Boots contact lens plan?!

(39 Posts)
brokenhearted55a Sat 08-Feb-14 22:33:42

Decide to sign up to this today because of the freebies and free aftercare.

Am going to sign up to the monthly direct debit.
The lenses are provided quarterly though. fine.

I get told that I have to pay straight away for the lenses on direct debit: money taken immediately. But the lenses will be provided in arrears. So I start paying for lenses immediately and don't get given the lenses for 3 months ...until after I've paid the first quarter.

In the interim I have to buy boxes of 30 lenses while waiting for the lenses I am already paying for to be sent to me. So I'm paying twice then?

Is it just me or is that utterly barmy? Who pays for something in advance to have it provided 3:months in arrears, to have to pay for.lenses in the interim too.

Surely they have got that wrong?

I'm on the boots lenses by post scheme. It makes sense to me. It's not a credit scheme, you need to have paid in full for the lenses before you receive them. If you need lenses in the meantime, you need to pay for them.
The helpline is good - you can call and request extra lenses or to pause the scheme if you're not using the lenses as quickly as they send them. I called once to complain about a batch of lenses that all broke getting them out of the packet, and they sent more, no questions asked. It's great being able to see the optician for as many follows up appts as I need.

Could you order the lenses online from a cheap provider until the scheme orders arrive?

brokenhearted55a Sat 08-Feb-14 22:42:50

I guess so but it seems a load of hassle.

I might just get them from a cheap provider full stop.

Seriously2712 Sat 08-Feb-14 22:45:22

I use daysoft lenses- v.reasonably priced and I can get them to arrive by post monthly.

Try them in the meantime. Only costs me �12.48 per month inc postage. Never had any issues :-)

WitchWay Sat 08-Feb-14 22:46:02

I like the scheme especially as it means my expensive-thin-spectacle-lenses-I-need-because-I'm-so-effing-blind are half price. A "snip" at £200 instead of £400 grin

snugglesnook Sat 08-Feb-14 22:47:10

I used to use a cheap website for contact lenses but I joined Boots scheme and you get free annual eye tests and contact lens checkups, and 10% off Boots products so it works out better than buying lenses cheaper online.

pittcity Sat 08-Feb-14 22:48:52

You also get free eye tests, discounts on glasses and 10% off Boots brand products with CLBP. I also sell excess cleaner on EBay. Worked it all out and it was about the same as paying for it all seperately and far less hassle.
Also my Boots optician gave me free trial lenses when I first signed up and when they changed my prescription...

FallenFlower Sat 08-Feb-14 22:49:15

It's the same at opticians...I'm on the Vision Express scheme, and I had to do the same thing.

Euphemia Sat 08-Feb-14 22:59:54

I gave up on Boots. I moved from Glasgow to Dundee two years ago and their computer couldn't handle it. hmm

I kept getting letters every three months telling me I was due a lens check in Glasgow. I would phone up and remind them I'd moved, they would assure me they'd sorted it, and three months later ... angry

Eventually, after 18m of this I got a letter saying they'd taken me off their contact lens scheme as I'd never attended any lens checks! Well not in bloody Glasgow I hadn't! I'd been going in Dundee for 18m! Eejits.

Another phone call assured me it had been sorted and I was back on the scheme, in Dundee. Until no more lenses ever arrived. So I phoned to find out why, and discovered I'd been taken off the scheme in July. Aaarrrrgggh!

So I went to Vision Express. smile

brokenhearted55a Sat 08-Feb-14 23:00:47

Lol ok

A few options to choose from!

AgeingFop Sun 09-Feb-14 06:02:29

Ha! I was going to sign up to get the half-price specs, etc. However, I only need a contact lens in one eye (not that unusual I'm told) and their computer couldn't cope with this. The lady suggested that I start a plan for both eyes, get twice as many lenses as I need (and pay twice as much as I need) then cancel my contract after 6 months. Oh, and I'd wait 3 months before the first lot arrived.

