AIBU to think 6 is too young for a Valentine's disco?

(41 Posts)
KarmaVersusGeorgeOsbourne Sun 09-Feb-14 10:32:10

My DD's school is having a Valentine's Day disco next week. It is on a school night and is from 7-9pm. DD is usually in bed for 7. It is a proper 'disco' rather than a children's party, FWIW- they have hired a local DJ who I have encountered at a children's party before & I wasn't impressed for a number of reasons. He does the whole dark room/disco lights/thumping music, and frankly I thought it was awful (though I had to sit there and endure, probably much for fun for the sugar crazed childrengrin)

DD is, of course, desperate to go. Am I being very unfair by saying no? I feel that the disco on its own is a bit much for smaller children, but I am also not entirely happy at the concept of it being a 'Valentine's Day' theme. This is the first year the school has done this.

AIBU and being a pearl-clutching bore?

thegreylady Sun 09-Feb-14 11:10:04

I 'd compromise. Let her go for an hour then collect her. You will probably find she has had enough by then. If she hasn't maybe you can wait till the end. I'd let her go if all her friends are going and I wouldn't worry about the theme smile

Fence sitting.
I have nothing against late nights, discos and fun if a good number of the younger DCs are going.

I'm slightly uncomfortable at calling it a valentine disco. I've had to do posters for one and trying to keep the theming light so as not to put off the boys.

I also don't like GF/BF talk at primary, DD2's year 6 got silly had had to be told to stop falling out about their 'love lives'.

Trouble is the week before Feb 1/2 term is a very convenient date to have a PTA event and it coincides with the 14th

MamaLazarou Sun 09-Feb-14 11:17:30

I don't see the harm at all in them having a Valentine's disco but it's a bit weird that it's on so late and why on Earth are they not having it on Valentine's Day?

My son is 4 and going to his school's Valentine's disco next Friday. He's really looking forward to it.

Redcliff Sun 09-Feb-14 11:18:06

I am not keen on the valentines theme - my DS made me a card last year at school and I was confused - to me its always about romantic love not anything else . My DS's school had an end of term disco 4-5 - much better timing .

JohnCusacksWife Sun 09-Feb-14 11:19:43

YABU about objecting to it being a disco....most kids love running round in the dark and I think you're reading way too much into the Valentines thing. There'll be no slow dancing if that's what you're worried about! But YANBU about the timing.

Our school always have a Valentines disco (as well as a Halloween disco and a Summer disco) but we split it into 2. 6.30-7.45 for P1-3 and 8-9.15 for P4-7. As well as dancing we have games, a tuck shop and a stall doing tattoos, selling neon sticks etc. the kids love it and its a great money spinner for the Parent Council.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 09-Feb-14 11:29:23

The disco thing is fine, kids love it. The timing is way too late though it probably won't do any harm. I'd let her go.

CSIJanner Sun 09-Feb-14 12:10:36

YANBU

DC1 has a disco next Thursday - didnt even twig it was possibly a valentines one. DC1 is 5 sodisco part 1 for reception, yrs1-3 starts at 1630 and ends at 1815. Disco part 2 for the older classes is from 1830-2015. But there's a tuck shop, parents, the music isn't too loud and there's a quiet room next to the tuck shop (and parents) if its too much from the lights and music.

KarmaVersusGeorgeOsbourne Sun 09-Feb-14 12:12:40

I think I'll let her go, but do what thegreylady says, and collect her earlier. She doesn't cope well with late nights, so I think that will be about right.

Towanda Sun 09-Feb-14 12:19:38

Yanbu about the timing. Dc's school is doing separate discos for YR/KS1 and KS2. The KS2 one finishes at 7.30 and that's late enough, imo, given that it's on a school night.

However yabu to think she's too young because it's Valentine's day themed. It's just music and dancing at that age.

One night? 7-9? So, let me get this straight... She will be in bed every other night at 7? Presumably by a whistle ordering her...? (Sorry watching sound of music!)

One night just two hours past her bed time? Yup please ensure she doesn't go. How truly dreadful. The world must end. The HT must be flogged in the square with wet sponges.

Maybe call the DM for a cross face photo/article?

Thudercatsrule Sun 09-Feb-14 12:59:57

My boys are 6 and 7 have just been to their school disco and they loved it! It was 5-7, dark hall, disco, flashing lights etc. They spent most of the time running around playing it, as long as there's lots of supervision for the kids running 100mph I think it's great for kids to attend.

I agree 9pm is to late to finish, there's no need for it to be that late, but it's a one off.

fatlazymummy Sun 09-Feb-14 13:45:11

My kids used to love their school discos in primary school. I would have felt like a proper spoil sport if I had stopped them going. I agree 9pm is a bit late at that age, but one late night isn't going to hurt.Isn't half term the week after?,(it is here), if so she can recharge her batteries then.

KarmaVersusGeorgeOsbourne Sun 09-Feb-14 16:19:59

No need to be quite so bitchy Minnie, a 7pm bedtime for a 6 year old is hardly noteworthy, and as I have already explained, she does not cope well with lack of sleep. Any other comments you'd like to make while you are at it?

clary Sun 09-Feb-14 16:39:29

Valentines aspect of the disco is fine - probably no more than a few red hearts about the place.

7-9pm is a bit late and a bit long tho. We do discos at our junior school, an hour is plenty and we run them yr 3-4 6-7pm, yr 5-6 7.15-8.15pm. That's waaaaaay enough time.

Maybe volunteer for the PTFA (who I imagine are organising this) and suggest an earlier and shorter event?

clary Sun 09-Feb-14 16:40:14

I mean of course an earlier event next time.

I'd let her go to this one but offer to pick her up early (she'll be fed up by 8pm I imagine)

OpalQuartz Sun 09-Feb-14 16:48:44

A child at my dd's nursery had a disco for her birthday. Children ranged from age 2-4. They had a nail painting stall and fake tattoo stall. There was a hired DJ and the music was ridiculously loud which a lot of the children didn't like. They couldn't talk to each other, no party games and to be honest a lot of the children looked either bored or overwhelmed. It just wasn't very age appropriate to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now