To think my neighbour should park in his own space

(68 Posts)
BabyMummy29 Sun 09-Feb-14 11:34:39

My neighbour has his own disabled parking space marked outside his house. However for large parts of the day he doesn't use it, but leaves his car outwith it, This reduces the space available to non-disabled drivers and makes me wonder why he needs it if he rarely uses it.

There is probably nothing the rest of us can do, but it is very annoying to come home after work and struggle to find somewhere to park.

BabyMummy29 Mon 10-Feb-14 07:55:02

LOL MSM that's a plan.

And he does still have the badge, as it sits on the dashboard of his car while it's parked in the non-disabled area of the street

HSMMaCM Sun 09-Feb-14 23:02:39

My mum has a badge, do you want me to send her round to park outside his house?

deakymom Sun 09-Feb-14 22:24:45

my friend had a disabled parking space put outside his house he needed it because he could not walk far and he lived on a road without off road parking (victorian terrace) he used it and left his car there when it was not in use which is the purpose of having the thing in the first place

according to the regulations it would be issued if the disabled person owns/drives the car and is resident at the address it cant be used for carers or visitors but anyone else with a blue badge can use them

so he should use it not to do so is a bit on the petty side and a waste of money you don't pay for it the council does its for your use and anyone else with a blue badge but if all he is doing is sitting in his house it should be there not wasted he is baiting the OP good job he didnt try it on my husband he threatened to put a nail in the tyre of the nasty person who parked (deliberately) in front of our house when we were picking our son up from hospital who had just got over bronchiolitis (the bloke took his car off his driveway and parked slap bang in the middle of our house which fits two cars he then went back inside his house) trouble is my husband would have done it to

SirChenjin Sun 09-Feb-14 22:06:31

In which case - the OP should phone the Council and find out what the procedure is. Bottom line is - if he's got a blue badge and he's asked for a space outside his house then he should do the decent and neighbourly thing and bloody well use it - not keep it for his pals whilst using spaces which are required by other people.

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 09-Feb-14 21:51:33

Maybe he doesn't have the badge anymore though?

Fairenuff Sun 09-Feb-14 21:35:47

candy we all know that it's not just for him but it was specifically put there because he requested it and now he doesn't use it. If he hadn't asked for it in the first place, it wouldn't be there and anyone could park on that part of the road.

We also all know that OP does not own a space in the road. That is not what we are discussing. We are talking about the fact that he requested a disabled space to be marked outside his house and then he didn't use it.

BTW I recently moved house with only on street parking. A neighbour has a disabled bay near her house. We share it, so thus, neither of us need it all of the time, so should it be removed?

I don't understand what you mean about this. The space is designed to be used by drivers with a badge and that is what you are doing isn't it. Why would you want it removed?

If no-one was using it, like on this thread, then it should be removed.

BabyMummy29 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:25:23

Fairenuff exactly the point I was trying to get across.

Glad some people could understand it.

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 09-Feb-14 21:25:13

BTW I recently moved house with only on street parking. A neighbour has a disabled bay near her house. We share it, so thus, neither of us need it all of the time, so should it be removed?

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 09-Feb-14 21:24:04

But a disabled space is never for one person, regardless of who requests it.

Also, the OP does not own the space outside of her house.

2 simple facts.

Fairenuff Sun 09-Feb-14 21:16:59

Seems a bit bonkers for people to assume he doesn't need it when it's really hard to get a disabled badge

No candy people are assuming he doesn't need it because he doesn't use it. If he needed it, he would use it.

He doesn't have to park there but he requested the space to be reserved, which the council agreed to and painted it in for him and now he's not using it.

Therefore, OP I think there is a good chance that the council will revoke the space.

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 09-Feb-14 21:14:01

Sorry but what support do you want?

BabyMummy29 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:13:10

Thanks for your support candy

I have never claimed that is was

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 09-Feb-14 21:12:05

It doesn't matter who requested it, it's not his space. Neither is the space outside of your house. Tough shit.

BabyMummy29 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:11:00

They are such a pain in the arse of a couple I've decided just to contact the council although I'm sure they'll say there's nothing they can do.

Yet another downside of having these lovely people living next to me!

CuttingOutTheCrap Sun 09-Feb-14 21:06:06

oops, xpost re the wife driving. Although regardless of the wife saying the Council were coming to paint 'his' space, it's likely to be simply a disabled badge one, for him or anyone else with a badge (likely one they asked for though!)

BabyMummy29 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:05:44

The disabled markings were painted by council workmen, at his request as he obviously felt he needed it. I can't see the point or need of him having the bloody thing if he rarely uses it.

Viviennemary Sun 09-Feb-14 20:09:56

Is this car parking space he has painted out official or has he just done it himself. If he has I would ring the council. He doesn't own the road.

IamInvisible Sun 09-Feb-14 20:08:26

Maybe he doesn't qualify for a badge any longer. Or maybe, as he pays his road tax, he is parking where he bloody well likes as he is allowed to, within the law!

Pilgit Sun 09-Feb-14 20:04:07

My old next door neighbour got one painted in. She really couldn't walk that far so it was a godsend for her. Although she was an absolute cow! She always used it and had to go through quite a few hoops to get it. If there is no real need then the council may remove it.

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 09-Feb-14 19:51:29

Unless you live in specific London boroughs, disabled spaces are NOT personal spaces, they are for anyone with a disabled badge. So, he's not avoiding using 'his' space, he is using the road freely as anyone is allowed to do.

Squeakygate Sun 09-Feb-14 19:48:29

It's obviously sothey can get a good view when they twitch their curtains! A great big van parked in front of their house would block their view.

CuttingOutTheCrap Sun 09-Feb-14 19:42:21

Is it 'his' space, installed and intended for his use, or just a disabled space that he sometimes parks in because he has a badge?

Perhaps he's leaving the space free for someone else to use when there's another space free that he's happy to use? Maybe someone else (his wife?) is driving alone when its not parked in the space?

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 09-Feb-14 19:41:21

red Well, quite clearly it was a typo, my point stands though.

BabyMummy29 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:35:28

I know the badge is for him because (back in the days when they spoke to me), his wife told me and that the council were coming that afternoon to paint his disabled parking space. He is the only person who drives the car as she can't drive

redbinneo Sun 09-Feb-14 19:32:42

Or even professionals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now