Gave it up as a bad job and ordered a box of lenses for £15 on the internet.

londonrach Sun 09-Feb-14 09:13:20

Been with specsavers lensmail plan for years. Alot cheaper and you get aftercare, free glasses(occasional offer), free eyesight test and contact lens test. I cant afford boots and the one time i was unfaithfully to specsavers with boots i wasnt impressed with boots. Alot of flapping around with new machines and not knowing what they are doing.

londonrach Sun 09-Feb-14 09:14:14

Unfaithful no extra ly...

Eminybob Sun 09-Feb-14 09:22:46

I agree with londonrach. Specsavers over boots any day. Cheaper, better service. I got free specs too but if you're as blind as me be prepared to pay quite a lot extra for thin lenses.

everydayaschoolday Sun 09-Feb-14 09:24:01

I was with D&A now Boots for years, but was costing me a fortune (£38 p/m). I stopped for a while and wore specs. I've now just joined Specsavers contact lenses for a fraction of the price of D&A (£18). Free lens trial (currently wearing) monthly Direct Debit for the lenses they provide that month (so no paying in advance/receiving lenses in arrears) and free aftercare and a pair of spectacles. Found the service to be equally as professional and I'm pleased with the move. Seriously, don't commit to Boots until you've at least looked into SpecSavers.

horriblebosses Sun 09-Feb-14 09:26:42

Try getlenses online, really cheap

londonrach Sun 09-Feb-14 09:38:46

Im really blind. Last time i got the extra extra thin lenses and lovely glasses for 40 pounds for two special offer not seen since. Ive been with lensmail for 20 years now. Apart 12 years ago my eyes itched. I phoned up specsavers to ask about them. I was ordered to go in. Seen within 5 mins(free), given some abs, to drop in my eye, another free check made 5 days later and i was told to wear glasses until then. Id scratched my lens with my nail. They replaced the damaged lens free. All sorted and very impressed with the professionalism of specsavers. Not had a single problem since with eyes.

lgwilk Sun 09-Feb-14 09:51:27

I did the boots thing for a while but don't use contacts enough to warrant it so cancelled. For some reason they never cancelled the 10pc discount on all boots stuff. Bonus smile

dappleton Sun 09-Feb-14 10:04:00

YABU - think about it.....
You are going to pay for something over 3 installments, once you have paid you get the product - plus all the other advantages. Until you have paid the 3 installments you have not paid for the product that will be posted to you.
If you need more contact lenses to get you through the first 3 months then obviously you have to pay for them separately from the scheme - but this is a one off until the scheme gets in motion.
If you took the product today what's to stop you cancelling your direct debit with your bank and never paying them. This is why you can't pay in arrears.
The scheme works and does save you money while ensuring good eye-care.

Other people who have had problems with changes of addresses and the scheme not coping with lenses for one eye have just spoken to the wrong customer service assistants in store - none of these things are a problem.....or at least they weren't about 10yrs ago when I worked for this company, perhaps the system has changed since.

Go back, speak to the manager, they will sort it all out for you and explain it to you again if necessary.

brokenhearted55a Sun 09-Feb-14 11:53:01

They should supply the lenses monthly and not quarterly in that case.

Ageingfop - I only wear a lens in one eye - nice to meet someone else the same. You can use the boots scheme, I pay £20/month for really good quality single use lenses and get a delivery of 60 lenses every three months.

WelshMoth Sun 09-Feb-14 16:45:11

I only have one thing to say...

daysoft.co.uk

They rock!

Scholes34 Sun 09-Feb-14 16:53:43

Quite happy with my gas permeables I bought for £99 two years ago.

RedCountryRoads Sun 09-Feb-14 16:56:19

Most contact lenses only come in packs so 3 for monthly lenses (So quarterly) And legally they aren't allowed to sell them out of the packets which is why most schemes send the lenses every 3 months. Dailes are different and they come in boxes of 30 so could be sent monthly if you're having 30 pairs every month but any less a month and they would have to be sent quarterly. Otherwise its kind of like opening a multipack and buying one product at a time. it cant be done.

gordyslovesheep Sun 09-Feb-14 16:58:34

yep I use Daysoft - they are fantastic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now