytrying Sun 09-Feb-14 14:49:45

Seems to be doing the rounds here (around London) atm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now